Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Volcanxxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get so much more satisfaction from building and flying then just to purchase an ARF, I don't get all these people buying these electric foamy toys I wouldn't even waste my time it's a joke don't get me started on electric crap they shouldn't even be allowed in rc clubs
Old 09-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

What's wrong with Electric. Especially in Clubs. It's cheaper, quieter, cleaner and don't smell of fuel. And it is easier for handicap or disable people to deal with. I fly Electric sailplanes. And I am one of those disabled to use it.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You see a mixed bag of electric and gas at the National and World Pattern competitions so don't sell electric short.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:15 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volcanxxx
I get so much more satisfaction from building and flying then just to purchase an ARF, I don't get all these people buying these electric foamy toys I wouldn't even waste my time it's a joke don't get me started on electric crap they shouldn't even be allowed in rc clubs
Nonsense, my next 1/4 scale Balsa USA DVIII will be electric. "Minds are like parachutes, they only work when open", you are free-falling...

Gerry
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Aquila1954
What's wrong with Electric. Especially in Clubs. It's cheaper, quieter, cleaner and don't smell of fuel. And it is easier for handicap or disable people to deal with. I fly Electric sailplanes. And I am one of those disabled to use it.
Exactly. Besides my giant stick with a 4 HP electric motor is much more fun than it was with a G26. We have older members go electric because it was more difficult to move the giant scale gas powered models around.

That is the nice thing about our hobby, there is something for everybody. From super-complex turbine jets to free flight... and everything in between...

The main thing to remember is that if you are not having fun, this is not the hobby for you, or you are doing it all wrong:-)

Gerry
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 AM
BBailey711

Yes ... Here is the Link: http://www.highgallery.com/World_War_II/Cockpits.html

I was born in Mason City Iowa and raised in Kearney Nebraska. The nearest thing we had to Hobby stories was a Radio Shack that was too far away to visit but we did get a catalogue as they sold Heath Kit Radios that I helped a few friends build. Nothing related to aircraft. And we were so far out we never heard of Catalogues, except Sears, so we had to build everything. I did know of Sterling as that is were I bought my Flying Fool ... but my comment more embraced that fact that there was nothing around us for States. Back then the parents never allowed a "long distance call". so everything was Snail Mail for real.

Enjoy the Link, I have ...

BBailey
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM
BBailey711

I do have to agree with that. I am 100% disabled and I can not get around so good any more. Park Flyers are looking better. But I don't know a thing about the Electrics. Still from the old school.

BBailey
Old 09-25-2015, 11:55 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO our hobby is a direct reflection of economics and convience. Glow powered models is a dying breed because glow fuel became unaffordable for most modelers. These same modelers went over to gas because the fuel was affordable. Now electrics are surpassing gas not for affordability but convince.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it flies.....I'm ALL FOR IT!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you feel that we all should fly just what you like ?

Say you don't like electrics, helicopters and drones. You don't like Arfs, either. Take those away from your club. How many members, and how many models would you see ? Be careful. Builders are in a minority. If the majority rules, we may be the ones to be banned.

There's room for everybody. If we don't embrace certain areas of our hobby, that's up to us. We do not need to impose our will upon others.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm with you Tom! I stick to just glow but I can appreciate the other options and will dip a toe in them from time to time.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:16 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm with you Tom! I stick to just glow but I can appreciate the other options and will dip a toe in them from time to time.
I prefer to build my models, but I have ARF's.
I prefer self -built scale models, but I fly mostly sport ARFs.
I prefer gas, but I fly mostly electric and some glow.

The longer that I am in this hobby, the more diversity I find and investigate.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my glow and I love to build, yet I have a number of electrics that I can throw in the car and fly on a whim, which with so much family and work priorities, my electric PNPs get a most of my airtime as of late. However, foamy electrics just don't excite me, in fact, I almost got so board with them I almost quit the hobby. I found that I am still attracted to 100 mph of screaming nitro powered .46 in a plane made from balsa that I built myself.

I would like to comment about how those who want to remain old school may be the ones banned from clubs, well, I do feel that is happening with clubs that go "all electric".

Last edited by scottrc; 09-25-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Mickydee1354

Most builders fly at least a bit, and all flyers are potential builders. I think it just depends on where you are in your R/C aircraft career. Early on, I tried building from plans, kits, and then ARF's. These days I fly both balsa and foam ARF's due to family and work commitments.

That said, I am steadily squirreling away a stash of kits for some building fun after I retire in a year or two. It's all good. No need to look down on anyone for enjoying this hobby in the way they love.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:57 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
...Now electrics are surpassing gas not for affordability but convince.
Until CA bans electricity

I have them all, and fly what fits the field and day.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
AERORICH73

Hi fellows: Just getting back to the website. I is really important to keep in mind that one can go off of a diet plan and enjoy pigging out on sugar, and pizzas at times. This is some sort of thought about what kind of models one purchases and flies. This hobby has given us the opportunity to create a three dimensional object to release into the air. Since we do not give birth to a baby, this hobby gives us something to hover over, and set free under our control, and hopefully bring it back to land in one original piece. Not all model purchases gives one the same connection as having build the parts to build a model, or kit. There is always the time constrains we face everyday which present how to manage our involvement in the hobby. It means we enjoy whatever decision we make as to flying an ARF, used model, or built kit. No one should be labeled in varying the way we make choices in being in this great hobby. I am a retired aircraft mechanic, and enjoy the opportunity to play with fuel engines, This does not mean that I would not do all I could to get someone with a factory electric powered foamy that needed help in getting airborne, and having fun flying the plane.

