Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Byron (Iron Bay) Gee Bee R2

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Byron (Iron Bay) Gee Bee R2

Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 PM
MLibman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Richard, OKC(tell us your name) and I are shootin the #$@% waiting for your next post.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by MLibman
Hey Richard, OKC(tell us your name) and I are shootin the #$@% waiting for your next post.
It's Mike what's yours? Richard is known to let unimportant things like working for a living get in the way of his building. We all know he'll just blow it all on unnecessary things like food, clothing, shelter, and utilities. (Sigh) The guy just has mixed up priorities. ;-)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 PM
MLibman

It's Mark. Good to know you, Mike.. Your right. I've got too much time on my hands.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's Mark. Good to know you, Mike.. Your right. I've got too much time on my hands.
Good to know you too Mark! I envy you I wish I had too much time on my hands! Where are you located?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed....
So here is the gear completed and ready for mounting.

As I continue to look at this Gee Bee, I find many faults with its scale fidelity... more than I had originally noticed.
However, most of them will go unnoticed by all but the most ardent and anal Gee Bee R2 fans
IF the thing flies really well, that will be its redemption.
If not, well, at least I can join the small number of Byron Gee Bee builders who've been there, done that

Time to wax the wings, apply the striping tape and the vinyl markings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	2175580  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's Mike what's yours? Richard is known to let unimportant things like working for a living get in the way of his building. We all know he'll just blow it all on unnecessary things like food, clothing, shelter, and utilities. (Sigh) The guy just has mixed up priorities. ;-)
I am a multi-tasker who has finagled his way into a job that allows me maximum flexibility and a decent living. Besides, WHO needs food or shelter, when I have nice garage shop stocked with great beer?
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
MLibman

What don't you like?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM
MLibman

I recently moved to Oxnard, Ca. My regular field was Apollo in Van Nuys,Ca. Now I'm 50 miles away and not happy about it. Apollo is one of the larger public fields in California, (maybe the U.S.) 600'x75' paved, 400' dirt, 2 large pads for u-control and about 5 acres for helos and drones. All on about 100 acres? Part of a complex of three 18 hole courses, 2 parks with a lake, a wildlife wetland fed by a waste treatment plant all behind a flood control dam. I think the entire thing is more than 500 acres. Right in the middle of L.A.s largest suburb, the San Fernando Valley. It's an asphalt jungle.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM
RichardGee

What don't you like?
Wing airfoil is twice as thick as what would be scale. While this should contribute to much better flight characteristics, it is a very noticeable deviation.
The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are also MUCH thicker than scale.
The horizontal stab is located too high on the fuselage. I can only assume Byron did this to keep it from being blanked out by the fattest portion of the cowl, especially when flaring.
The wheel pants are not exact shape and the gear placement is too far forward. The gear are also not scale length... too short.
The canopy section of the fuselage is too wide.
I wish they would have molded louvers into the forward section of the fuselage, per full scale.
Otherwise, it's PERFECT!

Bottom line for me is that I have 60 flights under my belt with two CARF Gee Bee's. After some mods, my second was about as close to scale as anything out there. NEITHER Gee Bee was "fun" to fly. VERY stressful!!
The only FUN part about flying them was the ooohs, ahhhs, and attaboys from onlookers.
I NEVER felt even remotely comfortable flying them. Once in a great while, that kind of RC stress is OK... but I don't generally do a hobby to get stressed out.

IF this Byron flies well I will consider it a triumph, despite its scale deviations.

p.s. I edited this post because I also failed to mention the Byron stab span is WAY too long... again, I believe to prevent the stab from losing its effectiveness at slower speeds and/or high angles of attack. I shortened mine to within 1 inch of scale. Byron also built in a couple degrees of negative incidence on the stab ("up" elevator) and corresponding down thrust on the engine.. WHY??? I eliminated both, but the wing still has approx. 2.5 deg. of positive incidence per the full scale. WHO KNOWS if these mods will yield good or bad dividends....

