Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:48 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Nice setup, looks similar to mine, though I like your wing rack better than what I have.

It gets hauled around by this.

Nice trailer ! I certainly like your tow vehicle more than I do, mine.

The wing rack is mounted on hinges. This allows it to lay flat against the wall, if necessary.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I can top all you guys on the cars and bikes !

Current main car Corrola, my bike ..street legal Honda trail 70 with a 125 cc 4 speed. Favorite car from past? 89 Dodge commercial caravan.. long wheel base, 2.5 motor,4 speed manual... Bought it new The only options were a passenger seat and a window in the sliding side door....Still miss that thing ! 396,000 miles of hauling me and all my hobby stuff.. rc Airplanes, bikes,sailboards, snowboards ,kayaks ..ah to be young and skinny again.

When they lifted that van off of a trailer with a claw, and ran it thru a grinder right in front of me.. I swear I choked up !
It was a good friend for 18 years.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks, just got it back from the body shop yesterday after smacking a deer @ 60 MPH. Had a 2016 F150 rental, and did not like it anywhere near as much as the one I have. They may have made the cabin 2" wider, but they put a larger console and door panels in, so you actually have less room in the front seats.

I may steal your idea for the wing racks, looks more convenient than what I currently have, which is to stand them on end and strap them to the wall. It works, but to get to one, you need to unstrap them all. Considering that the big plane on the floor has such wide wings, that was the only way I could think of doing it and have room to move around.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom & Tom, Didn't mean to bail out on you guys with the automobile nostalgia fun we were having, but yesterday I had go down into the model airplane hanger and get busy fixing all the airplanes that didn't work right last Sunday (no time for the internet). I got them all done, test run and on the chargers by late last night. I then spent all day today until dusk flying everything in the trailer. 100% successful on fixing the faults from last Sunday and a great flying day in the Georgia sun (and wind ). Between 1:00 PM and 8:00 PM our group flew 20-25 different planes ranging size from a 20 size Cub to a 1/4 scale Cub, some war birds, some edges and extras, a Cherokee, a trainer, a great mix of nice model aircraft, some fast, some slow, but all fun,fun,fun. Some arrived in trailers, some came in vans, and some came in the trunk of a car. It didn't matter what you flew or how you got it there we all enjoyed each other's planes and friendship. That's model aviation. I hope your weekend flying went as well for you.

Last edited by 52larry52; 04-10-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Pleased to report that the maiden of the SLEC Fun Fly was successful. It was a bit windy so I flew the ARTF Stick 1500 first as I don't really mind if I crash that one!I managed quite a long flight with a landing on the 10 metre wide runway, however, I clipped the prop on landing and filed a few millimetres off one of the blades. Then I faffed about watching others fly, thought about flying the Gemini instead, thought about not flying the Fun Fly but finally decided that I was a competent enough pilot so off I went.

The take off didn't go in the direction I'd planned but I soon got hold of it. It required a fair bit of up trim and a small amount of left aileron but after that I just flew it about on low rates most of the time. Loops, rolls, immelmans, (immelmen?) even a Cuban Eight, then I decided to quite while I was ahead. I brought her in somewhat hesitantly and on finals I heard Fabrice, the club's treasurer, who had just arrived, shout out, "Sur la piste!...Sur la piste!" which means, "On the runway!" I'm pleased to say that I put her down on the runway, without clipping the prop and taxied her back to me. It was not my best landing ever but it was a maiden flight and there was no damage; better than some of Fabrice's later landings with his Goldberg Piper Cub! Then I flew the Gemini and managed to land that on the piste, again, it was not a perfect landing but I'm still getting used to this model too.

I got Roger to take a couple of pictures of your humble servant posing with the model in my NCB suit which matches the colour of the model! I'm going for a haircut and beardtrim on Tuesday. I may even dispense with the winter whiskers, they make me look like a badger or a homeless person!

Perhaps I'll opt for an aviator's moustache.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Great report, congratulations. The SLEC looks great. Interesting you mention and comment about your appearance. I've got this old ratty, stained, shabby looking baseball style cap that I wear not caring what anybody thinks about it. So to me, you look fiine.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:37 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by 52larry52
Tom & Tom, Didn't mean to bail out on you guys with the automobile nostalgia fun we were having, but yesterday I had go down into the model airplane hanger and get busy fixing all the airplanes that didn't work right last Sunday (no time for the internet). I got them all done, test run and on the chargers by late last night. I then spent all day today until dusk flying everything in the trailer. 100% successful on fixing the faults from last Sunday and a great flying day in the Georgia sun (and wind ). Between 1:00 PM and 8:00 PM our group flew 20-25 different planes ranging size from a 20 size Cub to a 1/4 scale Cub, some war birds, some edges and extras, a Cherokee, a trainer, a great mix of nice model aircraft, some fast, some slow, but all fun,fun,fun. Some arrived in trailers, some came in vans, and some came in the trunk of a car. It didn't matter what you flew or how you got it there we all enjoyed each other's planes and friendship. That's model aviation. I hope your weekend flying went as well for you.
I spent most of the weekend in the shop, too.

I've been adding panel lines and rivets to my Luscombe. I hope to have her ready to paint, soon.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:39 PM
acdii

I spent my weekend on other things. Saturday was spent in a CCL class and then at the range qualifying. 30 out of 30 in the 9 ring or better at all distances. Not bad for only my second time pulling a trigger in over 30 years. Then Sunday was spent cleaning house. Was hoping to get more of my P-47 built so I can get it done and back on the Biper to get it done and flown before June. Going to work on the Citabria tomorrow night, its at the engine mounting stage.

