Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Heck stop by anytime you pass thru! I will be embarrassed when you see the way I have airplane stuff spread all over out of control.. 27 years or so of building and collecting this stuff will do that !
I'd be disappointed if you didn't have airplanes stuff spread all over. I would expect that you'd be like a lot of us. Airplane stuff everywhere. I once had a Walt Moucha PJ bipe on my dining room table...........................for over a year.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Tie ? We don't wear them when we fly on Sundays, at our field.
You don't have a dress code in addition to AMA, FAA, CIA, and IRS Codes?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM
jarhead24
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,

You are correct sir, I can't wait until the next swap meet! Retirement is a ways off yet, Good Lord willing... I do enjoy building very much. Learned alot over the years, learn something new everyday from it.

Sean P
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Voblackwood

As for me I would rather build than fly which probably why I barely can fly after 35 years of building. The challenge of construction is satisfying to the mind. It blocks out the outside world and is totally relaxing. When it does not matter when you finish you are in another world. When you finish and finish it and fly it there is proud moment. Sounds kind of stupid in this fast paced world of today but maybe that's why it still appeals to me. I believe that the older we get it the more we should challenge our brain.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:29 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Voblackwood
As for me I would rather build than fly which probably why I barely can fly after 35 years of building. The challenge of construction is satisfying to the mind. It blocks out the outside world and is totally relaxing. When it does not matter when you finish you are in another world. When you finish and finish it and fly it there is proud moment. Sounds kind of stupid in this fast paced world of today but maybe that's why it still appeals to me. I believe that the older we get it the more we should challenge our brain.
A wise man, just today, said the building pleases the senses.

I can't think of a better way to express it. Those who get it. Get it. Those who don't understand this, probably never will.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Voblack.. Just get a good pilot !

I figure I will probably keep building even if I can't fly anymore... Their is JOY in seeing a plane of your own labors gliding by....
Old 01-30-2016, 05:41 PM
jarhead24

Originally Posted by Voblackwood
Not stupid at all, quite the contrary...Problem solving, critical thinking and crafting. It relaxes me, I can disappear for hours building too. I really do enjoy building as much as the flying now...
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

My son who moved from Frankfurt Germany to Chicago last year called me with a great idea I hope I can swing. He wants us to come up at the end of July for vacation so we call take the wives to Oshkosh this year. Neither one of us has ever been there it sounds like fun!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
My son who moved from Frankfurt Germany to Chicago last year called me with a great idea I hope I can swing. He wants us to come up at the end of July for vacation so we call take the wives to Oshkosh this year. Neither one of us has ever been there it sounds like fun!
Its fun, just be prepared for a lot of walking, and a LOT of people. I was going to take the family last year, then found out what it would cost for the 6 of us, went to the Milwaukee Zoo instead. Good thing too, it was hot that day, and with little shade and no fountains for water, the kids would have been making us miserable.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
In spite of all the drawbacks....GO! It is well worth the time, frustration and being that you will be in Chicago, (with free housing), get up VERY early and drive up there. ANY AVIATION LOVER should visit that show at least once in their lifetime!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

First time I went to EAA, I met Pappy Boyington. He was there for his book signing tour. Had I known, I would have brought the book I had just finished reading with me. Funny, he had NO resemblance to Robert Conrad.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With over 800 pages and more than 16,000 threads in the builder's forum, I think we're ok. As an aside, I met a fella at the lhs just last week. He told me he has been flying R/C for seven years yet he didn't know what an airfoil was or even why airplanes fly! To me, this is the real problem with ARF's and RTF's. These people know nothing about aviation or aeronautics. He didn't even know why airplanes need tail planes. Yikes! This is scaring the snot out of me.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I think that those of us who started with free flight models learned a great deal about aeronautics which has stood us in good stead with R/C.

Interesting that the man who had been flying ARTFs for seven years did not know what a tailplane was for. I take it that this meeting did not take place in the USA where a tailplane is usually called a stabiliser!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I think that those of us who started with free flight models learned a great deal about aeronautics which has stood us in good stead with R/C.

