Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a competitive scale kit to compete at scale compititions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a competitive scale kit to compete at scale compititions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building a competitive scale kit to compete at scale compititions

So this has come up quite a bit as builders start to build a kit so they can compete in scale compatitions. I am hoping that we can start a conversation about competitive kit building, how to and experiences of former builders/ competitors of scale planesand even judges.

I am getting ready to start competing and will gain some experience this year by going to our local scall masters qualifier.

My plan is to concentrait on one plane, the P-47 D-25 I have built three

The kit of my choice will be a Meister P-47 as I am working on my resurch and I will start with the modle P-47 D-25 then chose the scheme.

I am starting with a modified TFGS P-47 RTC and compete in the sports scale ARF division to gain expieriance.

Most just go to fun flys and fly ins but this is not competitive, to win best of show, or pilots choice is not the same as competing in a scale masters event.

So I am looking for a conversation about building scale kits. I know that the judging can be confusing and I understand that one will be replicating a spicific full scale plane with documentation. Also flying is a big part of competing.

so if you have cometeted and have something to share or if you are interested in competing and building spicificly for compitition, please share.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2083653   Click image for larger version

Views:	191
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2083654  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 03-23-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There are a couple of things you will need to do that I can think of off the top of my head:
1) Be sure to have photo documentation of the actual plane you are modelling. Nothing shows a judge you're serious like photographic proof of an actual prototype
2) Add as much detail as possible. Smoke stains from the guns and exhaust are a good start. Panel lines, rivets and other details will raise your score as well, just be sure that the end results don't look "thrown on". What will lower your score is having a plane that looks like everyone else's so whatever you can do to make your plane stand out will help
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM
TonyBuilder

Thanks, so fare my scheme is Angie as it has a lot of history and there is also a lot of librity as this plane is well documented with veriouse diferent paint colors as parts were swapped out, so one wing can have a drab wing and the other would bu bare aluminum, or one flap can have invasion strips and the rest of the wing has none.

I was was told by a former scale master competitor that you can't be competitive if you go to scale as the judges can't see your rivets and panle lines if they are not done in a way that makes them visible, like using 1/32" chart tape instead of 1/64", and no vinyl rivets, but I disagree and will present the most scale plane I can and let the cards fall where they fall.

TB

Views:	109
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2083704   Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	2083705  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 03-23-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've judged a few scale contests so I'll give you some tips:

1. Don't stand right in front of the judges during the flight. If we can't see your plane, no way we're gonna be able to score the flight.

2. If you use retracts, flaps, or whatever as an option, make sure they work really well to get a "10". I watched a guy try to non chalontly (sp) swat a retract back up into the wheel well when it wouldn't retract all the way on it's own. Hard to give a decent score for that but real easy to give a 9 or 10 if they work like they should.

3. Fly the plane the way it should be flown as a full scale. Hot rods shouldn't putt putt around the sky.

4. Make sure your documentation is clear and understandable. Let your wife judge it prior to the event. If I remember correctly, you will be judged on outline, color and markings, and craftsmanship. Have a seperate section in the documentation for each. . Color chips are fine for colors, photos may or may not be as good.

5. Ask questions of the judges about your scores. What you did wrong, how to improve, ect. We always answered. Sometimes they didn't like what we told the contestants. You will want to wait for inbetween rounds and certainly well after static judging is complete to do this. I'm not sure if other clubs would answer questions.

6. Don't try and score brownie points with the judges.

7. Don't put a bunch of erroneous infomation in your documention package. It will only confuse the judges.

8. Describe how you are going to perform any stunts in your flight plan prior to the flight if the plane has to do them in an odd way to make it. IOW, if you have a J3 cub and you want to do a loop, tell the judges you will have to dive to get up a good head of steam first before you pull her over. Think "flying in a prototypical manner".

9. Practice, practice, practice. Many scale guys are fantastic builders but they don't put any time into flying. Hard to do if you're in the shop all the time.

