Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

worst kit youve ever built

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

worst kit youve ever built

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am about halfway through a Ziroli Stuka I got from National balsa. It is pretty much perfect. It is so nice when you have a well cut kit, how quickly the build goes. So anyone needing a cutter, you can trust them.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I am about halfway through a Ziroli Stuka I got from National balsa. It is pretty much perfect. It is so nice when you have a well cut kit, how quickly the build goes. So anyone needing a cutter, you can trust them.
I was wondering about them. I saw the Hostetler RV4 on their website. I really like that plane. I am thinking
about buying the plans this year at Joe Nall.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midwest extra
Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 AM
vertical grimmace

I think given the fact that National is a balsa supplier, they may be better positioned to provide good material.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM
DJR18045
My Feedback: (2)

Anything by Sterling. Die CRUNCHED parts that didnt fit anyway. One piece so soft it almost melted, the next piece similar as hard as oak.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As to the Nosen trainer, the idea of a 102 inch wing and a 13 pound airframe being held together by rubber bands is crazy. And the body is all balsa planking with no inside framework. Lots of changes have been made, I hope that helps with the flying part. Time will tell.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
dgxco1
My Feedback: (11)

Anything sold by Hobby King
Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Actually my worst kit worked out because it was a good practice build...an A&A Industries Citabria.....after cutting a bunch of sticks with the miter box and wetting, bending, and gluing it into an airframe over the plans...I started wondering where the heck the "kit" was in the box.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Scott Douglas

There used to be a company in the UK called Aerotech (no relation to the US Company). Every kit was a balsa crutch with veneer foam panels... except nothing actually fitted. The other really scary thing was I had a Sukhoi SU26m and my friend had a B25...the instructions supplied were almost identical!

By the time I'd got the foam to match the balsa/ply inner structure it looked no more like a Sukhoi than I do.... scrapped it.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM
hsukaria

No die cutting in my youth days. I lived overseas for a while and built some old kits (CL and FF). I don't remember the brands. But the balsa came with the parts outlines printed and you had to cut them yourself. They also included square balse blocks that you had to carve out to shape as nose cones. A couple of CL kits came with thick balsa sheets for wings and you had to carve and sand the airfoil yourself!!! I still liked them, I didn't know any better.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I remember some of those kits. It was like, "Take these blocks of wood and carve and shape to resemble this final outcome, which should look like a model."
Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The worst R/C kit I ever built was a Greatplanes PT-E. The design was pretty good, but the quality of the wood and Die crunching left a lot to be desired. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it if I hadn't just built a Herr Cloud Ranger the week before. It was the first laser cut kit i had ever built and the wood was all top quality and perfect for each application. As far as all kit's in general go, I had a love hate relationship with Guillows free flighters before I started building R/C. Hated the wood, hated the way the parts fit(or didn't fit), hated how heavy yet delicate every one came out, loved that I could get them at the local drugstore for less than $5.

Last edited by skyrat71; 04-17-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by skyrat71
The worst R/C kit I ever built was a Greatplanes PT-E. The design was pretty good, but the quality of the wood and Die crunching left a lot to be desired. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it if I hadn't just built a Herr Cloud Ranger the week before. It was the first laser cut kit i had ever built and the wood was all top quality and the perfect for each application. As far as all kit's in general go, I had a love hate relationship with Guillows free flighters before I started building R/C. Hated the wood, hated the way the parts fit(or didn't fit), hated how heavy yet delicate every one came out, loved that I could get them at the local drugstore for less than $5.

If interested, you may want to check out Alien Aircraft if you are not familiar. It is Herr's new company and he has some cool kits. And they are of great quality. I built the little Gadget biplane. I put lights on it and it is my night flier!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
hsukaria

If interested, you may want to check out Alien Aircraft if you are not familiar. It is Herr's new company and he has some cool kits. And they are of great quality. I built the little Gadget biplane. I put lights on it and it is my night flier!
The website says that Tom Herr is retiring and no longer will sell any kits. Bummer, nice planes.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 PM
vertical grimmace

That is a drag! He just released 2 great models. I wanted to grab one of those Arrowmasters. I guess it was pretty much a copy of the original. That is too bad.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
Sig Kwik build "Mustang" Profile fuse with plastic fuse shells. Ugghh.. Gave it away.
Thought it was just me. That model was a joke. I traded mine for a Super Kaos .60/kit and a Rossi .60.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
For the same reason they want big bucks for Royal/Marutaka kits, nostalgia. While the Royal kits may have been marginally better in quality I don't recall them being particularly well thought of when they were readily available. Most folks thought they were an over priced and over weight box of balsa blocks! Now that they are no longer in production they command three and four times their retail price or more!

Man ain't that the truth!!! We used to joke about the Royal kits, here's a box of balsa blocks, time to carve a plane out of them.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Did I mention that the Great Planes 60 size Cub was a P.O.S.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A&A Industries .40 sized Citabra....old old Bud Nosen kit.....lot of sticks and few instructions...but it flew well.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
Did I mention that the Great Planes 60 size Cub was a P.O.S.
I still have a GP 60 CUB in my collection of CUBs and while it is a very long way from my favorite plane, it wasn't that bad of a kit. Yes some of the die cuttling left a lot to be desired but it was far from the worst kit I ever built. Several old Goldberg kits still reign at the top of that list for me.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started building when I was a young kid. I built a lot of Sterling's kits and thought they were good kits. Then I starting building Veco kits and learned that Sterling kits really sucked compared to the Veco kits. Everything since has been a piece of cake to build.

I have built some Royal kits. They really don't seem to be kits, but a box of blocks. However, the parts that were cut were all router cut and worked quite well.

Frank
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Smashmaster

I have enjoyed most of the obstacles that were in the kits I have put together.
While this one might not exactly qualify,because it was listed as an ARF,and was also a foamie.
It made me cuss and grimace more than a lot of the more complicated kits I have put together.
It made up for both of those qualifications in the P.O.S. department.
My vote goes to theeeeeeee

GREAT PLANES FLATOUT
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 AM
vertical grimmace

The worst modern kit as I have said was this PCK TA 152. I have persevered though, and will get a maiden on it this weekend. It was a long road!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TA 152 assembled.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	2099397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ta152 3.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2099398  
Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

The worst modern kit as I have said was this PCK TA 152. I have persevered though, and will get a maiden on it this weekend. It was a long road!
Lot of problems eh? Sorry to hear that but the final result looks great! Hope the maiden goes well for you.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

I have to say the Global Sky Raider was one of the worst that I built. Had to buy almost the cost of the kit in balsa to get it together. Nothing fit at all.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.