Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:23 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Vega is now fully painted. I'm waiting on the graphics order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_006.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	766.0 KB
ID:	2122411   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	698.2 KB
ID:	2122412  
Old 09-27-2015, 01:06 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job Tom,that plane is on my bucket list.What are you putting in for power?jeffo
Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I'm still painting. Now, it's the trim.
Not to change the subject but what type of paint are you using Tom? It looks great.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:43 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

My Vega is now fully painted. I'm waiting on the graphics order.
That is some amazing artwork!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:18 AM
TomCrump

Thanks, guys !

The IKON Lockheed Vega will be powered by a Magnum 1.60 twin.

The paint is Rustoleum aerosol cans. After I apply the graphics, I'll spray a coat of Minwax Polyurethane, for added fuel resistance.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys !

The IKON Lockheed Vega will be powered by a Magnum 1.60 twin.

The paint is Rustoleum aerosol cans. After I apply the graphics, I'll spray a coat of Minwax Polyurethane, for added fuel resistance.
Who would ever believe that is a rattle can paint jib. Came out really nice.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:46 AM
rbrown597

I've been following this thread with interest, over the last few months. I agree that builders are a dying breed. The reasons are just as varied as the people in the hobby. I like to build, however, I have a couple of arfs that I assembled. My Astro Hog Bi Plane (complete with Dave the minion as pilot) is my pride and joy. I fly it with care and a little concern out of fear for damage. My 46 Kaos ARF fly's like a bat out of hell, and I really enjoy it. It has become my go-to fun fly airframe. I've looked at electric and decided they are not for me. That doesn't mean they don't belong. So, what ever your passion, I hope it stays and we can continue to expand out hobby in a positive and productive light.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:08 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Duncman
Who would ever believe that is a rattle can paint jib. Came out really nice.
Thanks. Rustoleum may surprise you. If you have an opportunity, try it.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I concur with Tom, a very nice finish is achievable using Rustoleum in rattle cans. The only drawback I found was that some of the opaque colors are better than others in terms of being resistant to glow fuel residue and the metallic colors are not at all glow fuel proof. Not a problem on electric or gas powered models. Here is a Sea Fury that I did with Rustoleum rattle can paint.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Duncman

Convinced me. Haven't used it in years but I can see it in my future.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I concur with Tom, a very nice finish is achievable using Rustoleum in rattle cans. The only drawback I found was that some of the opaque colors are better than others in terms of being resistant to glow fuel residue and the metallic colors are not at all glow fuel proof. Not a problem on electric or gas powered models. Here is a Sea Fury that I did with Rustoleum rattle can paint.

Wow, that really pops.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Another beauty!
Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Tom,
do you use the water base(blue can),or the brown can.I find the water base doesn't hold up.jeffo
Old 09-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Billy J
My Feedback: (4)

Default Billy J

You guys need to clear over that paint with a good automotive clear! Still building with grandpa at 80 years old , he started me off at 8 years old with a Sig Cadet . we were actually talking about arf kits and prices of wood glue / components and so on ! he was screaming at me cause we are completing several Ziroli builds and he wanted a scale prop , spinner , and paint . Now with that being said the money that was invested in these products could have easily bought a giant arf warbird ! I still love the smell of wood and will build forever which now I am passing on to my young pilot which just turned 10 what I know through the years ! That's what makes a great hobby , one that educates kids and keep them off the streets and teaches them how tools can be used along with safety !!!!!

Name:	IMG_2560.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2122517  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:18 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

this is an old royal corsair that was painted with rattle cans from hardware store and hobby shop, i clear coated with lustercoat as it is fuel proof. unfortunatly crashed on 2nd flite, apparently 25 year old balsa and glue is not a good combination.

Name:	2012-12-14 23.18.33.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	978.3 KB
ID:	2122594  
Old 09-27-2015, 05:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If I weren't a builder, I would have no clue how to repair. Today I detailed my Sig Something Extra. Only thing holding it on were the pushrods and covering. The SSE does not fly well when the canopy pops off, makes landings difficult because of all the extra drag. That will be another thing to fix, those magnets do not hold the canopy on, this is the second time it came off in flight, first time I was able to land it OK, but today I lost all elevator control, even though it had plenty of speed, so wondering if all the issues I have been having with the engine quitting is due to radio issues, and had nothing to do with the engine. Replacing the JR with Futaba once I fix the tail.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by jeffo
Tom,
do you use the water base(blue can),or the brown can.I find the water base doesn't hold up.jeffo
I'll use the gloss polyurethane (oil base). I believe that it's a silver can.http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...g-polyurethane

I used satin on my Great Lakes Trainer.

Like you, I don't think that the waterborne polycryllic will hold up to fuel .

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	717.2 KB
ID:	2122692  

Last edited by TomCrump; 09-28-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

On Minwax poly the can color indicates the finish silver = Gloss Gold = Satin. The simplest way to to tell if its oil base is to look at the cleanup instructions oil base requires mineral spirits or paint thinner. Rustoleum stands to reason to be like everything else we use in this hobby, they have made improvements over time. If you don't keep up you get left behind like buggy whips, wagon wrights, and assorted other good businesses that disappeared as progress marched on.