Interesting that the man who had been flying ARTFs for seven years did not know what a tailplane was for. I take it that this meeting did not take place in the USA where a tailplane is usually called a stabiliser!
Hey, there in France. Bonjour! (Did I do that right?) Actually, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I just like to use my words. Tail plane, tail group, tail feathers, etc. Yes, it would seem that the current crop of R/C flyers (notice I didn't say "pilots") don't have even a basic understanding of why or how airplanes fly. I'm sure some of them might be offended by this so, let the flaming begin. By the way, I have built many stick and tissue rubber powered models over the years. Love them. If you really want learn how to trim an airplane, fly free flight! And if you really want to learn how to pilot an aircraft, fly a sailplane. on another note, I have flown the Senior Telemaster with a Saito .82. This combination may well be the perfect trainer. Too much fun.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

If you want to make their eyes glaze over just mention fluid mechanics (they think you're talking boats) or better yet try to discuss Reynolds numbers (granted that is a tough nut to crack).
Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 AM
paladin

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richardlv1953
With over 800 pages and more than 16,000 threads in the builder's forum, I think we're ok. As an aside, I met a fella at the lhs just last week. He told me he has been flying R/C for seven years yet he didn't know what an airfoil was or even why airplanes fly! To me, this is the real problem with ARF's and RTF's. These people know nothing about aviation or aeronautics. He didn't even know why airplanes need tail planes. Yikes! This is scaring the snot out of me.
haha, that brings back memories of running to my dads car and hopping in to chase the plane. until I realized that running to the car was an act of desperation, cause I had already lost, leading me to figure out how to make it not do that anymore.

I have to laugh though my son and I fly together, some would say we have a comedy act that contains flying. he is one of those that believes there is nothing to building these toys, though he is trying. he's trying because I tell him the ARF and foamy will be gone some day, and he see's that market shrinking every year. anyway back on topic, we will bust each other all the time we are at the field, everyone else laughs and every now and then I get a FU old man and its usually because I make a comment to one of my builder friends and he takes it as a shot at him. sort of a bonus for me, cause I did not through my net in his direction but caught him anyway.

more importantly I've noticed the ARF/foamie guys know it all. many times I get ask questions at the field by a foamie flier, the questions in this hobby are not simple yes/no answers and they tell me im wrong, I don't know what im talking about, My son is laughing in the background of coarse.

so what we have been doing the last two years is I send them to my son. he speaks their language right down to the cocky attitude. they like talking to him. sometimes he will bring them out and stand behind me and he will talk them through what im doing and why, I just fly. now he has a number of foamie buddies that would like to build, himself included. my plan again is only speak when spoken too. my son loves that, taking jabs at dad and he does not retort back.

the first hurdle is they want to learn to build on the plane that is driving them to building. just like fishing they are nibbling around the bate.

Joe
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 AM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

Check me in as builder

Here's my story/rant/thoughts

Built and flew heavy in early 90's as a mid twenties kid who grew up building plastic models. This is my second go around in the hobby with a 10-12 break between. Love to build. In my first round, a good friend expert pilot taught me how to fly. I loved/love building mine as well as his then just to see the creations fly. As has been stated prior conversations, tough to find time to build as life's demands and responsibilities take over. I can tell you after my break getting back into it, I LOVE IT STILL. The get away, escape, creation and appreciation given by those who can appreciate a build from a kit.

with that said, I learned that in this modern world of ARFs, you can buy an ARF cheaper than building one from a kit. Yes, you will get a plane that looks like identical to your buddies.

Yes, you can be at the field almost instantly with an ARF these days.

However, it is not your creation by your own gifted hands.

I guess I would sum up the hobby and types within 3 groups:

Those who love to fly

Those who love to build

Those who have a happy median with flying and building.

So with the builders whereabouts being questioned, same goes the kits. In my first round, ARFs were junk and kits were all the rage. Multiple large companies as well as many mom and pops companies making some really neat kits. Those are the ones folks like to sell now as rare and hard to find. A few short years ago, they were main stream.

