Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I'm liking the nacelles with their faux turboprop look.
I didn't see you leave the swap meet the other day but did you sell your airplanes that you brought down there?
I am lot of free time coming up and I am going to fix my easy sport and assemble the Kaos by next weekend
ttl
Michael Johnston
Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
I didn't see you leave the swap meet the other day but did you sell your airplanes that you brought down there?
I am lot of free time coming up and I am going to fix my easy sport and assemble the Kaos by next weekend
ttl
Michael Johnston
I sold off the Force One at the end of the day but not the Trainer 60. I should have gotten their earlier. It sounded like a lot of people,myself included, were disappointed that the city (Denton, TX) wouldn't let them have their auction. My impression is that it was an overzealous employee in the city office. They had a good crowd otherwise.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds like a great swap meet! I wish I could have been there.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 PM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I sold off the Force One at the end of the day but not the Trainer 60. I should have gotten their earlier. It sounded like a lot of people,myself included, were disappointed that the city (Denton, TX) wouldn't let them have their auction. My impression is that it was an overzealous employee in the city office. They had a good crowd otherwise.
Matt, Eddie Taylor told me the other day that the club might not have a swap meet next year because the city is charging $3000.00 a day to use the meeting hall. I patched that hole in the easy sport that I told you about I am going to to fill the gaps with filler and lay some thin fiberglass over it to add some strength! I want to start assembly of my Kaos ARF that I bought at the swapmeet.
Take Care
Michael
Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Well this builder is alive and well and living in Central France and I'll be building a Big Guff over the winter!

My Big Guff short-kit arrived safely and in good condition from Bob at Laser Design Services yesterday morning at 10.12 local time. Big Guff - $135.00 : Laser Design Services

Two days to get from Texas to Chicago O'Hare, six days to clear customs in Paris and a further five days to travel the 220 miles (353 kms) to my house in La Creuse. Vive La France! Mind you, four of those days were weekends and two were Mondays.

It cost me an extra €38 in taxes and import duties (S43.35 US or £33.82 Sterling.)

It's certainly big enough with its eight foot span, five foot six inch fuselage length and fifteen inch chord! ( 2.4 metres, 1.58metres and 38cms respectively.) 1 metre rule lends scale to the plans. I have a number of decisions to make about its construction. The wing as built by Dr Walt Good had two full-depth 1/8" balsa spars at approximately 25% and 75% chord. For me to replicate this method would involve cutting each one of Bob's lovely laser-cut wing ribs into three parts. I am going to modify the construction to a more conventional 1/4" square spars with shear webs in the postions where the original spars were, but should I use balsa or something a little stronger like basswood for the spars?

As for the fuselage, I think I am going to build it as stock. Sherwood Heggen's version over on RC Groups https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=Big+Guff is certainly stronger with its plywood doublers and 1/16" sheet covering but I think I am going to go with the original structure; 1/4" stick fuselage, forward section covered in 1/16" sheet balsa, grain vertical, and the whole thing covered in 1/32" balsa grain horizontal. I haven't used 1/32" balsa since I built a competition free-flighter called a Gossamer about fifty-eight years ago which was not a success, but if I crash it I'll break it anyway and if I can't fly a three-channel vintage model after thirty year's flying experience, I should give up the hobby! I may extend the side cheeks to allow for the long crankshaft of the Laser 70 and incorporate a little extra downthrust as the Laser may be a little more powerful than Sherwood's Saito 65.

Some claim that you could simply build a stick fuselage and reinforce the nose with ply doublers then cover the fuselage in silk, nylon or Solartex. Doubtless this would work but would it still be a Big Guff?

As for the radio installation I will use standard servos as far forward as possible to actuate the rudder and throttle and fit a micro servo in the tailplane for the elevator. I could easily fit a standard servo on its side in the forward fuselage for the elevator and use closed loop cables but the "up" cable would have to exit the fuselage well forward of the tailplane and it would look rather unsightly in my view. I will probably go for an HS 82 MG metal geared servo for extra peace of mind. I know I will not be performing aerobatics with this model, it's just a belt, braces and piece of string sort of thing.

I have followed Sherwood Heggen's build log with great interest and he has already privately given me some advice on the build. If my model comes out as successively as his I'll be very satisfied.

Once I get three repairs out of the way and finish off a Baron I intend to give as a gift, I'll make a start.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

"It cost me an extra €38 in taxes and import duties (S43.35 US or £33.82 Sterling.)"

The price you pay for living to such close proximity to good food and wine!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still here, don't know where I'm going to get building supplies from now that Hobbico is out of business. And Carl Goldberg kits no longer available. I guess I can design and market my own designs.
Well, this builder is still here...
Old 08-15-2018, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Steve S. Helland
Still here, don't know where I'm going to get building supplies from now that Hobbico is out of business. And Carl Goldberg kits no longer available. I guess I can design and market my own designs.
Well, this builder is still here...
What do you like to build Steve? I recently had short kits cut fior these designs and the price was pretty reasonable. It's a great way to go.

