Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well since you brought up the subject, in keeping in the same Golden Era, how about Pancho Barnes' Travel Air Mystery Ship NR-613K? You could go two ways with it, the factory built design powered with the D-6 Chevrolair inline engine or the radial conversion Pancho did after she purchased it and flown by Paul Mantz for his stunt work.

Unfortunately, I sold my Mystery Ship kit to Don. I like your line of thought, though.

Last Winter, I traded a kit for an OS Pegasus four cylinder. I'd like to put it in the nose of my next build. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FUcbgQodCAgN8Q

I have a kit for a Hostetler Luscombe Silvair. http://www.hostetlersplans.com/luscombe.html The flat four fits easily inside the cowl. I'm leaning towards building this kit.

I'd like something relatively easy, as that Vega wore me out. On the Luscombe, only the fuselage requires sheeting, versus sheeting the entire airframe, like the Vega.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple of photos of the Travel Air Mystery Ship NR-613K

Doesn't turn your prop, need a bigger challenge? Then how about this one?

Tell me that cowling and prop setup wouldn't be fun to model!
That would be an awesome build, end of subject!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Unfortunately, I sold my Mystery Ship kit to Don. I like your line of thought, though.

Last Winter, I traded a kit for an OS Pegasus four cylinder. I'd like to put it in the nose of my next build. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FUcbgQodCAgN8Q

I have a kit for a Hostetler Luscombe Silvair. http://www.hostetlersplans.com/luscombe.html The flat four fits easily inside the cowl. I'm leaning towards building this kit.

I'd like something relatively easy, as that Vega wore me out. On the Luscombe, only the fuselage requires sheeting, versus sheeting the entire airframe, like the Vega.
That sounds like a good choice Tom!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom it's just another beautiful signature build of yours. Some time back you said you have planes you have never flown, will you fly this one. Must be the love of building, which is obvious and your next one will be no different in quality regardless what it is, One thing is clear, you don't pick the easy ones to build.

Great work, keep it up,
Leroy
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
aircraftbuilder67

I've been having a good building year so far. I finished a Contender earlier this summer and I'm doing the final rigging on my Hog Bipe. Hope to maiden the Hog Bipe in the next two weeks. Would have tried to do it this weekend, but with the rain coming, it would have to be on floats!

Here they are with one caveat - I need to re-apply the panel lines to the Contender (note to self: fuel resistant is NOT fuel proof):

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hog Bipe.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	2123087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contender.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	2123088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2123090  

Last edited by aircraftbuilder67; 10-01-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paladin
OMG, I have not seen one of those since it stopped drawing on a drafting board ~ 1983 ~.

Joe
Are you referring to the "paint mask" that looks like the splines that were used with "ducks" back in the day?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 PM
BrightGarden

Building has its own rewards but I am cursed by the generosity of others.

Let em explain. This is a relatively timely phenomenon.

1. I have a Sig 1/6 scale Cub to finish that I have been carrying around for 30 years.
2. I watch ebay for "built planes" and search only within 100 miles of my locale.

Well, with the rise of electrics and gas powered airplanes, many glow engines and planes are becoming available at good prices.

So, I place a bid on a two planes on eBay. And promptly forget about it. And then get an eBay message my low-ball bid did, indeed, win the auction.
There is limited interest in these built planes due to the complexity of packaging to ship and cost of shipping. They are for the most part "Local Pickup" on eBay.

I went over and picked the planes up today. Amazing specimens - a Sig Kadet in very good shape with a TSI (Tiger Shark) .48, and a 1/6 scale cub in very good shape - maybe never flown.
I don't see when I am going to get my unfinished Sig 1/6 Cub done now that I found this plane at such a bargain.

Now the generosity part. The gentleman asked "Do you want to take that, too?" pointing to a Fokker D8 with about 50" wingspan. "You bet!"
"Do you want those two electric planes over there?"
"yup"

My Explorer was filled to the gills and fortunately everything fit like puzzle pieces into the Explorer.

So, my issue with building is these types of deals that are coming up. I am afraid to mention what I paid for each, much less with the extras thrown in.
Sure, the F8 didn't have an engine but I have plenty of those from other hauls I have made.

