Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBailey711
Don't let anything stop you ... GO FLYING! I have 2 ARFs in my crowd of aeroplanes, one 15 yrs old and has never been flown ... BUT ... they are there if I have other problems like Radio, Engine, or if I ReKit some of my flyers. Even though my love is Scratch Built Scale, I'll fly and ARF before I sit inside. Nothing wrong with them, just a factory built them. And I find myself with a new love, "Parkflyers" or Foam Planes. What a concept! I have to learn all the jargon and how to do it first.

BBailey
They always were "toy" airplanes... In the hobby since my early 20's (64 now....) If it flies, I like it. But now I only get or build big electrics (1.6) or gas. My favorite maker is Balsa USA. I am sure they will survive me, so I am cool...

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 08-03-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cublover
looks like tons of us are still around...lol
Very nice...
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyboyDIwbl
Just finished a good old Hog Bipe kit Saturday. 106.75 hours total. Lots of fun to build but even more fun to fly!
Did you use the checkerboard covering or the old fashion hard way? Good looking plane.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! It's Ultracote checker, I'm too lazy to cute out all those squares :-)
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

why worry where all the builders went you cant tell the new flyers anything they know it all ive been flying since 1940
Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
why worry where all the builders went you cant tell the new flyers anything they know it all ive been flying since 1940
It's the same thing in the boating and car/buggy crowd too. I see people buying the RTF boats and RTR cars and think they now have a license to do what they want. It's kind of sad that these are the people that will be putting their purchase up on Ebay in a month or two because they never learn anything other than how to hook up batteries and squeeze the trigger
Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Why do you fell the need to tell a guy anything? I've been flying since 1975,, so what?? I know plenty of guys older than me that hand out bonehead advise. I don't go around the field telling guys anything,, if they come to me and ask for help, I'm more than willing to. If they want to learn the hard way $$,, they can do that too

I agree that there are still plenty of guys "building",, but even more guys BSing on the interweb, Call em what you want, builders, arf assemblers, who cares,,, but first ask yourselves,,, why am I being condescending to my fellow hobbyist because they don't do exactly what I like to do?.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I know plenty of guys older than me that hand out bonehead advise. I agree that there are still plenty of guys "building",, but even more guys BSing on the interweb, Call em what you want, builders, arf assemblers, who cares,,, but first ask yourselves,,, why am I being condescending to my fellow hobbyist because they don't do exactly what I like to do?.
I don't think "being condescending" is a good way to put it. Granted, it may apply in some cases but, for the most part, most veteran flyers and builders try to be helpful. I've seen plenty of people in the boating forums that give "bonehead advice" just to make themselves look more in the know that they really are. I won't go into any details but some actually have told experienced racers they don't know what they are talking about just to make themselves look good
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was toldon the FMS fw190 forum that they don't have as much time as i, so they flyfoamies. I did not bother with going into the maintenance required usuallyexceeds the build time I’ve taught a lot of people how to fly WWII fighters butvery few make it all the way through in one sitting (if you will). They usuallyfind a nitch that works for them and stay there untill they realize there isstill a better way.

The bestway to describe it is my son learned to fly 15 years ago. All the fliers were Ifly were my age and older so he found a group his age that flew and palledaround with them for ten+ years. And I was a fossil that built planes. Then 5 yearsago I was sick and needed to be driven to the field for a period of time. One ofthose times I got him to try my focke wulf tank 152h1. He was amazed how grovyit was, how predictable it was, and how little movement it took to make minorcorrections. There were a ton of questions, he was at a point skill wise tofeel the difference. He started building wood arf’s and quickly noticed thedifference between $7 and $50 servos. Then the trade off’s in different ways ofmounting pushrods. And on and on.

I had toldhim all this stuff before but he was not at a skill level to actually feel orunderstand the difference. Now he hasglommed onto my Platt focke Wulf 190 D-9 that’s older than he. Because it’s “THEBEST FLYING PLANE HE’s EVER FLOWN” his words. It is a sweet plane, but he hadto have skill enough to notice the nuances that set it apart.

