Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattnew
I keep reading this and saying "not really"... not trying to start a fight, and not trying to attack you, but I hear these statements often... and I just want to comment....
If someone DOESN'T want to build.. there are ARFs for that, and thats fine, my point is if people don't want to build they can just say that and don't need excuses. :-)

as for better and safer....
better: I have 4 ARFs in my stable that are current flyers. I am of the opinion, ( and a company is welcome to prove me wrong ) that in order to mass produce a ready to fly or ARF plane you have to make compromises in the assembly and design in order to make them quicker and cheaper. I think these compromises don't necessarily exist in scratch built or kit built planes as the cost of construction is passed on to the consumer... There are some good ARFs out there..I just feel that if you build it yourself and don't make the compromises that are inherent in an ARF ( hot glue anyone ? )you end up with a better plane in the end. I also think they fly better, but it could be my pride showing :-)

99% of safer is between the ears, not in the plane.

Originally Posted by MTK
Hear here!! Good point re: don't want to build. People who want to build find the time. Example, even with arthritis in my fingers, when my 10 year old grandson asks me to design and build an F18 look alike for rubber power, guess what....I drew it and it's on my building board.

In regard to ARFies, some have come a long way. I really like the stuff Extreme Flight puts out. The Extra I assembled from their components was quite strong, very light (several pounds lighter than other stuff of similar size) for its size and was straight. I know a couple of the people associated with that endeavor. A great deal of design work took place not just on the models but the fixtures used in the builds at the factory in China. Then there is the continuous training Chris Hinson and team do to the workers to make sure the products continue to meet EF standards and modeler standards. Can't vouch for anyone else's ARFs since I don't as a rule do ARF's, but EF products are a notch above. FWIW

Every one that knows anything that if U expect your ARF to last U have to go thru it and re epoxy the jouints that are hot glued to gether ... Most people again don't have the skill or even the knolage to build or do an ARF properly. That's not their fault it's yours .... That's where the old timers and U so called expert builders should have the ware with all to help not critize.
Had a world champion model builder in our club that, designed many planes, is/was in the AMA hall of fame, and scratched built every thing even made his own fuel. This gentleman was the most sarcastic look down his nose at anything not to his liking in public. U get him one on one and he would help U to no end and he made sure U understood what he was trying to teach show U.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Well it was good while it lasted.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:52 PM
DSDRC

Originally Posted by joebahl
I built with balsa all my life but 2 years ago started to learn how to build with cheap Dollar tree foam and Dow fanfold i get free off of construction jobs i run. So for as little as 4 bucks plus cheap motor,servos and reciever you can build a rc plane or trainer to fly. I built 3 of these for the grandkids to learn on and they fly slow and lots of fun for them . joe
My daughter loves it!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
DSDRC

Made a lil more progress today. Tail feathers not epoxied and wing not set just wanted to show my wife and kids how it was coming along.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	921.0 KB
ID:	2068419  
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM
oneblueyedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll either buy an ARF, or scratchbuild.

The only kit I really loved was a Yoshioka Flash .45.

I started to scratchbuild an Ugly Stick in May 2015 to fit in my small car at the time.

It is this Ugly Stick http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/uglystick60.htm. I took the plans, made changes in adobe illustrator for a wing tube system and reduced them to 85% of original size.

Then I built it using Depron core sides, laminate 1/32 balsa sheet capped with 3mm balsa edging (before the sheet laminate).

Wings were built in a great planes jig (rods). Created my own wing tube out of aluminum camp chair leg and socket via this tutorial http://www.ofremmi.info/HowTo/Wingtu...%20sockets.htm. Used polyester resin.

Made the horizontal and vertical stabilizers angular (not round) in form, the same way as the fuselage sides. Created a removal system for these using one 4-40 hex screw through the tailwheel mount (DuBro) Locks in alignment perfectly.

Covered the fuse ailerons and stabilizers in silkspan (hard to find now) and Polycryl. Covered the wings with silkspan on wood (1/32 balsa) sheeting for strength then ironed on Walmart dress liner polyester. Shrunk then sealed with polycryl.

Primed with autobody spray primer from Walmart. Sanded off most all of it. Wings Prime coated with white latex (too difficult to use and unforgiving for touch ups) for wings. Used Krylon for primer coat for fuselage and stabs. Then white basecoat (latex)

Trimmed with Rustoleum yellow. Kyrlon Fluorescent orange (flat), Krylon dark blue (flat).