10. You mentioned kits for scale competetion. No problem there except you have to watch out for deviations from scale that the kit manufacturer took poetic license with in order for the plane to fly better. The outline might be off a mile. That's a big thing to consider when choosing a kit (or even plans) prior to getting into it.

Carl
Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM
TonyBuilder

Thanks for the info, this is what I am looking to hear.

I would think that the documentation is not needed in the sports scale division (ARF) as my plane is bashed a little.

I have heard that flying plays a big part and a better pilot will win over a better builder, I'm a better pilot then a builder so I think I will do ok.

TB
Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you fly in the fun scale class you will get an extra 5 points or so if you have a picture of the plane to show as documentation. Not much is required. For sport scale, a full documentation package is necessary, otherwise you won't have a chance.

carl
Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toni, if your seriously contemplating competition my first advice would be to toss what you want out the window. The above mentioned advice about the details is exactly the type of things you will need to adhere to in order to compete. Building for competition is about the judges, as much if not more, than the subject and or you.

It is my understanding that one starts the judging process with a perfect score and all the judges do is take away points for things they see different than in the documentation photos. Also, in regards to documentation, the photos you provide must be consistent from one to another, of the same time/period frame.

I am sure you are aware of my Pitts that I am finishing up, it is a build for competition. There were many things about the build that I would have liked, initially, to have done differently. But due to my conversations with master builders and judges from all the local events I realized those things had to be in, in order to compete.
As Carl has mentioned, practice a routine until you can do it with your eyes shut, with a similar airframe. Choose a spotter that can assist you in maintaining that pattern as well as relaying it to the judges during your flight.
You can also download the requirements from most events to be more aware of that events specific requirements.

Last edited by acerc; 03-28-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 AM
TonyBuilder

Hi guys, I need some advise. I am planning on compeating next month at Bomber field in a scale masters qualifier, fun scale beginner class, what ever the bigginer class is. I will only have a picture and description of my model for documentation to prove it is a real world prototype.

I dont have time to really work out a rutine for the flying portion as I just maidened the plane and only have about 6 test flights in. Had a dead stick and some minor damage that I am repairing and should have her ready to fly by next week. This only leaves one weekend to make sure all is good so not going to get in some practice.

My my goal is to just qualify for the championship in October. Is there a minimum flight time to score a passing grad? I am going over a basic rutine in my head and will practice that this weekend with another plane.

If im not mistaken the maditory maneuvers are 1. Takeoff, I got that she track very well and I can keep her on the ground as long as I want befor I rotate, gear up once I lift off and before the turn out. I am over powered so I need to watch my speed, mostly at 1/4 to 1/3 stick does the trick.

One lape at medium altitude then into a figure eight (2 maneuver). Then another lape into a low pass at 10-20' then one dirty pass and land. She lands good, I haven't tried flaps yet and haven't needed them but I know they are reqiered. I will see on the test flights. If push comes to shove I won't use them and take the hit.

Anyways just looking for some advice for my first try at compeating.

Thanks

TB

Views:	112
Size:	587.7 KB
ID:	2109455   Click image for larger version

Views:	89
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	2109456   Click image for larger version

Views:	92
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	2109457   Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2109458   Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	2109459   Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2109460   Click image for larger version

Views:	83
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	2109461   Click image for larger version

Views:	110
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2109462  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 07-16-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The one thing you should do first is to download and read/understand the section of the rule book for the organisation/competition you wish to enter. Though most of the competitions are very similar there are slight differences. Carefully read the appropriate rule book and figure out at what level you will enjoy competing at. Look at the flying requirements, documentation and the quality that your model needs to be at. Determine where your best fit is.

Once you have determined your comfort level you should gather all your documentation as required for the level of competition you will be entering.

Construct your model to the best of your ability and as close to the documentation that you can. One thing that has been mentioned are color chips. At one time for them to be valid they must be from a recognised source. Frank Tiano used to sell some. I purchased mine years ago and still use them today.
To score well in flying the judges expect you to fly your model in such a manner that best shows the flight envelope of the aircraft. Optional manouvers considered below the flight envelope of the model will usually not score as well as the more complex ones.

