Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:42 PM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm here, too. About half through building a Curtiss F11-C2 from WE Tech plans and a Limey Bob short kit. It is a blast.
JimBrock .. Houston
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here to stay!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Greg Briley

here is my opinion. we don't have builders because these companies that sell airplanes , sell the ones already built. no one wants too or needs to build because it is less time and cheaper. You cant expect a banker to know how to build airplanes, boats ,cars etc. verses a home builder or carpenter that works with wood everyday. If we didn't have someone to build for us, we would try to learn ourselves. There are lots of guys that build models, if there wasn't then sales would be down so far that you couldn't even find plans, balsa wood, and small hardware to build models. I myself had to learn how to build when I was nine years old. Now build every model I fly. Greg Briley Marion,Ohio
Old 09-23-2015, 03:35 AM
TOPGUN WINNER
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been a builder since 1941, getting a little tired, but still designing and still flying. Do I have ARF's..Of course...Are they the same as when I purchased them? Of course not. All of them have been modified. A builder can't have something that looks like everyone else. LOL

God, I love this hobby. I still teach over a dozen people to fly each year, but more important, I teach them how to repair and how to build. Anyone can teach someone to fly but not everyone can teach them to build. I made my living by following my dream. Built wind tunnel models for Aircraft and Helicopters, Built scale models of new designs and experimental. Built full size models of the stuff you build models of. Computers are taking over and old builders like me aren't needed anymore. I still build for my friends and myself.

We are all Pilots and part of a Brotherhood. It really hurts to see people slamming other Pilots...It just hurts our hobby...Remember people, it really is just a hobby. It is not your life or who you are. So play nice. i will attach my rc stuff if anyone is interested...I worked on over 150 aircraft in my 75 years as a builder....Flew my own designs in the AMA Nationals a long, long time ago.have over 10,000 photos. I will tell you this, I owed my own company that I started with one person...me !!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 STARSHIP 928.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2121898   Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 SEPT GENE'S VEE-JET GROUP (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2121899   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974-03 S-76 (1).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	2121900   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974-03 S-76.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	2121901   Click image for larger version

Name:	S-76  Fuselage Tools (2).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2121902  
Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Well I just got word the instrument panels I custom ordered are close to shipping. You don't get this level of detail on ARFs and RTF. Here are the photos I received today. I am very pleased with the level of detail and the quality of the work. I got what i paid for and more!

Name:	DSCN6962.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2121938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6960.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2121939   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6959.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2121940   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6958.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2121941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6957.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2121942  
Old 09-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well I just got word the instrument panels I custom ordered are close to shipping. You don't get this level of detail on ARFs and RTF. Here are the photos I received today. I am very pleased with the level of detail and the quality of the work. I got what i paid for and more!
Wow, that is a gorgeous IP, so are you going to keep the source to yourself? Please share with the rest of us.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Duncman
Wow, that is a gorgeous IP, so are you going to keep the source to yourself? Please share with the rest of us.
Well since you asked its Chad Veich's work over at www.cwvmodels.com . Now I will warn you he is in catch up mode and does have some health issues so I don't know if he is taking new orders. I can tell you his work is worth the wait and his pricing is very reasonable. I already have a panel for an additional project in his queue.

Notice the "screws" holding the instruments are not all aligned like in real life. He does a lot of thinking ahead on his details.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-23-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought two FMS planes in 2012 because the price was just so good? my son and I planned to dog fight them. not enough power for that! and the maintenance is constant!!! my FMS 190 has been down all summer cause just don't want to waist summer on a POS, well I finally got it going again. cause its great for winter once I retrim for CTE

next is to finish reinforcing the LG mounts in my black horse Macchi 200 and get that test flown (one of those planes that I would have never built but when an ARF cam available I had to pull the trigger.

then I have a Dynaflite PT-19 and the Macchi's brother a IMP Macchi 202 to convert to electric

my son has discovered how nice the Platt Focke Wulfs fly so I have been pulling together all the parts for the last 18 months and we will probably start the build this winter. I have to first make plans to replace the slab stabs.

definition of a helicopter - a collection of parts all vibrating at different frequencies so as to give the illusion of flight.

Joe
Old 09-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Duncman

Well since you asked its Chad Veich's work over at www.cwvmodels.com . Now I will warn you he is in catch up mode and does have some health issues so I don't know if he is taking new orders. I can tell you his work is worth the wait and his pricing is very reasonable. I already have a panel for an additional project in his queue.

Notice the "screws" holding the instruments are not all aligned like in real life. He does a lot of thinking ahead on his details.
Thank you, that is perfect for me, have several way down the road type of projects, so it might work for both of us. That work is beautiful.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Duncman
Thank you, that is perfect for me, have several way down the road type of projects, so it might work for both of us. That work is beautiful.
I'm very pleased, you can contact him thru his website.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM
fivezees
My Feedback: (4)

I just realized that I never posted photos of the finished project. It flies beautifully !!! I have about 6 flights on it so far and I am still getting comfortable with it.

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2121979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2121980  
Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

.x

Last edited by HoundDog; 09-23-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:43 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would some one come on a thread about builders and complain about them ? I would think that they had better things to do with their time.

Builders are an ambitious group, willing to work for what they have. They are creative and talented. They are individualists, who don't want their model to look exactly the same as five others at the field.

Bragging about being reluctant to assemble an ARF falls on deaf ears to a group dedicated to creating their own flying machines.