So I do not have the answer. I want to say I am back in it helping to preserve the dying breed. My youngest who is 13 is getting some great exposure and hopefully appreciation. I figured as well as those with the club I recently joined. Yep, predominantly ARF flyers with exception of "the silver hair" crowd. Doing my part to influence even though I do not consider myself in the "silver hair" crowd yet. Just mid life.

I guess enough for now.

ps. I never kept a large masses of kits. What I do have that I have begun gathering are boxes of sticks (former kits like Nosen, ACE, Sig, Precedent,Lanier, Goldberg) that make great flying birds.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ragwing Fan considering the quality of a scratch or kit built airplane to an ARF/RTF I would say there is a big discrepancy between the two. You get what you pay for and for what you invest in an airplane!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
born2build

Hey, Ragwing. Put me in that third category. I love to build, love to fly. These are the things that bring me real peace. Remember; if you didn't build it, it's not really yours-- Tim Allen
Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plane was built a few years ago from a Sig kit (1/4 Scale).

In the last few years I have become interested in metal working and started adding some upgrades to my Cub. First came a set of spring struts modeled after a set available for a full scale. Just today I finished up a set of aluminum wheels with ball bearings for the Cub. Usually I do so many touch-n-goes searching for that perfect touchdown that I wear out the wheels rapidly.

The struts can be purchased... But why buy when you can make!

SunDevilPilot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub - 1.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	2146041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Hubcaps - 1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2146042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Hubcaps - 2.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2146043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Hubcaps - 3.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2146044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1913.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2146045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6073.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2146046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	2146047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6080.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	2146048  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6084.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2146050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6086.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	2146052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6088.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	2146053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6089.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	2146055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6095.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2146056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6305.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2146057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6325.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2146058  
Old 02-08-2016, 05:00 PM
born2build

Very cool,dude
Old 02-08-2016, 05:23 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought two kits new (not NOS) recently - A Scoundrel from SelectHobbies, and a Pat Tritle Bamboo Bomber (Cexxna UC-78, Songbird), which is not like me because I am cheap(!) I have been scooping up kits from eBay and Craigslist. In a lot of cases I find an old kit I like but after buying it find one all built, covered, with an engine for not a lot of money.

Get my balsa from HobbyLobby, Michaels and AC Moore, now, not the local hobby shop : (
There is a HobbyLobby pretty much next to my local supermarket so I bring up the 40% off coupon on my phone and go in and buy one piece a day. They're onto me - ha.

I like group build challenges to motivate me - not that I hit many deadlines, these days.

Also, outerzone is a fave site of mine - paging thru over 7,000 scanned plans.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 PM
born2build

I also have been hoarding kits: Sig Ryan STA, Pica Bucker Jungmeister, Ace Staudacher S-300, Sterling Waco SRE, Sig Kadet Senior, several from Dumas, a couple from Steven's Aero, and a few I can't remember off hand. That oughtta keep me off the bar stools for awhile! I am also working on a ( don't shoot me) H9 Christen Eagle II. Sorry, but it's just too darn pretty. and it's just the right size for my Supertigre G90. Besides, I would never attempt that 9-color scheme myself! Hey it's my hobby (money) so I can do what I want! lol
Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to believe this thread is still going, if a guy could get a following like this on his build there might be more web builders sharing the wealth.

As far as where have they gone, well many have passed away, others have just quite the sight builds and are still building, other words the holes are not being filled by new builders. One might get the idea that ARF's are king, just look at the following of putting a plane together, "hey man, I'm building an ARF", and they come like ducks to water.

Fact is it's a fun and rewarding hobby, more so for the builders, not much pride in a ARF but probably just as much fun. It's all about having fun and doing something the whole family can do together if they choose or just hang out with the guys flying and chewing the rag. "What a life".

LG
Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Leroy! Hard to believe there's still this many of us around?

Yeah, we're hard to get rid of, thankfully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.