Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

best cub kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

best cub kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:09 AM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best cub kit?

what's the best cub kit (90" WS or bigger) out there?

scale outline is important but ease of building is my number one priority. I don't wanna pay 200 bucks for a box of sticks.

Does the Balsa USA (1/4) build faster than the Sig since their new updates? I've built a sig citabria and it was a pain in the rear.
I ve heard the great planes 60 size kit is a breeze but isn't very scale. really want to stay around 25% scale though.

thanks....
Old 01-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: best cub kit?

ORIGINAL: icrashbipes

what's the best cub kit (90" WS or bigger) out there?

scale outline is important but ease of building is my number one priority. I don't wanna pay 200 bucks for a box of sticks.

Does the Balsa USA (1/4) build faster than the Sig since their new updates? I've built a sig citabria and it was a pain in the rear.
I ve heard the great planes 60 size kit is a breeze but isn't very scale. really want to stay around 25% scale though.

thanks....
The BUSA is the best quarter scale version out there (for scale outline) But if you don't want to build a model, I guess you need to be looking at something like the Dave Patrick ARF. The reason that I suggest that is the BUSA kit is a big old box of sticks.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-07-2007, 07:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The GP Cub 60 builds easier than the BUSA and Sig kits. The scale outline of the GP kit is not as accurate, but it still looks like a Cub.

The model flies well with a 91 four stroke, at 13 pounds.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 AM
TomCrump

My GP Cub 60
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30329.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	592649  
Old 01-07-2007, 07:52 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

If you enjoy building, which I do, then the Sig 1/4 scale is a goldmine. Lots of parts and building to do. My kit had good wood selection and I have saws and sanders from my plans built projects. This kit is a lot of work to build, but as I said that' why I do it. To me less parts equals less kit! Thanks to Sig for keeping this kit available.
JEB
Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Mode One

Stickbuilder, I don't see where Icrashbipes is saying he doesn't want to build a kit, only that he wants an easier kit to build. I'm so glad to see people wanting to build kits and I want to do everything I can to promote this aspect of R/C!

The Great Planes .60 sized Cub kit builds a plane that is between 1/5th and 1/4th scale. As far as it's scale appearence is concerened, it is close enough that unless you really know Cubs and are a nit-picker for detail, it'is Cub enough! Detail can certainly be added, to make it even more scale.

However, if as you say, you want to stay with 1/4th scale, all that comes readily to my mind are the Balsa USA and Sig kits. I hve no experiance with these particular kits, but have build both manufacturers models and thought both were good. The SIG J-3 is the more scale of the two. Balsa USA readily admitts they change things in the name of ease of build and increase in flyability

Now, if you really would like to build an ARF, Dave Patrick's Cub is an option. However, I believe he offers a PA- 18 Super Cub and not
the J-3.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Tom,
I really like the looks of a Cub with wheel pants.
Don't see them too often.
There was a full scale version that came with them called a "Cub Sport".
Here's a site with pix.
http://www.dipple.com/Default.aspx?tabid=503
Makes it look... well..."Sporty"!

JLK
Old 01-07-2007, 08:33 AM
TomCrump

Thanks for the info.
ORIGINAL: jlkonn

Tom,
I really like the looks of a Cub with wheel pants.
Don't see them too often.
There was a full scale version that came with them called a "Cub Sport".
Here's a site with pix.
http://www.dipple.com/Default.aspx?tabid=503
Makes it look... well..."Sporty"!

JLK
Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Sig 1/4 scale Clipped wing,
The plane was a joy to build if you like building. I have built the Goldberg, Great Planes and Sig Cub. The Sig is definitely more work but it pays of with a great looking and flying airplane. Here is a link to my build thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2708451/mpage_1/key_Sig%2Cscale%2CClipped%2Cwing%2Ccub/tm.htm]Sig 1/4 Scale C/W Cub[/link] I made some modifications to the kit and aslo there are links there for some great tips.
Anthony

Name:	Ge96588.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	592710  
Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the BUSA or Sig kit. Trade-offs to make either way, you have to decide what means more to you.

The Sig has the more scale outline, as pointed out above, but I think the scale suffers due to the wing attach method. Sig's wing builds in two pieces of unequal length; the cabin roof, or wing center section, is part of one wing half and the wing has its join seam at one side of the cabin roof where the wing root is. The wing attaches to the fuse with wing bolts down through the top of the center section, and are visible when the plane is assembled. Wing struts are not functional, I believe.

The BUSA Cub builds with the wing center section as part of the fuselage, and the wings "plug in" to the sides of the cabin roof, and the wing bolts fasten from inside the cabin, hiding them. Struts are functional. To access the wing bolts, the opening door/window is built functional. On the Sig it isn't necessary, because the top of the fuse is open.

I've compared the plans of both planes, and there is very little profile difference between them. I think the difference in how they build makes a bigger difference if you plan to modify it (such as an L-4 conversion). I think the BUSA lends itself better to mods, because of the wing attach method, which is truer to the prototype.

