Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Old 01-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
By the way Leroy, I think most don't quite get the reasoning behind the question. It is not the lack of builders but rather the lack of the ability that is the real loss.
When I was younger me and the boys would grab the cane poles, some bread, and head for a lake. Same as I did with my father and he with his father. Now a days no one fishes from the bank in their quest to catch those big ones. Never do they ever think the biggest one caught was simply the time spent on the bank with one's father and/or grandfather. Those are the type of things that are being lost and likely never to return.
One of the first photos on my current build was my grand daughter at my build table. She has more questions than an encyclopedia has answers, but what precious times we have at the table.
My grandsons came out to the shop, looked around and walked back out. They never came to my place in the mountains when they were old enough to go on a hunt of a fishing trip with me and there dad isn't into anything like that.
There last trip here they didn't even go out to the shop, too busy on there cell phones.
Now my foster sons kids are a different story. They fly and are into anything RC related. There dad has been into it sense he was a kid. Bikes and off roading is another top priority and the oldest boy {8} is starting to race in the mini off road Kart truck series this year. If the parents aren't into things neither will the kids.
My oldest grand kids just weren't around me enough, they are in Kansas and I'm out west. Problem is my foster son doesn't build anything these days and is into ARFs, even his sand car was built for him.
I keep a couple small kits on hand in case the boys will be here long enough to hang with me but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

This topic has generated a lot of interest...I think all we can do is build for our own enjoyment and not worry about others. Take pride when you bring your plane to the field, and when someone asks,"Where did you buy that?". Then you can tell them "it" wasn't bought, I made it! You can watch and enjoy their reaction, and who knows that may be just enough of a spark to get them interested in building.

We have a great hobby here, I enjoy building more than I do flying sometimes...but others may get their enjoyment the other way around. To each their own! At the end of the day we all take solace in a small part of the basement where we are working with our hands, our minds and our hearts...

Last edited by VincentJ; 01-24-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Play it Again Sam's is right around the corner from Nice Twice Hobbies. When Denny still owned the place a lot of the guys would eat lunch there. I went in once to pick up a menu, The guys I went to the hobby shop with and I said for years we were going to go there for lunch one day. It still hasn't happened though. It's cheaper to go to a fast food place and spend your money at the hobby shop.
I'm on the south side of town up from the Executive Airport. We have a couple of Edges and Extras plus a Waco parked there that fly over all the time. They sell thrill rides and off of the 15 going towards Ca. is a nice airport that sells rides in gliders. Last year we had a B-29 there for a week selling rides. That plane blocked out the view of the mountains when it took off and did a banking turn. The rumble of the engines shook the windows.
I went to the Sand dollar for blues bands and the lady's lol The RC flying field with huge paved runway was at the north end of decator st i think and all the pros in their pressed futaba shirts were there practicing most of the morning. I went by you in Henderson to stazzes motor cycle shop to look at 60.000 dollar choppers but nothing there i could not build on my own 50,000 dollars cheaper.lol joe
Old 01-24-2015, 12:18 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Well Said VJ,
Now all I have to do it wait for my laser cut kit to arrive.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jr-dub64
Good morning Leroy, I'm a member of NAPS over here. Got into rc a couple years ago after I retired. So I'm kind of a newbie but I built alot of control-line stuff when I was younger. I'm working on a Royal P-38 now which will be kind of long term project but I enjoy the journey. My flying skills may not be up to flying it but the building part is fun. I have a few other planes to fly when the weather gets warmer. Some have some battle scares, but all flyable. A couple of arfs too, not ashamed to say it, but I enjoy the building most of all. I try to have a project on the bench most of the time just to relax with. I've been to Silver Hills a couple of times as a spectator, it is a nice facility. May see you this summer. John.
Maybe we should check each other out some time John, get a cup of coffee and a donut and see if we could get along, ha ha PM me if interested. Leroy
Old 01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by acerc
What is an iphone, a newfangled way to read?
NO it's for those that can't read, spell or drive a straight line and haven't got a clue they are about to get T-Boned or run up some ones tail pipe or piss me off, not in that order.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Gray Beard

The field on the north side of town is Willie McCool and on the east side it's Bennett. Bill Bennett was the one that got the TOC going here in Vegas. The fields are twins but Bennett has better grass in the infields. Both are owned by parks and recreation and cost nothing to fly there. Both are still in operation but the north field has homes encroaching and have flight time rules that don't work well in the summer.
Originally Posted by joebahl
I went to the Sand dollar for blues bands and the lady's lol The RC flying field with huge paved runway was at the north end of decator st i think and all the pros in their pressed futaba shirts were there practicing most of the morning. I went by you in Henderson to stazzes motor cycle shop to look at 60.000 dollar choppers but nothing there i could not build on my own 50,000 dollars cheaper.lol joe
Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I build.very selective though.i fly whatever I am itchy to fly.sometimes are is fun.i bought a masters kit of the hyperbipe.plant to bump the wingspan from 42 to 57 or 60 inches.its on my bucket list.i are warbirds just because it's easier and ready to fly.build kits if I am interested in the subject.would like to do a master ship like the ne at beat fair.and arts are better today but so darn expensive.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It may be a slightly contentious point of view but who says it can only be considered 'built' if it is made out of balsa and covered in a plastic film.

You can indeed 'build' out of foam and I don't mean carved out of a solid block but built with foam formers & ribs and covered in foam sheet.
Obviously there are limitations to size and as most foams are not really fuel proof much better suited to electric.

Here is one I made earlier.