I usually have two complete routines with calling cards. One is for perfect weather, low steady winds right down the runway. The second is for gusty, strong winds, cross winds less than ideal flying conditions. The maneuvers of each card are picked for my ability to fly them in those conditions.

Practice, practice, practice all the time it’s better than boring holes in the sky.

Make sure your engine runs well and starts every time you don’t want to have any problems when the timer starts for your flight. Nothing frazzles you worse than to have a balky engine right at the beginning of your flight.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MISTAKES YOU WILL MAKE!!!!!!!!! Everyone makes them that is how you learn.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on scale documentation http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/Tutori...gYourModel.pdf

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 07-16-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Above all else, have a frickin good time :-D

I love competing, actually I am gearing up to compete this weekend myself in the BC Scale Classic. My son and I have plaques all over the wall. His are all 1st place LOL. Remember, we are competing against ourselves. Each competition we strive to do better than the last utilizing what we have learned from the past.

Enjoy
Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread idea!

My little input. Don't forget your friends!

One of my flying buddies competes often and really enjoys flying a PT-19. His last one was lost and he decided the next would be a Aviation Concepts kit. He is an amazing builder but didn't have the equipment to turn some faux wheel brakes. I was honored he asked me for assistance since I knew how nice of a plane they would end up on.

I worked really hard on the parts, as I am no master at the lathe. I just have some DIY knowledge and a small collection of Sherline brand lathe / mill stuff.

A couple weekends and I created the parts, as best I could.

I was really happy when I gave them to him and he ran all over the field sharing them with the other guys. The wheels are Robart aluminum wheels and the struts are also Robart.

I made a spacer / mount for the axle which centered the wheel and tire with the struts main shaft. The I made the faux brake. The entire brake assembly attaches to the wheel axle with a set screw and stays stationary. There is about 1/32 clearance between the brake and the wheel. I also made the outer covers out of some aluminum.

I made the parts for free and the enjoyment he got out of them was payment enough.

The plane has not flown yet but I believe it just needs final adjustments and balancing.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	IMG_4854.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2109604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5810.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2109605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5812.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2109606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5897.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2109607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Brake 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	878.5 KB
ID:	2109608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Brake 3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2109609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner Brake Done 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	982.5 KB
ID:	2109610   Click image for larger version

Name:	PT19.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2109611  

Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 AM
TonyBuilder

So this weekend I competed for the first time (ever) at the Scale Masters qualifer.
I learned a lot about this type of competition from the different classes and the reqierments.

I was in the Pro/AM sportsman novice division as were 80% of the pilots this time.

In Pro/AM sportsman novice and Pro you are only flying, no static at qualifiers. There were a lot of ARF and some kit builds. This division is staked with flyers so the flying is good, but most were first time competitors and don't have scale flying expieriance.

Static judging was for export only. The judging was stiff and most got lower scores then they usually get, but they were on point in my opinion.

these are the two export entries.
This plane was scratch built and in the team division. Very detailed and great craftsmanship, but got hit on color and finish, to new and shinny.

This one was a CARF P-47 with a Moki 250
it got hit on the lack of details as it is an ARF no additional rivets and surface details were added.

Both flew very well and got 100 if not in the high 90s as you could tell they had there routines down.

As in any competition you have to go with what you are given.We had a 90 degree cross the whole time, about 8-10 coming at us. I normally won't fly in a direct cross but it's go time and you either pack up and go home or go for it, I went for it.

I qulified and and will be going to the championship in October. Everyone qulified that did not crash out, if you fly and do well you will qualify. It will be much tougher at the championships. But even if you don't go to the championships it is a great expieriance to compete at a local qualifier.

TB

Views:	81
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	2112638   Click image for larger version

Views:	81
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2112644   Click image for larger version

Views:	75
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	2112645   Click image for larger version

Views:	52
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2112646   Click image for larger version

Views:	75
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2112647   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2112648   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2112649  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 08-03-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:12 AM
Propworn

Great stuff, good for you and best of all it sounds like you had a great time. Now I wonder if you will look at your daily flying a bit different. I know I did instead of just boring holes in the sky I started to fly each flight as I would my routine. Practice, practice, practice.