Another kit to look at, although it is smaller than what you want (but not much), is the 1/5 scale Sig Cub (84.5 " wing). Wheras the 1/4 Sig has been out a while, it is a die-cut kit, the 1/5 is newly engineered and is all laser cut. The outline and proportions are spot-on scale, and the wing attachment is like the BUSA, except it has a wing joiner tube system and the struts are definitely functional. I am unsure why they used a tube joiner system like they did, usually when a tube is used, it passes through the cabin as one piece to lend extra stiffness and rigidity, and would make the struts non-load supporting. Sig uses a two piece tube on this plane and clearly states that the struts must be used for flight. When I built mine, I added a second wing bolt to each wing half, with another alignment pin, and ommitted the wing tube altogether, mainly because of the L-4 conversion, because I didn't want it visible through the greenhouse.The opening door/window is included on this model as part of the plan and structure.

As far as ease of build, I don't think you could find a better kit. All the parts fit snugly together and fit perfectly WITHOUT sanding (the manual even recommends against sanding the parts for fit). The lower portion of the fuse is a "trussed box" which is very rigid, but light, and the top part has more traditional former/stringer construction. The vertical stab blends perfectly with the fuse because they are covered as one piece (no seam where the vert stab plugs in).

One other thing to consider is that the 1/5 is cheaper to power. It's not really large enough to put a gasoline engine in, though, if that's what you want then 1/4 scale is the way to go. Enjoy the build, and enjoy flying it, no matter how you go, a Cub is hard to beat.

Name:	Hf98687.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	592746   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45628.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	592747  
Old 01-07-2007, 01:37 PM
icrashbipes

yeah, I looked at the 1/5 scale sig as well. Just not quite the size I'm looking for. I fly only gas now and other than the BME super tiger 90 conversion, there are not any gas options for this size plane.

I'm familiar with older sig kits and just didn't want to put myself through another die cut stick build again

Im also familiar with the dave patrick cub and thought of getting one for a while but decided my cub should be built and I have never built one so...

...here I am

Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
icrashbipes

i just went back and took a second look at the sig 1/5. man, the price is right for sure. and it looks like a kit that has been designed in this century.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

I still have a saito 100 that I haven't gotten listed on ebay yet...
I wish OS still made the 120 twin.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM
icrashbipes

anybody know anything about the old PILOT 1/4 scale kit?

there is one on ebay selling in 7hrs.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM
southernlifttruck41

I like the bud nolsen 1/3 scale J3.....Mine has a 110 in wingspan and flys on a G23
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
icrashbipes

I KNOW the bud nosen kits are a boxes of sticks, I built the citabria. thought I'd never get finished.

ORIGINAL: southernlifttruck41

I like the bud nolsen 1/3 scale J3.....Mine has a 110 in wingspan and flys on a G23
Old 11-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Karp050555

BUSA Cub is great but if you just want to fly and not build get a 1/4 scale Cub from World Models. Check out my build thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ith-camel.html
Old 11-27-2014, 04:57 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Sig.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:15 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMR has a very nice 1/3 scale Cub kit.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Karp050555

I saw their stuff at the WRAM show. It looks good. I'd love to build one of those monster sticks one day. It's a shame there's not more kits being marketed these days.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

My son and I fly a BUSA J3. I am currently building another one as a Super Cub. We organized a J3 Cub fly at an event one year. We had 5 large cubs in the air. My son 14 at the time led the pack in some very scale circuits (proud dad here) after the second circuit he slowed it down, right down. Halfway through the 3rd circuit the other cubs had to speed up, a Hangar 9 ARF fell out of the sky. BUSA's design is great. Just a hair above the others ;-)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Karp050555

Here's my Stinson L-5 before and after the flight. It was fun while it lasted.

Name:	20140705_162346.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	2050529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140706_133541.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	2050530  
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the Balsa USA Cub, never got the covering before I was talked out of it by another modeler. Nothing in the build that's too fiddly or difficult, pretty straight forward.

Rich.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.paoloseverin.it for the ultimate kit! Can't go wrong with BalsaUSA or SIG, IMHO. Bill Hemple has some nice arf ones. They are probably the best arfs in the business!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Karp050555

Hey U Guiz! Come check out my latest rebuild thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...l#post11969109
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

OLD thread, however, reading through it, the OP dismissed the SIG 1/5th due to no gas engines. Saito makes them now that will power the 1/5th with ease. The FG-14 will pull it around and keep it up there for an hour. I have the 1/5th with a Saito 100 on it, fantastic building plane, liked it so much I got another one yesterday, though this one will have a second wing on it(yeah I AM that crazy). I have an OS 70 laying around, but if I come across a twin of the right size it will go on instead(or an FG-14 if I win some money).

Or I might sell my DA-100 and CARF Extra 300 and get some more engines from Saito, I am really liking that FG-11 I have in a SIG T-Clips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.