Kind of like fishing, you never know what's going to surface.

Anyway, I thought I would mention this other reason for being kept away from the building table.

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete
Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, I wonder if mine is still in the back of my desk drawer. used to draw free hand curves, splines are a computer term.

my slide rule was destroyed when the kids realized the leather case had a belt loop on it and that made it a sword with a scabbard. even better, if they pulled it out of the scabbard really fast it (the slid rule) the center peace would pop out "just like a light saber". there was not a lot left by the time I got home, but they were so proud of what they had discovered!

Joe
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Tom it's just another beautiful signature build of yours. Some time back you said you have planes you have never flown, will you fly this one. Must be the love of building, which is obvious and your next one will be no different in quality regardless what it is, One thing is clear, you don't pick the easy ones to build.

Great work, keep it up,
Leroy
Thanks !

I build my models to fly, but I maiden them as the mood strikes. Sometimes, that mood takes some time to arrive.

I would like to maiden the Vega next year. We'll see where it falls into the que. I'd like to get my IKON Cessna 165 and Sig Spacewalker maidened. The Ryan Brougham falls in there, too.

I like to build. Flying them is almost like a seperate hobby.

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	2123152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2123153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2123154  
Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Whatever floats your boat Tom, I'm the same way!

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 AM
TomCrump

Whatever floats your boat Tom, I'm the same way!

Mike

I like to fly, but I like to build, even more.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Are you referring to the "paint mask" that looks like the splines that were used with "ducks" back in the day?

Sincerely, Richard
Splines, ducks, used those a bunch as a Lofter.for 21 years.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:37 PM
spaceworm

ya, I wonder if mine is still in the back of my desk drawer. used to draw free hand curves, splines are a computer term.

my slide rule was destroyed when the kids realized the leather case had a belt loop on it and that made it a sword with a scabbard. even better, if they pulled it out of the scabbard really fast it (the slid rule) the center peace would pop out "just like a light saber". there was not a lot left by the time I got home, but they were so proud of what they had discovered!

Joe
OK, what was it that you had not seen since...?

I think ducks and splines were original to the classic board and T square school of drafting. I think AutoCAD coined the spline term for their use later. Plastic ships curves came after ducks and splines and kinda replaced them; I still have a full set in a mahogany box.

Yes, I am that old.

Sincerely, Richard

Which slide rule did you have: K&E, Dietzgen, or one of those green aluminum things? I liked the bamboo 'rules, even though you had to keep them powdered up.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just picked up an Ace RC 4-60, and the uy who built it did a really good job. Very will made, the covering looks good, nice and tight. He also had a Cessna 182 without the skin on it and you can see the workmanship was superb.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 AM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

I will be back building as soon as I sell off my hpi Baja ss with tons of tools and parts. Got out of the planes to help out a hobby shop that does land rc and that was the big thing here. I miss the building so it's time to get back to it.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM
paladin

Originally Posted by spaceworm
OK, what was it that you had not seen since...?

I think ducks and splines were original to the classic board and T square school of drafting. I think AutoCAD coined the spline term for their use later. Plastic ships curves came after ducks and splines and kinda replaced them; I still have a full set in a mahogany box.

Yes, I am that old.

Sincerely, Richard

Which slide rule did you have: K&E, Dietzgen, or one of those green aluminum things? I liked the bamboo 'rules, even though you had to keep them powdered up.
I'm talkin about the green thing in fw190's pic. a bendable peace of plastic to make oddball curves. as for splines, I had ellipse templates not splines, may be just where we were taught? all that stuff was pretty well picked over by the kids. but eventually I will get back to it. anybody want a steel drafting board? with wt balanced elevation? seams to be a dinosaur?

I think a K&E but IDK what it was only thing I remember was I had to pay 35 bucks for it when I was making $2.80 and hr. only to have them make $5 calculators ok to use the following year, could not use a scientific ($400.00) in tests but had to have it for the homework and labs.

Originally Posted by fw190
Very cool tip there Tom. BTW I used this method to get a fade between color

Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 AM
spaceworm

I'm talkin about the green thing in fw190's pic. a bendable peace of plastic to make oddball curves....anybody want a steel drafting board? with wt balanced elevation? seams to be a dinosaur?...