Sealed with Minwax Oil based Polyurethane spray (satin, to make the air boundary layer stick ). 5 pounds dry. Fox .45 powered. Aluminum LG, 11.5 x 4 prop.

If I had to do it over, I would not use Polycryl on wing sheeting. It warped some panels and i had to use a lot of vinyl light spackle to true up the D tube. I think that oil based polyurethane as a sealer over the wood would have waterproofed the wing structure, then perimeter coat the edges of the wing framing with Polycryl to give the polyester something to iron to. It's strong stuff once finished.

As I said the latex paint method (Roy Vaillancourt) for this project was tedious for this. I had total success with it on a scratch built FW 190.

I'm flight trimming it now and it's pretty precise. Love the two piece wing.

As for ARFs, The precision of the offerings really can't be beat for the money and materials. I just don't like saggy covering and chasing it. They are so light though. One is in my future.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WacoNut
Well it was good while it lasted.
Takes all kinds, never fails.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Al Stein

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Hopefully, the way of the dinosaurs.
???????
Tryin' to understand the comment... Is that a joke or do you not know that even a plane you buy already built was built by somebody or ???? Sorry, I understand the individual words but I'm just not getting your message.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 PM
Johnny greeko

Wow Mike you actually scrounged $50.00 to get a PT 40 on your 40th bday, lol thought it was funny, im new in here but i just wanted to set some humour ...dont scold me
Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Greybeard, those are some pretty sharp planes that you have built there! Does the Prime Cut plane fly well? I like the cowl you have on it...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:35 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't gone anywhere. Still drawing my own plans and cutting my own kits and building them. Not an ARF in my hangar.
Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-28-2015, 05:36 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sierratango;11966961]Here is my two cents. There are way too many distractions in this complex world and these distractions compete with the amount of effort and time required to make these beautiful projects.

Let us also face the fact that builders are a special breed. The world is not filled with these types of people. I get depressed if I am not creating something. I want to creat unique creations, I don't want to be like all the rest. Many people strive to be accepted into the flock, I fly away from it.]

I could not possibly have said it any simpler or more to my exact point of view as I have made this near very statement myself for MANY of my later modeling years.

With the competing distractions referenced, it in fact dose take more time these days to do the same thing of years gone by. The desire is the same or even greater, but carving out time is not easy but we make it happen anyway as the rewards are just as great these days.

To all of my scale designer and builder friends, keep up what your doing as this hobby is a MUCH BETTER PLACE with all of you in it than not. I encourage every ARF modeler to build at least one kit for the experience. You may actually enjoy it as there will never be another one just like it !

Kerry S.

Last edited by Vampire; 01-28-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 AM
dhooker

I am still here, I don't build as much but am still building. I have moved to building e-flight type kits, either prop or ducted fan. My primary flyer is a Top Flight 2.1 Corsair. Building takes to much time and dedication, to keep people in the hobby ARF's allow for rc'ers to keep flying as we are all pressed for time. I fly less because of time not desire. I have even less time to build.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a mistake in post 221 ,it should have said i keep hearing that ARFS are cheaper that a scrtach built plane . Daaaa yep one of those moments.lmao joe
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a time and place for everything. ARF fits that bill perfectly.

Those who can do, those who can't, get an arf.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a clue. It was finished at the end of summer and I was having a lot of problems. My eye site was so bad I had double vision and started crashing planes so I put down my radio until I got the eye surgery. Then I had my back fixed well enough to be able to stand long enough to fly again. I'm repaired now but have only flown a few times. I have fired it up to get the engine tuned but want to do it once more before I take it out. This week I plan on taking the little Roar out for the maiden.
The thing about the Prime Cut wass how easy it is to build. Small parts count and nothing fancy, mater of fact it was boring to build. The plans are CAD drawn and everything fit for a change.Even the holes for the wing tube were dead on. The wing is almost a big Roar wing except it is symmetrical. Best plans I have ever gotten. I did have to widen my building board to make the wing though.
The Sukhoi plans are a nightmare and nothing fits correctly but when finished it is really a fantastic flying plane. One of the few I have ever built two of for myself. I did do a build thread on the Prime Cut and I may have done one for the Sukhoi? I usually try to post up at least part of a build here on RCU. The Sukhoi isn't a good one to do a thread on though, every part needs to be hand fit.
Originally Posted by VincentJ
Greybeard, those are some pretty sharp planes that you have built there! Does the Prime Cut plane fly well? I like the cowl you have on it...
Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM
sierratango

I am getting ready for something special, I have been thinking about it for weeks and I think about it when I wake up at 4am to go pee. I think about when I try to go to sleep.

