Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Searching info for the Pilot Pitts S-2A 1/3 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Searching info for the Pilot Pitts S-2A 1/3 scale

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 AM
pacomb

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Searching info for the Pilot Pitts S-2A 1/3 scale

Hello all, I have found a local shop that has one unit of the original Pilot Kit for the pitts s2a 1/3 scale model. I dont find much information on this kit. Looks like Pilot made several size kits, the 1/3, and a smaller one.

The shop is asking 350 eur for the kit, which I dont know if it´s ok, or too much. But I suppose that for a vintage kit, and a plane size of 69", it sounds ok more or less.

I love building kits and I buy old kits from time to time, for when I have time. I have already found a royal stuka and a royal mustang. Currently finishing a carl goldberg ultimate kit, and flying a medium-small Kyosho pitts s2a with a .46 engine size. The 1/3 pitts would be a great step in my biplane love!! bigger than that, is too much for me and my circumstances.

I have found the scaned plans for this plane.

What I would like to know is if someone has already done this kit, flying characteristics, etc....

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1630
Old 05-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Outzone has the free plans for it. I did a quick search using the search engine but there is a lot of crap in the way of the Pitts before you find anything. I was looking to see if there was a build thread but after several pages I gave it up. There are a lot more pages if you want to do the search.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am no expert on this Kit.. but wouldn't the wing span be much bigger on a 1/3 rd version of a S2a ? I was thinking its quite a bit larger than the one man Pitts.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:51 AM
pacomb

Hello Gray

If I search for Pitts on the outerzone web, I will only get the following: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...?keyword=PITTS

Only plans, no build thread...

Hope someone can give more info on this plane kit

regards
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Gray Beard

Well, that is a plans site and not a building site so you won't locate a build thread there. By using the search engine here you may locate a build thread or two. I looked but there are pages of crap you need to weed through to find what you want. Give it a try yourself and you may do better then I did but I only skimmed.
In the plans/scratch and CAD forum several years ago a fellow CAD drew the plans for the Pitts and offered them for free to download. I recall because I was still in my bipe stage back then and burnt a copy of the plans.
Scratch and Plans building may be a better place for you to go searching. A lot of us got those plans but I don't go into that forum often so don't know if anyone did a build thread on the plane or not.
There are several of us that build from plans in the kit forum but you don't see too many plans builds here. I do a few but not often.
Some years ago several of the guys from RCU did a group build of the pitts, each guy only doing one section of the build. It went on and on then finally disappeared with time. It got finished and was fantastic, that may help you a lot?
The search engine is your friend. Give it a try.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:13 PM
pacomb

Hello Gray, I have spent almost an hour searching the scratch subforum for a post taking about the pilot 1/3 model, and I was not lucky. Also could not find that file you mentioned with the traced parts. So I have placed a new post asking for help. Maybe someone still has that file and can help??? let see

The group build was for a larger pitts, with a 100cc engine, that is big!!!

What I need is people having actually build my exact kit.

Regards, Paco
Old 06-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Gray Beard

I wish you luck but the Pitts has been made in everything from peanut size to huge. Finding the exact plane from the same plans in a build thread isn't going to be easy.
Perhaps you can also check sites like scale builder.
I don't understand why the need for the exact build from the same plans. A build thread skips around from item to item with a lot left out. We don't do the threads like a set of instructions from SIG or Great Planes or take photos of every step, just the basics.
Until a few years ago M.A.N. plans tossed in a set of copies of the original magazine build with Zerox photos you couldn't see. They were a little help on a few tricky steps sometimes but not often.
Today instructions with plans is unheard of. Plans builders do the build and make things up as they go along. The plans show the parts so you can cut the kit then your on your own without instructions.
I wish you a lot of luck. I know I have the plans for the Pitts on Disc and it may be in a file on my other puter? It's just plans though but CAD drawn so all the parts will fit perfectly. As I recall the fellow did build a couple of proto types for testing but I don't recall a build thread on them.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:06 AM
pacomb

Hello Gray

for me the important thing is not finding a build thread. Of course, finding a good build thread of the 1/3 Pilot Pitts is always helpful in any case.

My problem is that the kit I bought, is not complete, The kit belongs to a client of the shop, the client told the shop it was new, and the shop sold it to me as new. When I opened it, I saw some parts already made, and missing parts, like all the formers. I took the kit to the shop and they will check it to see exactly what is missing and speak with the owner. Of course I would like to keep the kit, but I will definitely ask for an important price reduction. I could also ask for a total refund. That is why I was asking if someone had already traced the important parts of this Pilot kit, so in case I keep the kit, it will be easier for me to reproduce them. I think that just all the metal parts, the cowl, and all the plastic canopies, etc, is well worth some money.

I know the pitts is a plane that has been reproduced many times, but I though the Pilot Kits would have had a lot of diffusion, and therefore, many people from this forum would have had made this specific 1/3 model
The following users liked this post:
AndreS12 (08-23-2022)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Gray Beard

OK, got ya. I used the URL you posted in #1 and went to outerzone and typed in Pitts S-2 and the plans and description came up. The plans are from the original Pilot kit so you should already have the plans. Back in the good old days they had all the parts shown in profile, this kit has that feature so you already have the templates for the needed parts. I can't enlarge the plans though but it looks like the formers are shown in half. This was also normal. If you have the plans then you just make two copies of the parts you need, cut them on the center line and tape them together to get the template.
Some of the old plans also only show one wing half. Back in the day we just built the half shown then flipped the blue prints over, wiped them down with mineral oil and the lines came through the back side to give you the other wing half.
I make a lot of copies on my printer to get the templates but I also have the plans copied at Kinko's, I don't know what you have in Spain but I'm sure you have a copy center or print shop that can make big copies if you need a set of full plans. I used to always have two copies on my plans made, cut one up for templates and build over the other and keep the originals. These days I don't bother and just use my scanner and build over the original plans.
outzone also had a review from a builder. He stated there was a slight size problem with the ribs, nothing serious but it was mentioned. I think it had his name on the review. You can do a search and see if you can locate him on some of the RC sites to see if he did a build thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 AM
pacomb

I am slowly progressing....

I have discovered a photo on a corean web site, that shows the original kit and I can clearly see that the kit contained a parts sheet with traced parts, also a building booklet with images, and of course the stickers.....

As well, I have discovered an incredible brasilian thread, not with the construction its self, but the scale making, with an incredible attention to detail. You need to see this!

http://www.elciomodel.com/tudo/traba...itts_lucas.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot kit.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	2100225  
Old 09-29-2015, 12:03 PM
pacomb

Hello, I have managed to find the image build sequence plan for the pitts. i have scanned it, and send it to the admin of outerzone, to include it along with the fuselage and wing plans. Still searching for the parts plans, hope someone can one day share it!!!
The following users liked this post:
AndreS12 (08-23-2022)