Its funny no where on the plans, other than the wing, are there servos. I guess, installing the radio gear, you just have to *wing* it.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:21 AM
TomCrump

Many plans don't include the RX and servo installation. After a while, you get used to planning for things on your own. Most of the time, it's no big deal.

I'm sure that you will be fine.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

At the flying field last Sunday, when I maidened the Fun Fly, Roger Aubard, the club's leading pilot, said that he had a model, a Nieuport 17, he'd like to give me. I had seen the fuselage in his workshop in the past and I wasn't sure what scale it was. I went round to pick it up yesterday.

It turns out that it isn't a Nieuport after all. It's a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel!!!

It will take me years to build it and as I have other projects to complete first, it will be some time before I can get started on it, however, I'm flattered that Roger thinks that my building skills are good enough for such an advanced model.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Capt. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guille2006
Well; I'm still here and struggling to put my little insdustry on it's legs.
I guess that if people/modellers realise how good it feels "to see flying what I built"; they'd turn off the TV more often for REAL building more...
Sadly, many persons says "I built" when they just put together 3 parts of and ARF; but as said here and in many other threads: It's the current Modelling landscape.
Cheers; G.

PS: BTW: I don't even have TV
I still feel good seeing something flying that I built from a bunch of pieces of wood. I enjoy the building part still and have been building kits for 45 years now. As to the turn off the TV part, I have a TV in my workroom connected to cable and the internet so I can build and watch shows my wife doesn't care for or marathon watching of Star Trek on Netflix.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bill another great building friend is all the old radio shows online.. they can be downloaded onto who knows how many tech items now. I have been listening more and more to the old radio shows..I am surprised at how good some of them are.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Bill another great building friend is all the old radio shows online.. they can be downloaded onto who knows how many tech items now. I have been listening more and more to the old radio shows..I am surprised at how good some of them are.

I love listening to them too they can be very enjoyable And you don't need to take you eyes off the parts you are making or airplane you are building.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to like the honda mr 50 , to a bultaco that i loved , the honda elsenor was a fast little bike too
Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well I made a discovery I was looking for laser cut short kit that I can't afford and ended up here: http://www.kitcutters.com/
According to the website "The Business is for Sale". They had quit taking orders several years ago and finally made it official. Anyone here tempted to go into business?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM
acdii

Wow, did not expect that, but not surprised. Whatever the MSM tells you, the economy is not as good as they claim. Those who believe it is are delusional. With the current choice for president, sales nationally are going down as people are reluctant to spend money since the future is unknown. Bad state of affairs it is.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Wow, did not expect that, but not surprised. Whatever the MSM tells you, the economy is not as good as they claim. Those who believe it is are delusional. With the current choice for president, sales nationally are going down as people are reluctant to spend money since the future is unknown. Bad state of affairs it is.
Reading the information on the site it looks like they had orders they just weren't up to filling them. Maybe the current owner has health, etc issues that never resolved to the point production could continue so he's throwing in the towel.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
acdii

Could be, or both. I looked into starting up something like that, and the outlay for lumber alone was prohibitive. Even if I cut my own, it is still very costly.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

I worked with Joe Leach with Indiana Laser Cutting and he usually didn't order wood unless he had orders to cut. It really is an uphill battle.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Not totally. Many are so used to paying cheap prices for stuff made overseas that they don't want to fork over the money for something made domestically. I'd rather pay the extra for something done right than take a chance with something that might not survive the first flight
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Capt. Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady laser cut kit a few years back. While the pieces were perfectly cut, some of the ribs were too long and had to be trimmed. Probably they were not correctly transferred from the plans.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Not totally. Many are so used to paying cheap prices for stuff made overseas that they don't want to fork over the money for something made domestically. I'd rather pay the extra for something done right than take a chance with something that might not survive the first flight
I work for a retailer, and sales have been soft this year over the past two years, which is a sign that things aren't as good as they say it is. This is why I said what I did, there are probably many reasons for they guy getting out of it, but seeing behind the scenes, I can tell you first hand that sales all over are slumping.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I've worked retail in the past as well and have seen how people react to changing prices, not well. I've also seen what happened when one local retailer changed his business model to selling only products manufactured in the US. His business literally dried up as he was told by customers he had no right to charge the highly inflated prices for stuff that they could get cheaper elsewhere just because the products were supposedly made in the US.
As far as people not wanting to spend, the wife and I just took a two week trip to Hawaii, flying over and taking a cruise ship back. Both the plane to Honolulu and the cruise ship home were sold out, not something you would expect in a soft economy.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think the economy is spotty, you have areas doing great, areas that are lat, and areas just plain horrible then you get into geological locations that through another wrench in the mix.. The overall economy is made up of a number of smaller specialized economies and locations so the overall statistics don't make a lot of sense or seem to apply to some economy areas and locations. In Oklahoma we dodged a lot of the downturn because oil was up for so long. However, with oil dropping like a rock of late we are now playing catch up. We are having budget shortfalls and small producers are cutting way back or shutting down. This morning Sandridge a major player in gas production filed bankrupcy.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM
acdii

^^ What he said^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.