It’s funny but almost all of the competitions I have flown the wind very rarely lines up with the runway. I usually have two routines, one for those days with the wind light right down the runway or calm and the second routine for those less than ideal flying conditions, strong winds, gusty conditions or crosswinds. I pick maneuvers for those nice days that really show off the model I'm flying and for those less than ideal days’ maneuvers that may be less challenging but are easier to keep on track with the weather conditions. I Laminate these two cards and use them for my practice sessions each time I go out. I always bring extra paper versions of my call sheets to the competitions and will often make a new one up as needed substituting maneuvers from both cards because depending on weather conditions I always attempt to fly the maneuvers that best show the flight envelope of the model for the present weather conditions.

Dennis
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
TonyBuilder

Yes Dennis, I am looking at flying in a whole different way now. Just watching the export class fly one can see the diferance in scale flying. Most of us noob pro/am sportsman are just that, sports flyers and this division is staked with really skilled pilots, but lack the scale skills.
I want to move to the expert class as there is more of a chance for me as a builder, and soon to be a better pilot.

I only have two months to get ready so any plane I fly will be practicing my routine, never going to just bore holes again.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

TB
Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Wagon1

I'm still years away from competing (I can build 'em, but I'm a below average pilot), but while this thread is fresh I'll ask......

Can you swap a scale prop with a flying prop after the static scoring? Also, can you change out a very detailed torpedo (or bomb) after static scoring with one you intend to drop?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:47 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by Wagon1
I'm still years away from competing (I can build 'em, but I'm a below average pilot), but while this thread is fresh I'll ask......

Can you swap a scale prop with a flying prop after the static scoring? Also, can you change out a very detailed torpedo (or bomb) after static scoring with one you intend to drop?
Yes on the prop. I use a useless bela 4blade for static and then a 2blade for flying. As to the bombs I don't see why not.

TB
Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations Tony Builder. There are still being questions ask that are defined in the rules.
Take an hour or so and read this, it will help tremendously and it is all very useful information if you plan to compete in an AMA event. Scale Masters does have some variations to these rules so it is good to read those too.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016RCScale.pdf
http://www.usscalemasters.org/forums...etails;lid=135
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Wagon1

Don't wait until you think your ready enter any of the Fun Fly levels use an ARF if you have one. It gives you a chance to observe first hand. Ask a a lot of questions and your learning curve will accelerate tremendously. Don't take yourself to seriously enter to have fun, learn and make some new friends.

I know most rule books will allow a static prop for judging and allow you to swap it out for a flight prop. Beyond that you are expected to fly it as presented to the static judges.

That being said the judges and CD have a certain amount of leeway in what they can allow. A lot of this will depend on the level you are competing at. The higher the level the more stringently they stick to the letter of the rules.

I was part of a world championships and when the judges changed the direction of the flight line to compensate for a change in wind direction everyone who flew before lodged a challenge and wanted to fly over again. The competition stopped. The judges conferred and the challenge was denied.

A control line competitor who was in first place throughout the competition and had used a non recognized maneuver as part of his routine was challenged after the last flight. The maneuver was disallowed which knocked him to fourth or fifth place. He had a multi engine Antonov the prototype which was capable of backing up under its own power. He could reverse the props on his model and also back his up. The second place guy had allowed him to use this maneuver without objecting until the last flight which gave the poor guy no chance to recover. It cost the guy the world championships that year.

Be prepared to drop those bombs if required, bring a less detailed set if they allow you to swap them out or don’t drop them pick a different maneuver. You have to be able to adapt to all kinds of situations there is no next week.

As a scale competitor I can tell you that you can believe you have thought of everything and the darnedest thing will crop up out of the blue.

Dennis
Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It is my understanding that it is permissable to swap out external stores such as bombs so long as the replacements are of the same size, shape, and color. (Same for static spinners / prop hubs.) They do not have to be as detailed but must be the same otherwise. Please take note that external stores can only be used during static judging if they are shown on the scale drawings or photos that you are using for the outline portion of your documentation.