Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Stiks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:02 PM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiks.

Good day all. Is anyone still kitting a .40 to .90 sized Stik? I know AMR has several from 84" on up. Their smallest is still larger than I'm looking for. Looking for a fun winter project. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:44 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to try a scratchbuild, there are many option available. As for kits, sorry, I cannot help you out there.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's such a simple plane to cut your own kit it's easier to just buy the plans from someone like M.A.N. airage. so many different styles to choose from. For kits your going to have to look in the market places or on line shopping.http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...oyal&Submit=Go
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was amazed to see that Great Planes no longer offers their two.

If you're not totally set on a Stik, and just want a relatively easy build, they do still offer the Goldberg Tiger 2, which is about as outstanding a sport model as ever flew.

If you want a complex, PITA build that produces a really neat flyer, Tower still offers the Contender.

But if your heart is set on a Stik; well, good luck. I imagine you can find one on eBay, but it will likely be tagged as "rare" or vintage" and carry a larcenous price tag.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Gray Beard

8 different plans for the Ugly Stick on outerzone in different sizes. all free downloads.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM
shleprock

I may have to consider a plans build. That would give me an excuse to buy that band saw I've been wanting. Any other easy builds that are high wing? My first build so go easy on me! Maybe a Cub or Decathalon. I find it a bit sad that nobody kits a classic like the Stik in a glow sized plane.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Gray Beard

High wing?? Well the Cub is still kitted and sold buy SIG, Tower and someone else has a kit? Tower also has the .25 size Taylor craft too, a big little plane! For an easy kit then you want to look at the Tower Up-Roar kit and the Dazzler. Both are more or less the same plane. Shoulder or mid wing planes but very easy to build and fly and both are stunt planes. Really only Fun Fly planes but the Roar comes up on sale for only $40.00 or $50.00 when at full price. If you look at it you will notice it is pretty much a shoulder wing Stick. Just a box fuse. The Dazzler is almost the same plane with a deck.
Rick Stubbs has a long running Tower Up-Roar build thread in the kit building forum. At the back of the thread are a lot of photos of the Roars the guys built over the years.
Rick and I scratch built ours, he built three at one time and I just built the one, my ninth one. All you really need to scratch build is a cheap scroll saw and a sander but don't tell your wife. When I first started doing it all I had was razor blades but the tools make things easier.
All plans building is, if you look at the plans on the site I showed you will see all the parts needed are shown in profile. Those are the templates. Your just going to cut the kit yourself then assemble it without the instructions like in a kit you would buy.
In the case of the Up-Roar the parts are shown in profile on the plans and it comes with instructions that have nice photos to show you how it looks as you build the plane.
Want an easy kit and plane then the Roar may be for you. Mine is shown in my gallery and on Ricks thread.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM
ratshooter

If you are looking for a shoulder wing sport model you might look at the Sig Mid Star 40 or the Sig Something Extra kits. The Great Planes Easy Sport is only available as an ARF now but kits can be found. I have a kit in my attic now I bought off Ebay a while back. And cutting your own kit for a Stik is easy. Sweet Stik plans are listed on Ebay. The one I bought I had scaled up slightly and built my Stik. Here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F (2).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2116724   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2116725  

Last edited by ratshooter; 08-25-2015 at 02:59 PM.