Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4 star 20 cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4 star 20 cowl

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:10 AM
goose_wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 star 20 cowl

I'm currently building a 4 star 20 and had a question of opinion. The supplied cowl looks a little odd to me and thought of making a stand off ( very far off ) scale radial engine around the brushless motor. I also thought of making it a open cockpit. I'm kinda going for a more nostalgic look. I know the covering is far from perfect but i had a lot of fun with it. I am up for any ideas or criticism. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	852.3 KB
ID:	2111201   Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	2111202  
Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

goose, In the second photo, is that actually the cowl Sig supplied or is it an old epoxy mixing cup ? In other words, I agree it is a little strange. So yes, find a round cowl that will fit, paint it blue to match the trim color, fabricate some mounts and go for it. Converting to an open cockpit will go along with the classic trim style and the round cowl. An old timey pilot in the cockpit will be a must. I would also add a gauge panel and a head rest behind the pilot's head on the turtle deck flat face, and of course a windscreen. Have fun and make the changes as you see fit. BTY, from here your covering job looks great! An easy way to make an open cockpit wind screen would be to just cut the existing canopy WAY DOWN to just a screen in front of the pilot. The bottom of the canopy already fits the fuselage shape so all you would do is reshape the upper area and mount it. 4 stars are nice flyers, you're going to enjoy this one.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 PM
goose_wrench

Thanks for the ideas and the compliments. I will post some pics of the changes as soon as i get back in town. A round cowl might be a lot easier than a open radial engine.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM
goose_wrench

Here are a few pics of my progress. Like i said the engine is stand off scale. It also came out bigger than it should be but i am going with it. The prop is just for show.

Views:	79
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2112339   Click image for larger version

Views:	51
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2112340   Click image for larger version

Views:	53
Size:	675.2 KB
ID:	2112341   Click image for larger version

Views:	57
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2112342  
Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM
goose_wrench

Here's a couple more pictures of the progress

Views:	53
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2112790   Click image for larger version

Views:	56
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2112791  
Old 08-08-2015, 08:47 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I think you will enjoy your Four Star. I wore out a couple of them. I learned to do flat spins with the forty size version. I always did like blue and cream colored airplanes. For details look to the rubber powered builders. They have a lot of tricks that give the impression of scale without adding much weight. You can give the cockpit the appearance of depth by gluing in a piece of black wet or dry sand paper. Just cut a piece out and see how it looks. Good job on the motor.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:46 AM
goose_wrench

I had a piece of trim sheet left from another build that i used for the cockpit. I will definitely try the sandpaper on my next build which iam already starting to look for. Here are some more pics. I also have a quick question. Can i replace the battery leads on my speed controller with some that are a couple of inches longer if i use the same type and gauge of wire.

Views:	66
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2113561   Click image for larger version

Views:	56
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2113562  
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have some of the blue trim left you could cut out some "NX" numbers for a 1930'S look. As to replacing the leads it sounds like you are talking about removing the existing leads. If you are good at soldering things to circuit boards then yes, it is doable. That said, it may not be necessary. Supposing that you are only going with a relatively short addition it would be easier to solder up an extension. A couple of inches of the same size or one gauge size larger wire with good quality connectors on each end is no big deal. I fly a Parkzone plane with a similar size motor and I use a three inch extension to adapt a battery with different from stock connector and I have not noticed any difference in performance or operating temps. If you are operating the controller out at its limits or running really long additions to the leads then you may want to think about the electrical aspects aspects of any additions. When the wires get long the ohms add up.I added a picture of my Fourstar 60.

Name:	4-60.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	2113871  
Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
goose_wrench

Matt your four star looks awesome. I only need about 3 inches added to the leads so i will try a extension. My amperage draw is about in the middle of the speed controller range. I have started going all electric due to limited time i get to fly. But i still think it is easier to install a fuel tank and lines than to cram a battery and speed controller and leave enough room for cooling. For me anyway. Thanks for the idea of the NX numbers. That's what i love about this hobby. I always learn something new.