Being content to let others do the work, and then reaping the benefits of others' work, at a discounted price, is not in the makeup of most builders.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:04 PM
wingstrut

DITTO, Tom C....................................Ron

Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I like ARF's, but I like building too. What kind of "smo" does that make me?
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Duncman

I prefer building either kit or scratch built but am also guilty of an ARF now and then, god forbid, even a foamie or two, what kind of a smo does that make me?

I also use a strike indicator on occasion rather than fishing a dry fly upstream. Another smo question????
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building planes from sticks is different today than in the past. No one cares now if a guy shows up with a plane he built, there is no one to talk about building with because no one wants to build. I do it now for my own satisfaction but I supplement by hangar with ARF's also. I remember the days when you used to be the man, showing up with something other than a Top Flite Contender or a stick of some sort. Now it's all about who can spend the most on the biggest ARF that Chinese slave labor constructed. Things change, so I'm content with that, I'm having fun my way, the only way!

Luke

In the middle of painting my latest build, a Ziroli Panther with a Kingtech K-80 for power!

Name:	Ziroli Panther.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	2122035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziroli Panther 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	2122036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziroli Panther 3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	2122037  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM
BBailey711

That is a nice job. Good luck on the trim. I'll be here to see it finished.
The following users liked this post:
dionysusbacchus (05-05-2020)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:53 PM
BBailey711

I found a website that jut deals with Cockpits and Panels of full sized aircraft. This is a Great site to get detail from for yourself. I happened on to it because I am in several sites, both RC and Full Sized Aircraft.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I like building, I'm just completing a Tower Uproar. But I like ARF's too. I don't look at others and say or think, "you didn't build that". Who cares. I learned halfway through my modeling career, that it's best to be open about everything that is available to modelers. I remember when CA was first introduced. I was skeptical at first. Now I wouldn't be without some on hand. Take Quadcopters for example. I didn't really need one, but I bought one to learn about them. I'm having a lot of fun with me Ares Ethos HD. So I think that there are some of us that like both building and ARF's/RTF's. Had a blast just yesterday with my Parkzone S.E.5 A. In my opinion, nothing wrong building or just assembling.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 PM
BBailey711

A FLYING "smo" ... as long as your building and flying, THAT's all that matters. I've been building and flying since before Hobby Stores, 50 years ago this year. We made Everything, control horns, hinges, servo trays, well later I made servo trays. I started flying when I went out with friends to see their Fathers fly these Mammoth Powered Gliders, controlled by radio escarpments! Not being able to afford that, at 11 (1965) I bought, from my paper route money, a Flying Fool, Full Fuselage, Biplane of 34in. And I started on Control Line. But I Built, Painted and Flew CL until the AM Transistorized stuff started coming out! Guess that makes me a "Fossil Smo"!

The REALITY is that just look at how many Hobby Stores, Plane Designers, and Magazines are out of business now. If we DON'T keep seeing NEW FRESH FACES at the flying fields this hobby will die to a death that looks like reverting back to the old days for the hard liners, and no new people will be attracted to join in. What Ever brings them in keeps this hobby and all the supporting manufacturing together to keep going. If it's ARF's or RTF's ... so be it. I know where to find free Plan sets and can still build from there, or design my own, as whatever I prefer.

Last edited by BBailey711; 09-24-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by BBailey711
A FLYING "smo" ... as long as your building and flying, THAT's all that matters. I've been building and flying since before Hobby Stores, 50 years ago this year. We made Everything, control horns, hinges, servo trays, well later I made servo trays. I started flying when I went out with friends to see their Fathers fly these Mammoth Powered Gliders, controlled by radio escarpments! Not being able to afford that, at 11 (1965) I bought, from my paper route money, a Flying Fool, Full Fuselage, Biplane of 34in. And I started on Control Line. But I Built, Painted and Flew CL until the AM Transistorized stuff started coming out! Guess that makes me a "Fossil Smo"!

The REALITY is that just look at how many Hobby Stores, Plane Designers, and Magazines are out of business now. If we DON'T keep seeing NEW FRESH FACES at the flying fields this hobby will die to a death that looks like reverting back to the old days for the hard liners, and no new people will be attracted to join in. What Ever brings them in keeps this hobby and all the supporting manufacturing together to keep going. If it's ARF's or RTF's ... so be it. I know where to find free Plan sets and can still build from there, or design my own, as whatever I prefer.
That is what it is all about.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:22 AM
GerKonig

So, you use ARF panels? My word!

Just kidding!

Here is another good source for scale panels and other items that can really dress up a model: http://www.iflytailies.com/

Gerry
Old 09-25-2015, 03:36 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBailey711
I found a website that jut deals with Cockpits and Panels of full sized aircraft. This is a Great site to get detail from for yourself. I happened on to it because I am in several sites, both RC and Full Sized Aircraft.
Please, would you share the link to that site with us? Thanks.

BTW, I have been building and flying since 1953, and we did have hobby stores. Frank's hobby shop in Wichita, Kansas
had engines, props, kits, fuel, and expert advice on building and flying. He also drove a way cool Woodie and took us to flying fields and events. Let us fly his planes and supplied props and fuel. That is what got me started; CL and single channel RC. Kenhi, Berkley, Sterling Kits. K&B, Fox, Cox, Cameron, Jetex engines. . Silkspan and dope, Duco. Good old days, but relatively expensive for a kid.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 09-25-2015, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GerKonig
So, you use ARF panels? My word!

Just kidding! Gerry
Yes I am! I wish I could create that kind of precise details, they more than meet my expectations! For the record the panels were made Chad Veich of www.cwvmodels.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.