Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet MkII build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet MkII build

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:38 PM
KenChoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike! I don't know why I suddenly remembered this concept, but it was fun to try it out. :-)

Jim,

That's a fair concern about the receiver shifting, but the rubber band friction holding it in place is substantial. Although this is my first go with this system, I feel fairly confident about its security based on how it feels in my hands. If I do encounter any issues I will share them here (it'll be easy enough to change out to a more conventional foam rubber mount).

Tom,

I hear you...we all have our own preferences for sure...it's an experiment for me (based on other people's experience).

cheers,
Ken

Last edited by KenChoo; 10-12-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

OK. I should at least state why I don't like the rubber band mount you describe. Model airplanes vibrate and with the rubber bands I feel it will only magnify the vibration. Servo wires going into the rx will be under greater stress trying to keep up with the vibrations and could come loose. Also, rubber bands only last so long and need to be replaced regularly. If you do use that method, keep an eye on it.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Your plane looks great!
One thing I would do is turn your exhaust pipe down. As it is you are going to be spraying oil over that beautiful wing. There should be a nut at the front or rear of the muffler. Loosen that and you can change the orientation of the exhaust pipe. Keeps the plane cleaner.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 AM
Jim Aires

Hi Ken

You have done a great job. Well done ;-) I imagine she has flown by now?
You might be surprised to know but someone has offered to give me a Sig Kadet kit but only if I put it on the table and build it.
Not sure if to take it yet as I have a lot of old classic kits sitting in spare room but must say I am tempted to build it for a bit of easy flying model. Plus they do look nice and I would have to do like you and paint in original scheme. ;-)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Aires
Hi Ken

You might be surprised to know but someone has offered to give me a Sig Kadet kit but only if I put it on the table and build it.
Not sure if to take it yet as I have a lot of old classic kits sitting in spare room but must say I am tempted to build it for a bit of easy flying model. Plus they do look nice and I would have to do like you and paint in original scheme. ;-)
A SIG Kadet would be hard for me to turn down regardless of strings.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:11 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Aires
Hi Ken

I'm with Mike - any Kadet would be hard to turn down. I only wish you were just a bit closer (like, NOT completely around the other side of the planet), I'd build it in a minute.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'm with Mike - any Kadet would be hard to turn down. I only wish you were just a bit closer (like, NOT completely around the other side of the planet), I'd build it in a minute.
Maybe we should offer to pay postage? ;-)

Anyone else have a problem the last few days with RCU no longer sending notifications?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Jim Aires

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Thanks for the offer skylark flier. Yeah we're a bit isolated down here (or round here) lol.
If your at a loose end with time to spare you know where it is ;-)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I saw the posts on mounting the receiver with rubber bands and although I am not old enough to remember it personally (almost), it gave me a chuckle because it reminded me of the mountings for the early vacuum tube receivers. For myself I usually mount receivers with industrial strength velcro. You have to use the industrial grade. The adhesive on the back is really strong and the more vibration it experiences the stronger it holds. Warnings are; don't mount the velcro on anything too fragile and make sure that you can get a grip on whatever you mount. The grip strength of the velcro may exceed the structural strength of some lightweight structures and if you can't get a good grip on whatever you have mounted it can be really difficult to remove.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 PM
KenChoo

Hi everyone,

Pardon the lull, but I've finally maidened the Kadet MkII more than a year after the completion of the build. :-) Maiden went well, and the OS 35AX is plenty of power! It flies nicely, and lands oh so beautifully! I did make two small changes to the "build" as it were-I went back to a more traditional velcro mounting of the receiver, and I installed 3/32" lite ply pieces at the trailing edge of the wing where the rubber bands run, to prevent crushing of the balsa (this is suggested in the manual too, btw).

I wanted to add how impressed I am with the covering...18 months in storage, a day out in the sun and I've not had to take an iron to it - not a single wrinkle or loose seam. Paint seems to be holding up well too :-)

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited by KenChoo; 03-21-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Adding comments
Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Tom Nied

I think those are good changes
Old 03-21-2018, 04:40 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice plane! Congrats on a successful maiden!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Covering stayed great! Now remind me what covering did you use? I remember the brushed on paint part but I've slept since then.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Solartex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks, that was what I thought but oldtimer's disease has invaded my memory causing premature senior moments.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
JeremyCRF

Hey ken.