I am about ready to build the mechanism which will tie the VS to the HS and also actuate the elevator on my T- tail with a sliding automatic hookup.

All carbon.

This is what I am talking about when I speak of unique. LOVE IT! It is the challenge of doing something unique the first time and then perfecting it.

The pictures show tooling dough inside the molds used to capture the correct space inside the mold after placing 30 mils of pipe tape which simulates the thickness of the carbon cloth laminations. There will be no Rohacell foam in those areas.

It will become more clear once I take some more photos once the process gets underway.

Views:	70
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	2068664   Click image for larger version

Views:	59
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2068665   Click image for larger version

Views:	47
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2068666  
Old 01-28-2015, 02:44 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Every one that knows anything that if U expect your ARF to last U have to go thru it and re epoxy the jouints that are hot glued to gether ... Most people again don't have the skill or even the knolage to build or do an ARF properly. That's not their fault it's yours .... That's where the old timers and U so called expert builders should have the ware with all to help not critize.
Interesting point. If you ever read any of the threads I started and sustained, they are all about educating others. One of my threads in fact became a sticky. When my club had a website, I was a regular contributor with a variety of stuff for builders. I tried to always be approachable allowing any question no matter how screwey.

But I admit I've gotten irritated when someone approached me and my latest design I hand crafted from scratch and asked me "Where did you get that ARF? ......."
Old 01-28-2015, 04:43 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

The fun never ends, I'm still here building. but i gotta say - building sources for supplies, are getting harder and harder, to find. John R.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:06 PM
DSDRC

[QUOTE=TheCalgarian;11970814]Looking great! Which kit is that? What power will it have? Good luck and keep up the good work.[/QUOTE

Thanks, Its a Great Planes Electricub, 58" WS, I plan on brushless, not sure what size yet? Any input would be appreciated. I made some more progress today but didn't get many pics, I mounted the wing and horiz stab, also got the cowl cut, I think I am learning to hold my breath on some of these things and hope it all comes out right LOL.

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2068771  
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 PM
DSDRC

The best thing for me is watching my kids get enthusiastic about building things, my 16 yo son is starting a 1/2a house of balsa P-51 ( don't worry we have trainers) and my 6 yo daughter wants to build a trainer, she only gets titebond lol
Old 01-29-2015, 04:24 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Interesting point. If you ever read any of the threads I started and sustained, they are all about educating others. One of my threads in fact became a sticky. When my club had a website, I was a regular contributor with a variety of stuff for builders. I tried to always be approachable allowing any question no matter how screwey.

But I admit I've gotten irritated when someone approached me and my latest design I hand crafted from scratch and asked me "Where did you get that ARF? ......."
I have to laugh because some years back when Aeroworks still produced builder kits I built one of their 40% Edge 540s, mine pictured below, anyway I was attending an event at the Randolf AFB auxiliary field in Seguin, TX. As I stood beside my airplane two fellows walked up, one stated to the other there is one of those "perfectly extruded plastic ARF airplanes". The other stated what has this hobby come too, both shook their heads and walked away. For a moment I became a little angered but then realized that through their ignorance they believed that my airplane was perfectly extruded and could not be possibly hand built, covered, and painted to look like that so I took that as a compliment, said nothing and thought to myself, well there you go.

Bob

Name:	055.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2068774  
Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Great story Bob!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hahaha

When I first moved here and join my club, the same think happened when I brought my Midwest Extra out,, guys asking "who makes that ARF" ,, I said "Me, it's was a kit" "REALLY???" they say, like they found a long lost dodo bird,, I think they'd only seen pictures of kit built planes, never actually touched one. I still don't think they believe I scratch built my Kingfisher
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Are there any ARF that are cloth covered and doped?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If there is I have never seen one.

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.