Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
Picked up a DLE 20R and sig four star 60 . For my first gasoline engine project. Do a little kit bashing on this one
I did a lot of kit bashing on this Tiger 60, it has a DLE 20 in it , plug in wings, tail dragging gear and a mean tiger pilot, it will hover. Thought you might like it.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000946.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2072909  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Redtail_Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice love the colors
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BazH
I've just finished a scratch built 1/7th scale Spitfire Mk IX, mainly to try and learn building, fiber glassing and painting skills. It was a lot of effort and I know I could have bought an ARF and get flying sooner. I just wanted to learn! I agree with the comment about not seeing very many kits.
Let's have a look at the model Baz, and grand job on the Tiger Leroy, wish the kit was available in the UK.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:07 AM
smkrcflyer

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
I did a lot of kit bashing on this Tiger 60, it has a DLE 20 in it , plug in wings, tail dragging gear and a mean tiger pilot, it will hover. Thought you might like it.

Leroy
Nice Tiger 60, Leroy. Did you buy the cowl or make it?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

to hell in a hand basket.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nicely finished Leroy... if that color scheme is done with iron-on film covering, hats off to you !... great looking scheme.

John M,
Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Joey B
My Feedback: (4)

does any one know if topflite still makes lustercoat paint i just left hobby shop in myrtle beach sc and the owner said they do not make it any more so i bought all the cub yellow he had and by the way i am a builder have been for about 30 years
Old 02-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Redtail_Customs

This was the original 300 S from midwest. With the flat tail . You can see the tail is air foiled I cut the cores with a homemade foam cutter that I still use . The plane is about 12 3/4 pounds with. Moki 1.8 . Ultracoat covering . The kit was modified to lightin it
JIM

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2073147  
Old 02-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Redtail_Customs

Joey any auto paint store should be able to match the color and put it Ina aerosol can for you

JIM
Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love.

Last edited by phatbob02; 02-14-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joey, LK paint is still advertised by Tower and all the LHS stock it still so ?? Last batch of cub yellow we tried to use was orange and not yellow. We tried three different batch numbers and it was all just different shades of orange. There QC has really been lacking.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by John_M_
Nicely finished Leroy... if that color scheme is done with iron-on film covering, hats off to you !... great looking scheme.

John M,
Thanks John M, it is Ultra-Cote, iron on most of the fuselage and all heat gun on the wings. It gets some attention at the field and is a lot of fun to fly.

Leroy
Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Nice Tiger 60, Leroy. Did you buy the cowl or make it?
You will half to make it, blue foam one off plug sealed with epoxy, waxed and then two layers of 2 oz. glass and regular glass resin, some sanding and Bondo will make a nice cowling for any plane.

Leroy

Name:	IM000827.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	2073219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000834.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2073220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000837.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	598.8 KB
ID:	2073222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000838.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2073224  
Old 02-14-2015, 08:34 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Redtail_Customs
This was the original 300 S from midwest. With the flat tail . You can see the tail is air foiled I cut the cores with a homemade foam cutter that I still use . The plane is about 12 3/4 pounds with. Moki 1.8 . Ultracoat covering . The kit was modified to lightin it
JIM
Nice plane Jim, always wanted to get involved with foam, just couldn't find the time to give it a go and at my age I likely never will.

Leroy
Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 AM
smkrcflyer

Originally Posted by Joey B
does any one know if topflite still makes lustercoat paint i just left hobby shop in myrtle beach sc and the owner said they do not make it any more so i bought all the cub yellow he had and by the way i am a builder have been for about 30 years
I also had a bad experience with lustercote last week. It was cub yellow and it was no ware near the right color and the spray pattern and coverage was bad. I'm sanding it off and going a different direction.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM
tuchadwick59
My Feedback: (31)

I am so glad someone put this thread up. I am not a builder and I have been looking for a good one for a few years. I finally came across a credible one in David Gates. However Gates was to far out in his work and referred me to David Collins from Mayo, FL

Well let me just tell you that I was completely taken for. I sent the Yellow P-38 kit with all the trimmings to David, everything he needed, and it took him a year to apply covering to the plane and that's it. After numerous monthly updates that were all bogus, I had to threaten him with the authorities to get the plane back. Sent a friend all the way from Tulsa and now I know why it was so hard. Because NOTHING WAS DONE TO IT. I got the plane back with the covering and that was it. No servos installed, no gear, plumbing, no motors, nothing..... This after I paid him $1800 to build it. Now I am in a legal suit with him because he refused to return calls or even explain what happened. It has been a nightmare.

I have posted about it before, but the reason I wanted to post it now, is because I have finally found a viable option for building. Somehow I stumbled on a guy here in Tulsa, OK that builds for clients nationwide. His name is Jordan Morse and he has a website: http://www.morseaircraftdevelopment.com

This dude is unreal. Extremely detailed and he is unbelievable with the up-to-date electronics for RC avionics. Bill Cunningham is a national figure as a pilot and builder (Top Gun, Joe Nall, you name it) and Bill explained that Jordan is "The only guy I would let build one of my planes."