Last edited by RichardGee; 08-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
MLibman

"Otherwise, it's perfect" Ha!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I recently moved to Oxnard, Ca. My regular field was Apollo in Van Nuys,Ca. Now I'm 50 miles away and not happy about it. Apollo is one of the larger public fields in California, (maybe the U.S.) 600'x75' paved, 400' dirt, 2 large pads for u-control and about 5 acres for helos and drones. All on about 100 acres? Part of a complex of three 18 hole courses, 2 parks with a lake, a wildlife wetland fed by a waste treatment plant all behind a flood control dam. I think the entire thing is more than 500 acres. Right in the middle of L.A.s largest suburb, the San Fernando Valley. It's an asphalt jungle.
I can see why Oxnard isn't cutting it! Now that's the spirit Richard! On the subject of beer, I prefer German, Polish, or Czech, and dark over pale.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

All builders ever sees are the flaws (real and imagined), all everyone else sees what is great about the airplane!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM
MLibman

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Wing airfoil is twice as thick as what would be scale. While this should contribute to much better flight characteristics, it is a very noticeable deviation.
The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are also MUCH thicker than scale.
The horizontal stab is located too high on the fuselage. I can only assume Byron did this to keep it from being blanked out by the fattest portion of the cowl, especially when flaring.
The wheel pants are not exact shape and the gear placement is too far forward. The gear are also not scale length... too short.
The canopy section of the fuselage is too wide.
I wish they would have molded louvers into the forward section of the fuselage, per full scale.
Otherwise, it's PERFECT!

Bottom line for me is that I have 60 flights under my belt with two CARF Gee Bee's. After some mods, my second was about as close to scale as anything out there. NEITHER Gee Bee was "fun" to fly. VERY stressful!!
The only FUN part about flying them was the ooohs, ahhhs, and attaboys from onlookers.
I NEVER felt even remotely comfortable flying them. Once in a great while, that kind of RC stress is OK... but I don't generally do a hobby to get stressed out.

IF this Byron flies well I will consider it a triumph, despite its scale deviations.

p.s. I edited this post because I also failed to mention the Byron stab span is WAY too long... again, I believe to prevent the stab from losing its effectiveness at slower speeds and/or high angles of attack. I shortened mine to within 1 inch of scale. Byron also built in a couple degrees of negative incidence on the stab ("up" elevator) and corresponding down thrust on the engine.. WHY??? I eliminated both, but the wing still has approx. 2.5 deg. of positive incidence per the full scale. WHO KNOWS if these mods will yield good or bad dividends....
Did you manage to get it to balance without adding too much weight to the nose? Also, I've seen you fly the CARF on youtube and you looked steady. I've seen quite a few videos with Hans flying a CARF with various set ups. Did he ever get comfortable with his? It's still one of my goals to build one.

Last edited by MLibman; 08-02-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:57 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I can see why Oxnard isn't cutting it! Now that's the spirit Richard! On the subject of beer, I prefer German, Polish, or Czech, and dark over pale.
While I HATE to contribute to the delinquence of deviant postings... I will make this one exception owing the fact that GeeBeeR2 DOES IN FACT have as its root word; BeeR
I consider beer to be one of the four food groups (along with bacon, cheese, and mixed nuts)

While I like and appreciate virtually all well-crafted beers, the ones I always seek out and crave are highly hopped ales (IPAs, Double IPAs, Imperial IPAs)
When the colder weather hits, I do find the occasional wheat beer or stout to be a nice change of pace, but IPAs are the beers I adore... the hoppier, cloudier, more citrusy and floral.. the better!

I have sampled many German beers, from Denmark to Bavaria. After two weeks in Germany I am starving from something OTHER THAN a LAGER!!
The only beers they brew that technically fall into the "ale" category, are wheat beers, alts, and Kolsch, although even those have more lager than ale characteristics. And when it comes to HOPS, their most hoppy beer would be a Pilsener, which in my world, tastes like the hops walked through the boil on stilts.