My pointbeing if I offer a solution to someone that is beyond their experience level,they just wount see it. So I look for the deer in the headlights look and backoff if I see it.or in younger modelers “verbal Ques” haha.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I don't think "being condescending" is a good way to put it. Granted, it may apply in some cases but, for the most part, most veteran flyers and builders try to be helpful. I've seen plenty of people in the boating forums that give "bonehead advice" just to make themselves look more in the know that they really are. I won't go into any details but some actually have told experienced racers they don't know what they are talking about just to make themselves look good
That goes on everywhere, every hobby, Worse now with people becoming experts via google vs.actual hands on life experience, but I'm more talking about guys putting down other guys because they don't build, or don't build the right type of model, or whatever. When people put others down over minor nonsense, It typically means they have self esteem issues.

Typical example, you see all the time, Heli and Quad guys calling airplanes "planks" and EP guys calling glow planes "slimmers" and the 3D guys calling scale plane guys "Circle flyers", if those terms are not meant to be condescending, I don't know what is.

It'd be pretty boring if we all had the same exact toys

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 08-05-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paladin
I had toldhim all this stuff before but he was not at a skill level to actually feel orunderstand the difference. Now he hasglommed onto my Platt focke Wulf 190 D-9 that’s older than he. Because it’s “THEBEST FLYING PLANE HE’s EVER FLOWN” his words. It is a sweet plane, but he hadto have skill enough to notice the nuances that set it apart.

My pointbeing if I offer a solution to someone that is beyond their experience level,they just wount see it. So I look for the deer in the headlights look and backoff if I see it.or in younger modelers “verbal Ques” haha.
On the "other forum" a guy was asking newbie questions about building a certain model. Some of the "help" offered was to modify "this" and to change "that." When I suggested that maybe the newbie should build the well tested design, as it was designed, I was accused of hindering his progress.

Like you, I don't see how advanced advice can help a modeler without enough experience to comprehend it. I feel that building a few kits, as designed, helps a flegeling builder gain experience and some knowledge to make safe and productive changes to an airframe.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM
BBailey711

You're Tiger 60 is Beautiful....
Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM
BBailey711

I've been building and ReKitting since 1965 off and on, depends on wife, but I only built a couple kits before I started Scratch Building. Aircraft of all sizes are my passion (a trip back to Wright Patterson AFB is in my future). I still have about 10 Kits, 3 ReKits, and 7 aircraft. I enjoy making the tooling to build the parts needed. I say My head is in the Plans and my hands are in the Balsa. I am 61, started going out with friends that used Escapments which I could not afford. Then in 1965 I bought my very first plane with paper route money, a CL, long before RC. It was a full Fuse, 34in, Biplane, The Flying Fool. I have now purchased a complete set of the original plans.

GUESS WHAT ... I STILL don't know much. The Hobby moves too fast, Adhesives, Coverings, Foamies, Electric Motors, and on and on. I just stick what I know and ask you guys if -"WHEN"- I need help. I do work with Newbies, but ONLY if they want to listen and learn. First time they know more then I do, they are on their own. But many do need help. I am mostly talking about Scratch Builder's now. It is not the same world as Kits or ARF's. If they all the sudden know more then me ... the door they came in also goes out. No sense in wasting my working time.

BBailey
Old 08-04-2015, 01:51 PM
BBailey711

I fully agree with you both ...

I had a friend, a GOOD RC Flyer, but he moved up in his learning too fast. He bought a Top Flight Mustang that has some Dihedral, 0 Incidence, and full Laminar flow ribs. The Fuselage was Designed to short coupled to the empennage also. He could fly this but he had more than he was ready for. He literally had to fly it into touchdown for landings. He sold me the plane. I am going to rebuild the wing. I am going to reduce the width of the lower part of the Ribs and put 2 Degrees of Incidence twist on each wing tip so it will still fly decent but when you flatten out to land you won't have to fly it into the ground. TRY explaining that to a NEWBIE. Besides I have to build it and try it first, but I have done that before on a hot pony and it worked. If I Scratch Build this plane from the plans again I will put 2 degrees Incidence in the Wing, Modify the Ribs, and Lengthen the Fuselage for a longer moment. Then she should fly a lot better. I'm not into Pattern Flying, I just like to FLY!!

BBailey

Last edited by BBailey711; 08-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its funny to watch my son go through the learning curve on building now. he used to bring home stay's (my term for ARF's someone else crashed and he said dad can fix it) now he has started a Horton 213 (I think), looks just like our modern jets (hmmmm). I told him to put all the sheeting together on the bench sand it flat then put it on the wing. well he did the first one him self and laid the sheeting down one plank at a time. he was very proud of it! so I took him down and showed what I ment doing the bottom side of the next wing, with him pointing out how much time, and balsa I was wasting, how the CA would not be usable on top side sheeting, etc.. so I put it on with alphatic resin and bags of shot to hold it down. he had to wait till the next day and it killed him!!!!!!!! then he got to compare the final product with what he had done, without me around. next time I saw it (the next day after we both returned from work) the top sheeting was done and it looked pretty good.