A 32" span scale Fairey Delta 2 EDF constructed in exactly the same way as you could with balsa but using 2mm Depron foam sheet instead.
Builders are still out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2067344  
Old 01-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by Quorneng
It may be a slightly contentious point of view but who says it can only be considered 'built' if it is made out of balsa and covered in a plastic film.

You can indeed 'build' out of foam and I don't mean carved out of a solid block but built with foam formers & ribs and covered in foam sheet.
Obviously there are limitations to size and as most foams are not really fuel proof much better suited to electric.

Here is one I made earlier.

A 32" span scale Fairey Delta 2 EDF constructed in exactly the same way as you could with balsa but using 2mm Depron foam sheet instead.
Builders are still out there.
No one. I have seen a web sited where a fellow sells wood templates for some really hard to build EDF foam planes. I have a great foam cutter made by Gene, goirish, and when I have some extra cash on hand I plan on buying one of this fellows template kits. They look like they are a heck of a project and I want to improve my foam cutting skills. I would like to try it with the nice pink foam too but insulation in my part of the country isn't as big a deal as other places so the local hardware stores don't stock the good foam and I will need to buy a complete sheet. I have been cutting wings and parts for club members with the white foam though. I do OK but need a lot more time on it to get better.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The electric crowd is taking building in some new and exciting directions. Different kinds of foam combined with balsa, light ply, and other materials are helping to create some very interesting flying machines. It was hard for me to get a grip on it at first, as I'm a long time woodworker. It's definitely new territory for builders though.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by yel914
The electric crowd is taking building in some new and exciting directions. Different kinds of foam combined with balsa, light ply, and other materials are helping to create some very interesting flying machines. It was hard for me to get a grip on it at first, as I'm a long time woodworker. It's definitely new territory for builders though.
Not so much here, just flat wing profiles but they fly. One looked good, a profile P-38 but the wing was flapping like a bird. I have offered to cut profile wings for people but there are few takers to the offer.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

In the midst of packing for a move but building a BUSA Force One
Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 PM
rednekk58

I mostly scratch build electric foamies. Stopped flying glow a few years back. As I get older I enjoy building more than flying.
Does not as many builders bother you?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by yel914
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool ply and balsa man myself but could not help but be impressed by this guy on a British website.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/....asp?th=102882
Old 01-25-2015, 07:57 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I was at our club fly-in last weekend, not once, but twice I started to bring my 100cc Ultimate to what I thought was an empty flight line, only to look up and see all 5 pilot boxes filled with people flying electrics! Ugggggggg!!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt2022
I was at our club fly-in last weekend, not once, but twice I started to bring my 100cc Ultimate to what I thought was an empty flight line, only to look up and see all 5 pilot boxes filled with people flying electrics! Ugggggggg!!!!

That is a great argument FOR having fake sound speakers on electric planes. Our club had limits on how long anyone flyer could be in the air, does yours?
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope) Zenoah G23 ECDI; H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), YS F 120; GB Anniv Cub (NIB) FA-56?
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by spaceworm
That is a great argument FOR having fake sound speakers on electric planes. Our club had limits on how long anyone flyer could be in the air, does yours?
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope) Zenoah G23 ECDI; H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), YS F 120; GB Anniv Cub (NIB) FA-56?
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Hey spaceworm you really need to cool your jets before you burn your own butt, must be some of those worms got in your head.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Gray Beard

I have flown at a lot of clubs in a couple different states and have never once heard of a flight time limit?? Makes me wonder about the membership.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Hey spaceworm you really need to cool your jets before you burn your own butt, must be some of those worms got in your head.
Very intelligent response. Reflects the source.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM
TheCalgarian

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I have flown at a lot of clubs in a couple different states and have never once heard of a flight time limit?? Makes me wonder about the membership.
maybe that's only in effect if there are others waiting to have a go. If there aren't any people waiting, though, I'm not sure what purpose the time limit would serve.

Just guessing on my part.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Very intelligent response. Reflects the source.
Thank you, good source, my thread and if you don't like it you can move on, do the same on my other thread while your at it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Now Now Boys ..."Can't we all just get along" .. If A guy or guys are playing Air hog Just get out an old beat upGlow plane and start flying all over the place ... Air clears up real fast. Works every time Especially with the IMAC and Pattern guys that think they run the place. Beat up $100 piece of junk has just as much right to fly as your a $5000 THING DOES.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by TheCalgarian
maybe that's only in effect if there are others waiting to have a go. If there aren't any people waiting, though, I'm not sure what purpose the time limit would serve.

Just guessing on my part.
Clubs are run by the members so a club can make up all kinds of rules if the members vote on them. I have flown IMAA events all over Calif. and the norm is 5 flight stations and when they are full the pilots that want to fly just form a line. I have never seen a time limit or heard any gripes. 10 to 15 minutes is the norm for a flight and 15 is a long one.
I have been up for over 45 minutes with gliders and small two channel electrics and never heard a gripe.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:13 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

One of the clubs I belong to in SE Wisconsin where we own our own land we elect a 10 member Board at the one club meeting we have yearly because we are Incorporated. The board elects the officers. The board makes all the rules and if members don't like it they can run for the board next year and run it the way they see fit.

At an Electric Festival that ended today here in AZ. the participants pay $40 for the 4 day event. Helicopters and Quads get 1/2 hour in the morning and another half hour in the after noon. This club is also run by a board and they make all the rules. For the Most Part. Only ounce in the 13 years I belonged to this club have I seen the Rank and file make such a fuss that they suspended the mandatory rule of you must have a spotter.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-25-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.