I was once on a plane with a German guy and we got on the subject of beer. I asked him what I considered to be a loaded and rhetorical question: "What country do you think has the best beers in the world?" He told me without hesitation, "why, America of course." He said that while Germany certainly produces a nice variety of high quality beers, America offers everything Germany does TIMES 10!
I agree.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

You haven't lived until you have tried Czech beer it puts the German stuff to shame.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 PM
MLibman

Not much of a beer drinker. Now Tequila....that's a different thing.............what time is it? Too Early.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM
RichardGee

Did you manage to get it to balance without adding too much weight to the nose? Also, I've seen you fly the CARF on youtube and you looked steady. I've seen quite a few videos with Hans flying a CARF with various set ups. Did he ever get comfortable with his? It's still one of my goals to build one.
My preliminary CG check showed that I would not have to add ANY nose weight as long as I placed everything inside correctly. Of course now with paint and some cockpit details, that could have changed - but I also added a dummy engine.... I won't know until she's all together and on the balancer. Hey, I would never repeatedly fly a Gee Bee IF I didn't maintain good control of the plane, but that still doesn't mean I was having "fun." What I found with the CARF was that no matter how many times I flew it, I NEVER got comfortable with it. I can't speak for Hannes, but I can confidently state that he is a better pilot than I, so it is possible he got what you might consider "comfortable" with the plane. He is also 25 years younger then me... and I vividly recall being "comfortable" with things a quarter century ago that would never pass muster today!

Bottom line is that a scale Gee Bee R1, R2 or Z are NOT airplanes for the faint of heart. They are not good "sport" airplanes nor are they any good for the pilot who occasionally loses concentration or focus. Neither are these airplanes right for the builder that isn't a stickler for set-up details, as even the smallest in flight emergency can exceed ANY remaining bandwidth you may have for additional focus and concentration. Every landing requires 100% attention, and even that does not guarantee success. Big Extras, Edges, Yaks and other marvelous flying thingz are TERRIBLE practice planes for a scale Gee Bee.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
MLibman

I've wrecked every one I've ever had. I did, however get quite a few flights in with the Page knockoffs, 30cc. The one that flew the best (and landed best) was the Haffke 1/4(R-1). with the 50cc. It really did everything well. Couldn't save it from dumb thumbs, though. Still haven't decided on my next one yet. Maybe that Byron if yours flys well.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:25 PM
FlyerInOKC

The flying characteristics are what have held me back on a Gee Bee project. I love the looks but I know I wouldn't be able to control a true scale model in the air. I will watch and see how the Byron flies.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 PM
RichardGee

I've wrecked every one I've ever had. I did, however get quite a few flights in with the Page knockoffs, 30cc. The one that flew the best (and landed best) was the Haffke 1/4(R-1). with the 50cc. It really did everything well. Couldn't save it from dumb thumbs, though. Still haven't decided on my next one yet. Maybe that Byron if yours flys well.
My 25% Haffke, even being fully sheeted in all the scale areas and fiberglassed, scale stab length, and weighing almost 7 pounds more than Haffke designed (19 pounds instead of 12 pounds) and "grossly over-powered" (according to Haffke) flew VERY WELL... MUCH, MUCH better than the CARF. The Byron has very similar dimensions, although I anticipate it may end up nearly 5 pounds heavier. Regardless, I would expect it to handle much more like the Haffke than the CARF. We will see....
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like your GeeBee is going to be a gorgeous plane. You cant argue with good results but I have a question. On more that one occasion you have mentioned waxing and then applying the striping tape. Usually waxing is the last thing done. Am I missing something?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:27 PM
MLibman

Default R-2

If you are anything like me, you'll be mocking it up to "see" what it's going to look like.......well.... mock it up and show us!!

Last edited by MLibman; 08-04-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Looks like your GeeBee is going to be a gorgeous plane. You cant argue with good results but I have a question. On more that one occasion you have mentioned waxing and then applying the striping tape. Usually waxing is the last thing done. Am I missing something?
I have found that Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is excellent for creating a smooth and clean surface. Meguiar's claims their product is "paintable" which leads me to believe it is fine to apply prior to applying markings. This is what I have been doing for years and it seems to result in an excellent surface to which markings really stick!! IF you try to wax AFTER applying striping tape, I guarantee you'll lift it unless you are VERY careful!
AT this stage of the build, I am in full "finishing mode" with no real direction other than to address each remaining item as I am motivated to do so. Paint is DONE. Striping tape is DONE. Additional markings remain... Here is where the project is today...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	2175828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	2175829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	2175830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	2175831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	2175832  
Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 PM
MLibman

*****en! Except for the the ailerons looking a little large, the scale looks pretty good to me. I want one.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 PM
MLibman

RC Universe won't let me say B. I. T. C. H. E. N. ! You believe that ****?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.