Do hope my comments makes sense.

[email protected]

Scappoose, Oregon 97056
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Aquila1954
Oh I forgot, I have 1 ARF glider, the other glider/sailplanes I have I built from kits. I m planning to scratch build from plans is a Airtronics Aquila. I had that plane back in 1975. And I am planning to buy this short kit to build later this winter. http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=280
I am also in the process of building a Sig Riser 2 Meter sailplane and after that is done a Sig Riser 100 after. And they are all going to be electric motors in them.

Also, I am still a newbie about electric, I started learning about it in Oct. 2014. So, by no means I am no expert on it. I still ask questions from all of you from time to time.

Last edited by Aquila1954; 09-25-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Duncman

Foamies, I get that. But electric crap? I have seen numerous scratch built using traditional methods that were/are absolutely works of art, usually golden age airplanes, that are electric powered and I look at them with the same admiration I would a glow or petrol i.c. powered plane. Just a different power plant, otherwise the same skill set went into them.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:19 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

One more comment on electric foamy planes.There are quite a few older members in my club,lets say lost there mojo,now they feel there part of the gang again.They go out and fly with a spotter,if they screw up,no big deal,we laugh about it,and they feel they're a full part of the club again.jeffo
Old 09-26-2015, 10:58 AM
BBailey711

Jeffo

I was never a GOOD flyer, just mediocre, But I can build with the best of them in Balsa. I want to expand and learn big Foamies, I could even go to using Foamies onto Fibreglass a speciality to me. But these are bigger Go-Fast models. I am going to buy a new RC Computer Trainer, when I find the best one, and try to relearn my Bipes, and aerobatic stuff, New I now I can fly may 72" Tri-Pacer and my Bud Nosen 9ft Champ, and my 72" Sig Senior Falcon. But I need a refresher so a Flight Course would do me great on my Mustang, Phil Craft's Quick Fli {II, Dewyville Special, my 48in Biplane, the Sigs 2 Jet shaped models, etc. I have 18 Planes built and close to flying, and have flown before. I have 9 in the box (Not for sale) and I scratchbuid. I am really a shop hermit.

But a new Realistic Computer Flying Course would put me ma back on track. Maybe you could suggest one.

Thank you

Bbaiey

Last edited by BBailey711; 09-26-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Volcanxxx

I enjoy builing from kits but I think many don't build because of cost and they are intimidated or don't have a space for building plus it seems everyone is into foamy electric junk I don't get it.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 AM
BBailey711

We`ve established that. Everyone has for 60 yrs of experience to just a couple years. They fly what is readily available and what they are comfortable with. Also, what they expect to get from the hobby interims of enjoyment and cost... We ALL love Aircraft Modelling, but we don't all enjoy certain aspects of it. Some don't have time nor have interest in BUILDING. In the END it's ALL GOOD as long a we keep flying, keep bringing new people into the hobby and keep the hobby Stores and Manufactures that supply them in business.

Look at how many brick and mortars and Magazines we have already lost and went under. ANY kind of flying would keep them motivated and in business, unless you feel going all the way back to the Escarpment days where we had to build our own wheels, Links, Horns, Hinges, etc as no one around could do it for you. This kills getting new, younger, faces at the fields. And so generations are NOT lost. Keep them flying, what ever they want to. It's BEST for the ENTIRE model industry. You would not want the Balsa supply to dry up, so get way too expensive so you could not build, and have to build ribs, spars and longrons out of laminated paper and epoxy, or light Formica, start using cardboard for inside structure. Let it bee what it is, and we can all enjoy what we enjoy, I love True Scale and the same with Floatboats. I am a long way from Park Flyers, but they now have intrigued me so who knows what I will do in the next 10 years? And why should they care? I have received "Grass Duck" and "Mud Duck " Plans to build 1st foamy projects thanks to my brothers. They are not pretty, they are not like any of my other aircratf, in fact they could be called "Gangly", "Ugly", etc. but they will fly. And I will very much enjoy them.

BBailey
Old 09-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Duncman

I enjoy builing from kits but I think many don't build because of cost and they are intimidated or don't have a space for building plus it seems everyone is into foamy electric junk I don't get it.
I build kits and scratch build, I have some nice airplanes gas and glow but I also keep a foamy or two in the truck to satisfy that sudden urge to fly no matter where I'm at. Helps me keep my meager flying skills sharp(?), don't have to worry about noise, carrying hazardous fuel around, etc. Besides, when I lawn dart a foamy, who cares? So far it has saved my other planes from a premature end, when I do fly them I am successful so I guess I can say that I get it. BTW: I love building.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:45 PM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Still working on my F11-C2 per WE TEchnical Services plans and Limey Bob short kit. Got all parts roughed out enough to assemble and test the cabane structure. Now finishing up the fuselage with forward planking ; have to figure out how to hold on the bottom wing and teardrop gas tank. Working away slowly but surely.
Jim B
Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

F11 C2 still underway. Must have used a ton of balsa; just test fit wings, elevator/stab and rudder/fin. Will post a pic when I find a way to get it onto my iMac; maybe I'll have to hook up my old printer just long enough to upload it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.