I think the green flexible thing is a purpose made paint mask used to obtain a soft edge to the masked part, as on cameo on warplanes I have not used one, but I have heard of them.

The steel drafting table would be ideal for building with magnets. By definition it would be smooth and flat. I don't use magnets, but many do. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 AM
paladin

yes it was/is but I have been using the wood one with a peace of glass on it so I can ca right to it and put the plans under it. works excellent if you understand parallax. so the steel one is piled high with all the used models that need work and I could use the space much better.

as for the soft edge I somewhere saw pictures of painters standing on a focke wulf wing painting on the camo. he had no formers or masks, just free hand. so I out line with my badger 150 and a medium tip with the nozzle pointed inboard of the area to be painted. the medium tip most closely fits a paint guns over spray in 1/6 or 1/5 scale. then finish the center up with out causing over spray out side the boarders I painted first.

as for the painting aid it still reminds me of the "adjustable curve tool" I think I still have. its funny how when the kids move out they leave all their not good enough to go with us stuff and too good to let mom & dad toss it. so I'm slowly putting that stuff in the attic, and some day I will get all the way in to where the drafting stuff is.

Joe
Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Nice rattle can finishes! I am using Dupli-Color auto paint spray cans to paint my Ziroli Panther, everything is painted with this paint. I used Get Stencils to paint the stars n bars and the numbers. Need to paint the rudder yellow and glue the tail feathers on, add the nomenclature and clear coat. Just so everyone knows, the Dupli-colors are fuel proof, both gas and glow.

Luke

Name:	IMG_20151009_175417cut.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	2124605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151009_175432cut.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	2124606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151009_175536cut.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	2124607  
Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Nice rattle can finishes! I am using Dupli-Color auto paint spray cans to paint my Ziroli Panther, everything is painted with this paint. I used Get Stencils to paint the stars n bars and the numbers. Need to paint the rudder yellow and glue the tail feathers on, add the nomenclature and clear coat. Just so everyone knows, the Dupli-colors are fuel proof, both gas and glow.

Luke

Nice work, Luke !

I like the way the Duplicolor sprays out of their cans. I've used it on gassers, but haven't tried it with glow.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks Tom, yea, if you twist the nozzle on the Duplicolor you can either a vertical or horizontal pattern, pretty nice.

Just to finish this Panther story, I did the maiden today, no video because it was just me and a friend. I will get pictures and video next weekend. But it flew, and it flew nice! The landing was so soft it was hard to tell if it was on the runway or still flying! It is a floater, it went by me at first and I realized I forgot about the air brakes, next pass was less throttle and speed brakes out. I have to finish the cockpit and it is completely done, it did need some down trim even though I balanced it nose heavy with 1lb of lead in the nose, came out to 24lbs. I think this is good with all the scale detail I added, bomb drop, sequencing gear doors, air operated canopy, speed brakes and full panel lines and rivets.

Name:	IMG_20151018_183325.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	2126135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_183424.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	2126136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_183916.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	2126137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_183831.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	2126138  
Old 10-19-2015, 02:52 PM
p61-restoration

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus

That is some work you did! any chance you might have the plans for the marutaka p-61 still laying around?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
atvguru

would much rather build its a pride thing don't much care to ever fly after the maiden always try to sell pretty quick after the build is through just to finance the next build
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM
paladin

Originally Posted by atvguru
would much rather build its a pride thing don't much care to ever fly after the maiden always try to sell pretty quick after the build is through just to finance the next build
haha me too.

my son (32) has adopted my platt fockewulf 190 d-9 I built the year before he was born. but there is not a market for used warbirds that does not require boxing it up and sending to astralia.

Joe
Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha me too.

my son (32) has adopted my platt fockewulf 190 d-9 I built the year before he was born. but there is not a market for used warbirds that does not require boxing it up and sending to astralia.

Joe
Got my 13 year old cutting out parts off the plans and he is turning into a good laser cutting machine :-) lol joe

Name:	DSCN0060.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2143789   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0209.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	2143790  
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.