Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How old was you when...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How old was you when...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM
FlyWheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LL! I was waiting for someone to point that out! Unfortunately it is impossible to edit the thread titles on this board.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was 1958, I was 8 years old and heard a strange noise coming from the school yard. It was a guy flying a blue C/L airplane. I was hooked and built my first airplane. It was a Sterling Ring Master with a McCoy Red Head. The finished plane looked like crap, but it was beautiful in my eyes. The same guy taught me how to fly it.

Frank
Old 06-28-2015, 03:46 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My first flying model was a stick and tissue cub(ish) FF kit in the early 70's. My first R/C kit was a 66?inch span Tiger Moth by Premier? in about 1988. I built 4 other kits before finishing that Tiggie
Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In 1958 I was nine years old and could not take my eyes off my friend's older brother's silk covered glider. This was in England, and the glider had a box frame fuselage with a compartment for lead shot ballast in the nose. I went to the hobby shop, bought a bunch of sticks, and built a crude smaller version of it from scratch and memory. I had to have that ballast box, and I still have it. The glider worked fine tossing it around the park. We had a shop class where I learned to make chuck gliders from scratch. Then I bought a series of Keil Kraft rubber band model kits, but none of them flew. A few years later back home in Iowa I started building control line kits and had a lot of fun with them, when I was about 13-14. Also built a towline glider from magazine plans, and an RC Schoolboy with S/N escapement when I was 16. Many years before I returned to the hobby. Still love those old designs.

Jim
Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto, I built it on our ping pong table in the basement with no building board or any real tools other than an exacto, and used my moms iron to put on the new covering material called MonoKote. Burned a few holes in it trying to shrink it. Knew absolutely nothing about building or flying but I knew it was the coolest thing I had seen and I just had to have one.Been thinking about buying another one just for old time sake and making it electric, if I can find one that is reasonable in price.
Originally Posted by DavidAgar
My first kit was a Goldberg Falcon 56. That was in 1971 and I had zero experience at building.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Started building stick and tissue when I was about 7 in the mid 70's, Built my 1st R/C plane when I was 22. My 1st R/C build was a Goldberg Cub.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was just thinking about this topic the other day and saw this thread, after making several attempts at stick and tissue models in the late 60's not very good attempts might I add, I built the Goldberg .049 control line series between 1971-74 and really caught the bug for model building and flying.
at 14 I was throwing papers after school for my first RC plane a Falcon 56 it had a Kraft 4ch radio and a K&B 35, I had a bunch of fun with that plane but as kids do lost interest. only to rediscover my love of building over 10 years ago glad I got back into it its such a great hobby.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first kit was a MODELHOB scale rubber Focke Wulf 190 in 1976. I was 12 and built it together with my late father when he came back from weekly bussiness trips and I enjoyed that time with him!.

We had no experience and model didnīt even flew as we oversparyed it looking for a good finish thus making the FW-190 too heavy.

Our first succesfull joint venture was 2 or 3 years later when we built a RC trainer and I had gained some experience building Control Line models during summer holidays.

Last edited by jescardin; 07-06-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

My first kit was a Carl Goldberg Eagle 2. I got it the christmas before my 6th birthday and flew it the following march. 25 years later, still obsessed lol
Old 07-12-2015, 02:13 PM
marmalade1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 36. I'd bought a few 2nd hand planes of Craigslist and a few ARF's too. First build was a Sig 4 Star 40 with Saito 56 (perfect combination). Easy build. Seemed slow, but that's because I'd not done a scale bird at that point. Great fun. A great way to enjoy RC planes when you can't fly.

PD.