Completly new to anything RC I also started a kadet mark ii build November 21 2016 lol. Yes two years ago. I’d really like to thank you for this thread as it’s been my go to for any what if or doubts as there has been many durning this insane project I’ve comited my self to lol. Wish I stumbled acrossed it soon I might say but I just wanted to let you know how beneficial it’s been for me. Thanks again and you’ve build an awesome plane!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

I enjoyed your build and glad to see you finally were able to maiden your Kadet Ken
Old 03-08-2020, 05:05 PM
carrierp

Default Been years since I built. Any simple cheats or advice for a newbie for Kadet Mark II?

First one worked, just didn't know how to fly it. Second one (several years later) I had no spare parts in the box.

It has been YEARS. Any standard advice on construction that will save me grief?

Also, saw a .46 gasoline engine (2 stroke). Is that too big/too heavy for this? (I forget what it's called, but it's about the only one in .46 with gasoline...

Thanks for any tips. The discussion about the dyhedral was helpful- I'll keep it in the mix for more forgiving flying as I learn.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:19 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Carrierp, if you build a kadet light enough you can power it with a .25 engine which I did in 1978!. It was first real RC airplane and that's why I have one in the box to build in the next year or two! My mentor use to say a kadet will land it self and i thought he was bs me but when i saw him lay his transmitter on the ground and it did just that. The mk2 seems to have wood tips instead of the plastic one that came with my first one! To me this is and still is the best RC trainer!
Michael Johnston
Old 03-09-2020, 09:14 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by carrierp
First one worked, just didn't know how to fly it. Second one (several years later) I had no spare parts in the box.

It has been YEARS. Any standard advice on construction that will save me grief?

Also, saw a .46 gasoline engine (2 stroke). Is that too big/too heavy for this? (I forget what it's called, but it's about the only one in .46 with gasoline...

Thanks for any tips. The discussion about the dyhedral was helpful- I'll keep it in the mix for more forgiving flying as I learn.
As Michael Johnston points out below you can fly the Kadet on as little as a .25 engine. The flip side is that it will fly just fine on anything in the .40 to .50 range. If a .46 is what you have on hand it should be just fine. The main point is that you just need to make sure that it balances according to the plans. A lot of times a .46 engine is based on a .40 case so the usually don't weigh much more. The one caveat is that especially with trainer type models, you can over power them to the point where they become difficult to fly. I've seen people hang a .60 on a .40 size trainer but then end up never going past half throttle because the plane didn't handle well at high speeds.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, I agree with most of that. My Kadet Senior needed almost 3 ounces of nose weight to make it balance. But I only had a Thunder Tiger GP .42 on it, a fairly light engine. I wish at the time I had a Thunder Tiger Pro .46, a bit heavier and significantly more power. I think that would have been a better match. But, last year I pulled it out my 20 y/o Sig Kadet Senior with it's Thunder Tiger GP .42, fired it up, and it cruises just fine on a day that is not too windy. I'm not going to change it.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:04 PM
combat0311

Default Sig Kadet mark 2 build

Guys,

I have a Sig Kadet Mark 2 that I am going to start building, you guys still around for advice?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-15-2023, 07:14 PM
Tom Nied

Sure. I recently gave away my Kadet Senior. But the Mark 2 is also good. What engine/motor are you putting into it?
Old 10-15-2023, 07:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

You can't beat a Kadet!
Old 10-15-2023, 08:07 PM
combat0311

Guys,

My name is Tom Mitchell, I built a great planes PT-40 back around 2003, just had to cover it and I was going to join the Cleveland Ohio RC club but went through a divorce and had to sell everything. I was riding my 02 Roadking on 90 West heading towards Sandusky Ohio, when I passed a farm where people were flying planes, not sure if it is a club or just the owner of the farm. When I got home, I went to Great Planes website and also the Sig website, and it appears they are going out of business or going out of business, everything was sold out, I bought a Kadet Mark 2 and then got an OS 35AX engine.

I hope I am not late to the party; it appears all the companies I dealt with in 2003 are no longer in business, I was going to stop at Al's train and Hobby in Bedford Ohio this weekend, but it appears he has retired.

I read through KenChoo's build, I will be starting my build is a few weeks and just seeing if people are still out there to help.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by combat0311; 10-15-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.