Joe
Old 08-05-2015, 09:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The Apprentice has brought more people into this hobby than any other plane in recent years.
Example our club has about 6 or 7 new members this year. One young lady (young because she is 20 years my junior and I'm 72)
She refuses to TO in anything but Beginner mode and won't fly with out it in Intermediate mode. But U know what She's having fun. That's what's it's all about. ( her previous hobby was racing full scale Hydro Plane boats).A Couple others are old geezers (cause they are older than me. They will never break the proverbial Cord, but who cares they will never build a plane but they are having fun (I think). Then there the 3 young men that in a matter of a couple of week ends have outgrown the Apprentice at least for it's Stabilization. They were flying them in 12 to 18 MPH cross winds that ground most of us. Why because they didn't know they couldn't.
Again it about having fun and if building is your fun so be it. Please don't look down from your high and mighty because some one can't/doesn't build what they fly. Over the years the lack of pre-built models has discouraged more people from continuing in this hobby. They spent hundreds of hours building their first ever master piece and they come out and are told first they can't fly it here because they don't belong to the AMA or the club. Then some old Geezer (Builder)comes over and proceeds to rip on these people about how they have built a peice of crap.
I didn't mean to get on my soap box, But the hobby has many different facets and building is just one of them. Personally I hate building, Mainly because I'm not very good at it. If I could put it on a BridgePort and mill it and screw and dowel it well then maybe. I purchased USED. 2 Reasons It's less expensive by half, and I'm not as attached to them when the crash. So sorry if I stepped on any toes. Just realize there so many facits to this hobby and not every one cares for them all. It's all about what spins your won wheels.
Now I'm going out to the field and have fun flying. I Hope. Happy Landings to ya.
+100....to each their own, as long as they are having fun. Be it a store bought RTF or a 100 plus hour scratch built, as long as they enjoy what they are doing, that's all that counts.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by cublover
looks like tons of us are still around...lol
That is absolutely amazing...stunning work there. Got a pic of it all ready to fly?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

???
Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

That goes on everywhere, every hobby, Worse now with people becoming experts via google vs.actual hands on life experience, but I'm more talking about guys putting down other guys because they don't build, or don't build the right type of model, or whatever. When people put others down over minor nonsense, It typically means they have self esteem issues.

Typical example, you see all the time, Heli and Quad guys calling airplanes "planks" and EP guys calling glow planes "slimmers" and the 3D guys calling scale plane guys "Circle flyers", if those terms are not meant to be condescending, I don't know what is.

and pretty boring if everyone acted the way you wanted them too!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:59 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
???
Referred to CUBLOVER's Spacewalker Post #898
Old 08-05-2015, 06:53 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The difference between a builder and assembler is when the plane gets cracked up, and it WILL get cracked up, the builder knows how to repair it, while the assembler just tosses it in the trash and gets another one. I have seen plenty of planes in the can that could be rebuilt.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by acdii
The difference between a builder and assembler is when the plane gets cracked up, and it WILL get cracked up, the builder knows how to repair it, while the assembler just tosses it in the trash and gets another one. I have seen plenty of planes in the can that could be rebuilt.
And I have seen a few planes that should be in the trash can out there feebly flying along overweight from too much glue and/or underpowered due to a damaged engine/motor. But, like you, seen a lot in the can that still had life left.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 AM
MTK

Hey, you forgot "WOOD ROACHES"....LOL!

Sooo, what you are saying is that this whole thread is nonsense?? It seems the whole thread is about "BUILDERS" putting down "ARFERS".... In the unforgettable words of Eddie Murphy ".....Bark like a dawg...."
Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't agree with that. I'm a builder, but I also like ARF's even a RTF sometimes can be fun. I like it all.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I wouldn't agree with that. I'm a builder, but I also like ARF's even a RTF sometimes can be fun. I like it all.
Same here. Sometimes you just cant get a kit for a plane you like, and unless you can find or make plans, the ARF is the only choice, like the SIG T-Clips. Love that plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.