Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit building

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit building

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:19 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
They're not too bad, but you have to pay attention.

I find the wood codes hard to delineate, as are some of the parts. All the info is there, but I, at least, have to study the plans well before I commit to glue.

the kit cutters make some mods, on their own. No big deal, but you have to recognize that they may cut one part, when two parts are shown.

I enjoy Hostetler designs. I may gripe about them once in awhile, but they are enjoyable builds.

If Wendell didn't produce his plans, there would be a large void in what is available to the scale builder.

If you like the Skybolt and Liberty Sport, go for it. There are plenty, here, that can offer advice if needed.
Building straight from plans can be tricky. Certainly another step up from kits. Even when you get your parts cut. I have found it is easier to design, draw and scratch your own, than deciphering someone else's plans. But that is the challenge we face at times. We do not always have the time to design our own plans. Not sure when I would get to another build, as my queue is full, but it would be fun to have a big Skybolt.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've designed just one airframe. It was easier than building from plans, but it was a simple box structure. It didn't require any complex parts.

In the pics, the blue airframe is my Ryan Brougham, which is me lone adventure into designing.

The other pics are the Hostetler Luscombe Silvaire, in various stages of construction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_011 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	2143378   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	2143379   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	2143380   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_010.jpg
Size:	556.4 KB
ID:	2143381  
Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't look so much for specific kits as I do a bargain. I prefer to build from plans but if I can get a kit that I'm interested in for a really cheap price, I'll buy it. Kit prices are all over the place and some of the ones being touted as collectors items are just regular production kits or plans are available to build from anyway.

carl
Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by RWHorton
I have a couple of Hergett 152's ready to fly, they were the bees knees in combat. Thank to Steve for putting out some great flying planes.

That is a good looking TA 152. Still have my TF 190d-9. There is a fellow modeler somewhere in Europe that is making a 1/5 190d-9, really looking hard at that for my next build or maybe a Mokie power Navy plane.

Too bad WBOTR is in September, it is really hard for me to get down there that time of year.

Ron
Ron, I would like to mention that we host a fun warbird event at our club, Love-air in August. If you can make it down then that would be great. It is just relaxed with a lot of flying. Not as big as the WBOTR.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

August is a much better time, send me some details. [email protected]

I have been trying to finish my TF GS P-47. Need a welder to build a header system for the engine and a few electronic parts. Other than that it's done.

Ron

Name:	DSC00215.JPG
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	2143518  
Old 01-26-2016, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have several kits I would love to have and I have seen a few of them but at prices I just couldn't afford. The kits I list after are:

SIG Ryan STA - you see this one from time to time and I did get a very reasonable offer to sell me one from another forum member but I just don't have the cash

Top Flite Arrow II and Bonanza - These two kits can be found from time to time but the price is way too rich for my pocketbook.

VK Models DR-1 Triplane - I had this kit once but sold it when I got out of the hobby without ever building it. It was the one that got away. Proctor bought the rights and still makes this kit with updated hardware so it is doable in the future if the income allows.

The Oldtimer Pattern plane I can't recall the name but if I see it I'll know it - There are a number of the old pattern airplanes back in production and at reasonable prices just not the one I want. Naturally as a builder I want a build up wing instead of foam cores. This one is more nostalgia then lust unlike the previous models so Murphy's Law dictates I'll find it first.

I have several other airplanes on the short list but will probably require scratch building which if you don't mind cutting the pieces out saves a bucket of cash.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by RWHorton
August is a much better time, send me some details. [email protected]

I have been trying to finish my TF GS P-47. Need a welder to build a header system for the engine and a few electronic parts. Other than that it's done.

Ron

Looks great Ron! I will let you know.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have several kits I would love to have and I have seen a few of them but at prices I just couldn't afford. The kits I list after are:

SIG Ryan STA - you see this one from time to time and I did get a very reasonable offer to sell me one from another forum member but I just don't have the cash

Top Flite Arrow II and Bonanza - These two kits can be found from time to time but the price is way too rich for my pocketbook.

VK Models DR-1 Triplane - I had this kit once but sold it when I got out of the hobby without ever building it. It was the one that got away. Proctor bought the rights and still makes this kit with updated hardware so it is doable in the future if the income allows.

The Oldtimer Pattern plane I can't recall the name but if I see it I'll know it - There are a number of the old pattern airplanes back in production and at reasonable prices just not the one I want. Naturally as a builder I want a build up wing instead of foam cores. This one is more nostalgia then lust unlike the previous models so Murphy's Law dictates I'll find it first.

I have several other airplanes on the short list but will probably require scratch building which if you don't mind cutting the pieces out saves a bucket of cash.
I may have a line on the VK DR1. I will get back to you on this as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I may have a line on the VK DR1. I will get back to you on this as well.
Thank you!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:35 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Falcon 56 was my first one. Built on a pingpong table and monokoted with my mothers iron I spent more time fixing than flying. If I could find one for a reasonable price I would get it and build electric. I got lucky on a Dynaflite PT-19 soft spot for the 19, it reminds me of my Cox plane. The price of Topflite kits has gotten to be almost as much as the arfs, by the time you buy covering and extras. I was just saying in another thread how this site was turning into nothing but a bunch of whining about drones, ama, etc. Nice to see that someone is starting to build again.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by raptureboy
A Falcon 56 was my first one. Built on a pingpong table and monokoted with my mothers iron I spent more time fixing than flying. If I could find one for a reasonable price I would get it and build electric. I got lucky on a Dynaflite PT-19 soft spot for the 19, it reminds me of my Cox plane. The price of Topflite kits has gotten to be almost as much as the arfs, by the time you buy covering and extras. I was just saying in another thread how this site was turning into nothing but a bunch of whining about drones, ama, etc. Nice to see that someone is starting to build again.
Price wise its a losing proposition comparing ARF/RTF to the cost of kit and building it. The difference a kit will generally be better designed and last longer than an ARF/RTF. An AEF/ETF is built on the premise to build as cheap and as fast as possible and get an airplane to last the expected warranty period to maximize the profit of the manufacturer. A kit is designed to be strong and more lasting because the builder wants something for his investment of his time and can and will personalize his/her build. Builders knows what everything is under the covering looks like and what/how it was assembled. While an ARF/RTF buyer doesn't. The ARF/RTF may do some assembly but there is still a big difference in skill and knowledge. Kit builders enjoy seeing a box of wood turn into an airplane, ARF/RTF buyers just want to fly and get into the air as fast as possible.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:09 PM
vertical grimmace