Well Bill was right, Jordan is phenomenal and he is right in my backyard. He does turbines and large scale stuff and I can go on and on about the professionalism and first class wiring and building. And the BEST part, he is uber fast. A true professional. If anyone knows anything about hiring a builder, you know that it always takes twice as long as they quote.

Here is an awesome, thorough review he did for PilotRC's Dolphin Turbine. This has been labeled one of the best reviews anyone has ever done.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11611583-pilot-dolphin-review-build.html

Anyways, I was so excited to share his work with others who don't have the time to build and want superb quality. However, you might need to wait till after he is done with two projects for me. But the best part about what this guy does is that he is the fastest builder I have ever seen. It's unreal. He is doing a Legend Models 83" P-38 for me and he is done in four days. And with the best electronics set up I have ever seen. Gyro, Power box, wiring, etc. It's amazing. Check this dude out. Whether you want Turbine, Large scale gassers, warbirds, he will get it done exactly how you want, he will make great suggestions on stuff you may not even know, and he will go through your plane with you and give a massive review and training for you before you fly.

Last edited by tuchadwick59; 02-15-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:23 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tuchadwick59
I am so glad someone put this thread up. I am not a builder and I have been looking for a good one for a few years. I finally came across a credible one in David Gates. However Gates was to far out in his work and referred me to David Collins from Mayo, FL

Well let me just tell you that I was completely taken for. I sent the Yellow P-38 kit with all the trimmings to David, everything he needed, and it took him a year to apply covering to the plane and that's it. After numerous monthly updates that were all bogus, I had to threaten him with the authorities to get the plane back. Sent a Freud all the way from Tulsa and now I know why it was so hard. Because NOTHING WAS DONE TO IT. I got the plane back with the covering and that was it. No servos installed, no gear, plumbing, no motors, nothing..... This after I paid him $1800 to build it. Now I am in a legal suit with him because he refused to return calls or even explain what happened. It has been a nightmare.

I have posted about it before, but the reason I wanted to post it now, is because I have finally found a viable option for building. Somehow I stumbled on a guy here in Tulsa, OK that builds for clients nationwide. His name is Jordan Morse and he has a website: http://www.morseaircraftdevelopment.com

This dude is unreal. Extremely detailed and he is unbelievable with the up-to-date electronics for RC avionics. Bill Cunningham is a national figure as a pilot and builder (Top Gun, Joe Nall, you name it) and Bill explained that Jordan is "The only guy I would let build one of my planes."

Well Bill was right, Jordan is phenomenal and he is right in my backyard. He does turbines and large scale stuff and I can go on and on about the professionalism and first class wiring and building. And the BEST part, he is uber fast. A true professional. If anyone knows anything about hiring a builder, you know that it always takes twice as long as they quote.

Here is an awesome, thorough review he did for PilotRC's Dolphin Turbine. This has been labeled one of the best reviews anyone has ever done.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11611583-pilot-dolphin-review-build.html

Anyways, I was so excited to share his work with others who don't have the time to build and want superb quality. However, you might need to wait till after he is done with two projects for me. But the best part about what this guy does is that he is the fastest builder I have ever seen. It's unreal. He is doing a Legend Models 83" P-38 for me and he is done in four days. And with the best electronics set up I have ever seen. Gyro, Power box, wiring, etc. It's amazing. Check this dude out. Whether you want Turbine, Large scale gassers, warbirds, he will get it done exactly how you want, he will make great suggestions on stuff you may not even know, and he will go through your plane with you and give a massive review and training for you before you fly.
Should have posted this in the ARF section tho ! !lmao joe
Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
tuchadwick59

I apologize Joe. I didn't know this was exclusive to scratch built inquiries.

Last edited by tuchadwick59; 02-15-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:30 PM
joebahl

I apologize Joe. I didn't know this was exclusive to scratch built inquiries.
Just teasing you a bit , but it did sound like a builder put you through some rough times. I have thought about building for othes but it would take up to much of my time to build my own. joe
Old 02-15-2015, 02:43 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thread still going,
Stopped in to catch up, been busy building.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:45 PM
tuchadwick59

No worries Joe. It was a bad deal. Also talked with Jordan today and misspoke. He does quite a few scratch builds as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2¢ worth. I like to build but finances have kept me from really getting into it. I have been kit bashing a 1:7 scale Great Planes P-51 for several years now, working on it off and on. Started back on it recently and trying to finish it up this year. I have not even flown for several years and it will cost me a few hundred $$ to get back into the hobby. I kept my flyable planes stored neatly away, and with fresh batteries and fuel, they will fly again.

Follow the build if you will at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...kit-build.html
Old 02-15-2015, 02:58 PM
joebahl

No worries Joe. It was a bad deal. Also talked with Jordan today and misspoke. He does quite a few scratch builds as well.
No iam sorry ,that was alot of cash and time for you to loose / joe
Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
What do you clean the glue off with? I used spray adhesive to bond two pieces of plywood together to cut my wing center parts, and now have sticky wood.
I use Cellophane mangers tape (two faced) then peal it off afterword's. I'm sure if I left it on it would do the same. most craft stores carry it.

Joe
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM
joebahl

I use prepsall to get glue off but i paint my own mororcycles and have the stuff around . joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.