Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to get Throw even ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to get Throw even ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM
jayd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get Throw even ?

How do you get the throw on rudder or elevator equal in both directions ?
I must be missing something! I start by turning the radio on with trims set at mid way neutral to get servos rest position, then adjust the surface to be neutral.
What do you do from there ? IE. Lets say the side that gets pushed always moves farther than the pulled side. And in this model the push rods cross per the plans if that makes any difference?

Thanks
Jayd
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you set the servo end points in the transmitter for each channel in question? You can set the end points to any value you want.

Good mechanical setup can also go a long ways towards equal surface deflection if the end points are set at equal values.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:01 PM
jayd3

Thanks for the Reply

No I have not and will have to look into how or if my old pre computer radio(s) will do it ? I think the best one I have Futaba 6FGK does but I don't think the Futaba Conquest, Ace and Airtronics Vangard do.
I do know the 6FGK has adjustments labeled D R in the compartment where you reverse servos and I suspect that is what you mean. let me see if I can find manuals. Checked the 6FGK manual and DR is for dual rates affect and does nothing when in normal mode, there was nothing about servo end points
I'm thinking at least my old radios don't have servo end point settings.
Other wise it's understanding and changing the geometry of things.

I fly Recycle Air: junkyard dogs nothing new mostly recycled or NOS, This plane is a 1969 Lou Andrews A Ray with a modified ( wrong ) wing so no ailerons but last time flown 20+ years ago it flew like a bird glides for miles.

Thanks
Jayd

Last edited by jayd3; 09-15-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: new info
Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM
jayd3

The only thing in mechanical set up that varies from the plans is the rudder horn is backwards from the plans cause I don't have the left or right horn I need to turn it, in other words the clevis is reaching over the long side of the triangle however there is no binding ( limiting by clevis hitting slope of horn) and the problem is with the pulled direction. But do not the holes remain the same distance no matter which way the horn is turned ? so does it matter ? If so I'm not seeing it
Thanks
Jayd
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The holes in the control horn must be directly over (@ 90 degrees) from the pivot slot (the "crack" between the fixed and movable part of the flight surface be it rudder, elevator, or aileron). If it is either forward or rearward of the slot you won't get equal movement up and down, or left and right if it's the rudder. If the holes in the control horn are not lined up with the pivot point of the control surface, reposition the horn so they are. On the servo end, center the trim on the TX and move the servo arm to a spot on the drive splines where the arm is 90 degrees from the servo long ways (replace the arm if it's been cut and it won't line up with the remaining arms). Now adjust your linkage to fit the servo end and the control horn end(with the control surface held in the neutral position). You will now get equal movement in both directions (+ or - 1/16" ). Only thing left to do is move the clevis up or down on the control horn and/or servo arm to find the hole that gives you the closest to the desired amount of total movement you seek.

Last edited by 52larry52; 09-15-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 AM
jayd3

Thanks Larry
I thing I need to get a left right set of horns and use the correct one like shown on plans so I can get a better alignment, the universal Sulivan horns I have just don't let me do that.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
ma_mulcahy

jayd3, can you post a picture of the horn? I am having a hard time visualizing your description.

All the control horns I have can be used on the left or right side of the control surface. To get good geometry for equal throws, I strive to install the horn so that the holes for the clevis are at a perfect 90 degrees to the hinge line.