Mike

Attached Files
Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by thailazer

Nothing wrong with ARFs. All you have to do is throw some balsa at them and sand away all the parts that don't like like an airplane!
Hey Matt, are putting 3 glow engines in this bad boy?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

I am interested in building a type of model that isn't kitted anymore. The shoulder type with ailerons like the Goldberg Falcon lll.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 PM
FlyerInOKC

I am interested in building a type of model that isn't kitted anymore. The shoulder type with ailerons like the Goldberg Falcon lll.
How about an Ugly Stik? Das Ugly Stik | The Balsa Workbench
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plans for the Falcon 56 are available at outerzone.com. Here's a link to one of them: Falcon 56

I preferred the 56 of the Falcon series though all of them were good fliers. Taught a number of folks to fly on them.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 AM
born2build

Sig's website still shows the Kavalier and the mid-star 40. Limiting yourself to a shoulder wing sure cuts down on your choices.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Have fun, build a Something Xtra. They are a blast to fly, docile at low rates, wicked at high rates, and very forgiving. I love doing nose high slow speed landings with it.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well it seems I don't have enough projects sitting on the shelf. Bob over at Laser Design Services mentioned he could cut one of these and I can resist anything but temptation so here is my new toy to build!

Tail detail

Mostof the fuselage

Wood pack

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-23-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 AM
born2build

SWEET! You do realize we're gonna want a lot more than photos, right?
Ant chance of a build thread? How about specs? Is that 75% scaled up, or down?
C'mon, now. Don't be such a tease!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by born2build
SWEET! You do realize we're gonna want a lot more than photos, right?
Ant chance of a build thread? How about specs? Is that 75% scaled up, or down?
C'mon, now. Don't be such a tease!
This is 75% of the original Nick Ziroli design. Nick designed his with a 86" wingspan, 72 length and 50cc to 75cc engine with custom gear.
My version will be a 64.5" wingspan, 54" length and use a .90 two cycle with Robart 605HD gear.
I have a couple to finish and a few ahead of it but when I do start I'll post pictures. Looking at the plans I like the way Ziroli designs his airplanes.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:59 AM
born2build

Thanks, Buddy.
Yes. Nick Ziroli uses very traditional structures and techniques. My understanding is, he is not above deviating from exact scale for better flight performance. Just a heads-up.
Dave Platt is another designer I like. I built his 1/5 Waco from a Pica kit many years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Have fun!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have the plans and fiberglass for a Brian Taylor 1/5th scale Spitfire Mk1A. Its a great looking bird but more scale than a Top Flite. I just need to find someone in the USA that will cut a short kit I can afford.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to build,but i'm not that good at it yet though..lol Some day I hope to have the skills to build this Spartan Model 7W Executive 1/4 Scale I'm getting ready to start building a Hostetler 27% Extra 300XS. The TF P-40 I was building got put on the shelf until I can get electric retracts for it. I may do a build thread for the Extra but i'm not sure yet.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:14 PM
born2build

This is my Taylorcraft from a Great Planes kit, Converted to EP.
Originally Posted by drube
I like to build,but i'm not that good at it yet though..lol Some day I hope to have the skills to build this Spartan Model 7W Executive 1/4 Scale I'm getting ready to start building a Hostetler 27% Extra 300XS. The TF P-40 I was building got put on the shelf until I can get electric retracts for it. I may do a build thread for the Extra but i'm not sure yet.
Kinda diving into the deep end, eh buddy?
Building skills like any other, are acquired over time. After nearly 40 years, I still make stupid mistakes.
The best advice I can give? Get the best tools you can afford, use good lighting, and take your time.
Personally, my goals are three-fold...Build it light, build it straight, and build it strong.
Oh, and it's gotta look good! No room in my hangar for ugly airplanes!
Keep us posted, okay?
Photos are always welcomed.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:15 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by drube
If you are happy with the airplane then its built good enough. Build for you not anyone else!

Did you HAVE to show the Spartan to me??!!!! I wish it was 1/5th not 1/4 scale. Its been on my short list a long time.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM
drube

Not diving too deep. lol I do have a few kits and a plans build under my belt. I have a lot to learn but love it!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

Oh crapola! He has it in 1/5th too!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:20 PM
drube

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
If you are happy with the airplane then its built good enough. Build for you not anyone else!

Did you HAVE to show the Spartan to me??!!!! I wish it was 1/5th not 1/4 scale. Its been on my short list a long time.

I actually meant to post the 1/5th scale, 1/4 scale is a bit too big for me Here's the 1/5 scale 1/5 scale

Last edited by drube; 08-23-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.