As for electrics I have two, a GWS Foamy DC-2 Beaver I would consider an ARF if not close to it. The second is a SIG Rascal C with the stock brush motor and gear reduction that came with the kit. Both are fun to fly! The Rascal C was kit built and a blast to build but a newbie builder may have some challenges getting the wings built due to the washout built into the tips. I did cheat a little on the finish I bought the pants set from the ARF since I was doing the white/transparent green livery. I added gold pinstripes to dress it up a bit and used a heavy green paper instead of gray for the optional interior.

Sounds like typical builders preferences changes right? You can tell a build he/she is the guy/girl who can't resist changing something from the original design! That's another change you are starting to see more girls and women in this hobby both as fliers and builders. One teen girl does build articles for the AMA Park Pilot magazine (take both MA and Park Pilot) and she appears to be quite the capable young lady.

Mike
Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bryanmiick
this is an old royal corsair that was painted with rattle cans from hardware store and hobby shop, i clear coated with lustercoat as it is fuel proof. unfortunatly crashed on 2nd flite, apparently 25 year old balsa and glue is not a good combination.
Yeah, the ground really likes that well seasoned wood so it reaches up and drags the airplane down when you blink!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 AM
tao2299

I am just beginning the RC building process and although starting into the hobby via elecrtic foamies have quickly migrated to the full build process. I am in love!! this is so much more fulfilling to fly your own build. I have begun a couple of projects from old dusty kits I happened to find on craigs list. 2 1990 Top Flight kits. the 81" spitfire and a 60 size corsair. Have wing and fuse together on the corsair and am almost to paint stage now and not too far behind with the Spit.. Looking forward o first flights early 2016... So the new builders are still out there,, they just need to really see the value in building and flying their own work...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by tao2299
I am just beginning the RC building process and although starting into the hobby via elecrtic foamies have quickly migrated to the full build process. I am in love!! this is so much more fulfilling to fly your own build. I have begun a couple of projects from old dusty kits I happened to find on craigs list. 2 1990 Top Flight kits. the 81" spitfire and a 60 size corsair. Have wing and fuse together on the corsair and am almost to paint stage now and not too far behind with the Spit.. Looking forward o first flights early 2016... So the new builders are still out there,, they just need to really see the value in building and flying their own work...
Okay guy's, here is an argument in favor of Foamies. Welcome to the hobby tao2299, I hope you have many years of enjoyment.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
On Minwax poly the can color indicates the finish silver = Gloss Gold = Satin. The simplest way to to tell if its oil base is to look at the cleanup instructions oil base requires mineral spirits or paint thinner. Rustoleum stands to reason to be like everything else we use in this hobby, they have made improvements over time. If you don't keep up you get left behind like buggy whips, wagon wrights, and assorted other good businesses that disappeared as progress marched on.

As for electrics I have two, a GWS Foamy DC-2 Beaver I would consider an ARF if not close to it. The second is a SIG Rascal C with the stock brush motor and gear reduction that came with the kit. Both are fun to fly! The Rascal C was kit built and a blast to build but a newbie builder may have some challenges getting the wings built due to the washout built into the tips. I did cheat a little on the finish I bought the pants set from the ARF since I was doing the white/transparent green livery. I added gold pinstripes to dress it up a bit and used a heavy green paper instead of gray for the optional interior.

Sounds like typical builders preferences changes right? You can tell a build he/she is the guy/girl who can't resist changing something from the original design! That's another change you are starting to see more girls and women in this hobby both as fliers and builders. One teen girl does build articles for the AMA Park Pilot magazine (take both MA and Park Pilot) and she appears to be quite the capable young lady.

Mike
Having 1 Daughter and 4 Granddaughters and 2 Great Granddaughter's I would love to see more young ladies take up the hobby, they can be quite capable when they apply themselves, sadly they often get boy crazy, then marriage driven, then baby crazy and MA will never again be a part of their lives. Not saying any of that stuff is bad, just saying that is the way it seems to go.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Duncman
Having 1 Daughter and 4 Granddaughters and 2 Great Granddaughter's I would love to see more young ladies take up the hobby, they can be quite capable when they apply themselves, sadly they often get boy crazy, then marriage driven, then baby crazy and MA will never again be a part of their lives. Not saying any of that stuff is bad, just saying that is the way it seems to go.
You see a similar problem with the boys when they start getting interested in girls and go off to college. I thought I had my youngest of 4 boys interested until he started dating in high school and then started college. My no. 3 son is married and with a 2 year old and is after me to setup a demo for the kids in his CAP unit. I almost have the airplane ready. Its a J-3 with circa 1945 CAP insignia. My 182 will get the full modern day CAP livery when I finish it.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM
fly20
My Feedback: (2)

Default another rustoleum fan

finished my topflite c-47 with the ultra flat camouflage. my first try at a more 'challenging' kit

Name:	IMG_1120.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2122722  

Last edited by fly20; 09-28-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking bird Fly20!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.