One of the things I like about building, is that I can choose a durable, lasting finish. I am sure there will be some that disagree, but I have never had luck with plastic coverings, on the smaller glow models, as far as lasting a long time. I prefer to fiberglass and paint. Most of my aircraft now are large gassers though, so the finish is not as important. But even then, the plasticote coverings always get wrinkly and baggy with the sun after a while. My favorite covering now is full scale dacron for open structures. Then I will seal this with dope, and paint with latex. But almost everything I build is a warbird, so I want a flat finish anyway.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Vertical, I think if you are sealing up the open areas of Dacron/ceconite with dope you maybe just wasting money to make it heavier.. We have been having great luck just sealing the ceconite with the paint itself.. Then I do some airbrushing for weathering and details...The covering seems to shrink fine if needed without hurting the paint also.

I get enough of the fumes just sticking the edges down !

That is how we do all our WW1 planes here now.

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2143693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2143694  
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Foodstick if I didn't see you hand I wouldn't know it wasn't the real deal reproduction. Great work!!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:40 AM
vertical grimmace

I like to use dope to seal things up and keep the fabric tight. Provides a good base for the latex. If it is working for you without anything underneath, that is great. I have really liked how the dope has kept the fabric tight around the scallops on my Fokker.

Your planes look great! The airbrush is a wonderful tool.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Only the N11 above is mine.. But I have had a hand in painting/finishing detail on these and several more other WW1 planes in my area. We have a good local group and we try to encourage better and better looking planes. And we all give each other ideas and help to make it happen.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Here is a pic of my tripe. This is actually my second one. Lost the first one after about 8 years of hard flyin. Love me a triplane!

Name:	1014053_10201685793770991_2034253628_n (1).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2144002   Click image for larger version

Name:	581442_10201685798611112_1616776866_n.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	2144003   Click image for larger version

Name:	547094_10201700220411648_1112873731_n.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2144004  
Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM
vertical grimmace

Was able to get that elusive VK Fokker DR1 kit shipped off to Flyer in OK today. It is nice to be able to help out a fellow modeler, have a chance to build one of their dream kits. It was just given to me from an estate, so I figured I would just pass it along.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Was able to get that elusive VK Fokker DR1 kit shipped off to Flyer in OK today. It is nice to be able to help out a fellow modeler, have a chance to build one of their dream kits. It was just given to me from an estate, so I figured I would just pass it along.
And it is much appreciated! I can't wait to see it!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well Santa Claus in a blue uniform and a white truck dropped a big white box off at my house. Thanks to Verticalgrimace I once again own one of these. Looking at the pictures does anyone here have an idea when this kit was manufactured? I love the purchase price $79.95 down from $99.85! If my Swiss cheese memory is correct I be;ieve I paid around $110.00 back in 1975. Rich did a fantastic job of packing to get to me in its original condition. Since I'm of the school it didn't happen unless you have a picture here goes!

Name:	P1100736.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2148970   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100737.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2148971   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100738.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2148972   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100739.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2148973  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 AM
vertical grimmace

Glad to see it made it safely. Always tough to ship a partially built plane.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

I love to see a VK tripe back on the building board. I remember seeing them in the AMC ads back in the 70's for the princely sum of $90. It was the first RC model I ever lusted after. I finally got one in the 90's at which point I think the kit was $219. It was my first "serious" scale model. I really enjoyed the build. Proctor does quality. I hung a big lump of an Irvine .72 on the nose and got away without adding any additional balance weight. It was actually pretty easy to fly but as anyone who is familiar with them knows landing were a challenge. I think the maiden flight was the best landing I ever had. One upside is that it landed so slowly that I never hurt anything when it nosed over. It would also fit in the back seat of my malibu without taking it apart. I occasionally bid on them on ebay but if I pony up for a new one I'll probably go for something bigger. I'm currently working on an Apple Model Products 34.5 inch triplane that was probably kitted in the 80's. I kept the wings from my Great Planes Sportster Bipe for twenty years. I found a set of plans shortly after I threw them away.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Matt jogged my Swiss cheese memory with something mentioned in another thread. Here are some pictures to give you and idea of the current state of the VK DR.1.I keep hoping to get some build time in soon! I have some gussets I need to add and some others to replace (grain in wrong direction) on the tail feathers. The hardwood has been a nightmare to try and slot even my Great Planes electric slotting tool can't get thru the hardwood! I may switch to Robart hinges so I can drill the darn things. I need to get the cabana wires rebent so they match and then I I can get the plates on them and build the Turtleback. Then I want to get the bellcranks made and installed for the Pull-Pull system for the elevator. I celebrated my new job with a 10 meter roll of natural Solartex. I will make my own control horns out of brass to get the correct scale look. I have been posting regular updates in another DR.1 builder's thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post35768960 but progress lately been slower than a dead turtle nailed to a fence post!

Mike

Name:	P1100799.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2183525   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100797.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2183526   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100796.JPG
Views:	219