Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF LustreKote Paint and clear coat compatibility??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF LustreKote Paint and clear coat compatibility??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 PM
bushong572
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TF LustreKote Paint and clear coat compatibility??

I've painted some fiberglass parts with TF LustreKote paint, I need to spray them with a flat clear coat. I don't have the TF clear, but I do have a flat clear in regular spray paint (not water based).
Any idea if they would be compatible?
This is for a gas powered airplane.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LK is lacquer, trust me, don't use anything besides another lacquer or bad things will happen. Also, not all lacquer is fuel proof. LK is fuel proof up to 15% nitro and at that you want to let it cure for about two weeks before you fly the plane. Just buy another can of LK. I have a couple cans in my shop that I use to balance props so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 AM
bushong572

That's what I was afraid of.................thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Scratchie

The solvents in Lustercoat will reach down to the very first coat of primer, and will find any incompatible paint, primer, sealer.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by Scratchie
The solvents in Lustercoat will reach down to the very first coat of primer, and will find any incompatible paint, primer, sealer.
As I said, bad things will happen. In my photo file there is a shot of a nice looking CG Extra I built for a friend. I masked off the glass cowl and did it to match the three colors of the covering. That LK paint acted like paint remover. Bubbled up the other paint and peeled it off. I'm not a big fan of the LK anyway, drippy runny crap but at least most the time it is a pretty good match for mono covering, I did have a huge problem matching the Cub Yellow. The quality control was really off when they blended that color. I bought paint from three different batches/stores and not one was a match. One can was a nice pumpkin orange??
Old 01-27-2015, 01:36 PM
bushong572

Thanks for the replies........it sounds like I better wait until I can find the correct LK
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Gray Beard

LK paint is found in most hobby shops or you can order it from Tower. I'm lucky with 4 hobby shops in my area and three of them are within a couple blocks of each other. I know Hobby People is a west coast shop but you may have a hobby town someplace near you, they both stock LK paint.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:27 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dope, Sig sanding sealer, and the like are compatible. LK primer, LK color, LK clear, is the only order in which this crap that'll work. I did two models in it, it fades, cracks, and is unreliable. It's as bad and unreliable as Aero Gloss. Don't use it for anything you really like.
The Staggerwing cracked in about a year, the clear has tiny craks all over it top and bottom (not visible in the photo because it was new when I took it). It's a static model for my dad so I wanted it to stay really nice. Too bad, cracked anyway. It's never been outside for more than a few minutes.
The Tigercat was a flyer, the fuel wasn't too hard on it, but the color faded and striped unevenly, and spraying from one day to another produced different colors. It's crap, and the spray heads have a ball pattern so no help there. The propellent freezes if you get too greedy and want to paint the whole component at one time, and the pressure needed to press the nozzle makes my old mechanic hands hurt. I had nerve damage for a while afterward. Maybe it's good for tagging, or general vandalism. The AMA Museum could be tagged with it for their move towards quad copters, perhaps?
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Staggerwing 2.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	2069455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tigercat 1.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	2069456  
Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntflyr
Dope, Sig sanding sealer, and the like are compatible. LK primer, LK color, LK clear, is the only order in which this crap that'll work. I did two models in it, it fades, cracks, and is unreliable. It's as bad and unreliable as Aero Gloss. Don't use it for anything you really like.
The Staggerwing cracked in about a year, the clear has tiny craks all over it top and bottom (not visible in the photo because it was new when I took it). It's a static model for my dad so I wanted it to stay really nice. Too bad, cracked anyway. It's never been outside for more than a few minutes.
The Tigercat was a flyer, the fuel wasn't too hard on it, but the color faded and striped unevenly, and spraying from one day to another produced different colors. It's crap, and the spray heads have a ball pattern so no help there. The propellent freezes if you get too greedy and want to paint the whole component at one time, and the pressure needed to press the nozzle makes my old mechanic hands hurt. I had nerve damage for a while afterward. Maybe it's good for tagging, or general vandalism. The AMA Museum could be tagged with it for their move towards quad copters, perhaps?
Chris...

What surface were you painting on ? Those problems shouldn't exist with Lustrkote.

.I've painted fiberglass, plastic and metal parts with Lustrekote, This was over automotive primer, not Lustrkote primer.. The paint job is 15 years old, and still looks good. No noticeable fading, cracking, etc. The model is pictured below.

Many paint problems are due to poor surface preparation, or due to using the wrong paint for the job. I'm not saying that this is what you encountered, but it is something to consider.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF1945.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2069567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15155.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	2069568