Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

G P super sportster kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

G P super sportster kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:17 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G P super sportster kit

hi
i ran across this forum from 2006 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...0-90-bipe.html
and saw this at post 9 a biplane ss does any one have a idea on doing this to my supersportster kit thanks ron
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the Super Sportster biplane is a variation that Great planes offered as a kit as opposed to a kit bashed regular S.S.40. I think it used the same basic fuselage with two shortened wings. I guess you could make your own using a normal S.S.40 kit if you wanted to. The S.S.60 is still offered in kit form, however the 40 size is only sold in ARF form today.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It is a fact the SuperSportster Bipe was a kit produced in the 80's to the about the mid 90's or so. I'm not sure on the dimension, as to it sharing sizes with any of the Sportster family of planes though. I can tell you they're out there, but its very rare to find a kit of the SS Bipe, and when you do find one they're generally very pricey.

I've built the SS40 and the SS60, and actually have a SS Bipe kit sitting right here in my man cave. I haven't decided whether I'm going to build it, or save it, I really don't want to sell it, but you know the old saying "everything's for sale for the right price"... haha... I just don't think anyone would want to afford my price right now.

I think a bashing of a SS 60 kit would be a great idea.... bash that kit into a bipe. Just build 2 wings(top wing is a swept wing).. shorten the wingspan a bit... and you might have a reasonably nice SS 60 bipe.

As far as how to fabricate and modify a kit to do that.... well.... that's a bit of another story.... It might take a while to explain that in full.. but essentially, when you build the bottom wing, shorten it a bit to compensate for the second wing.... built the second wing(top)same/similar span as the first wing.. build it as a swept wing... fabricate some cabane system to hold it on the top, and there you have it in a small nutshell. Good luck with it. It sounds like a great project.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 AM
rye

thanks i may try it ,how much shouldi shorten the wingand how much shouldi swept the wing would u be will to do some thing for a copy of your plans for the 60 size thanks email [email protected]
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a GP super sportster bipe for years. It's pretty wore out but still flies well. If you want to build one you might try contacting Great Planes and see if they still have plans available. I don't remember seeing one at a swap meet lately but I'm sure they're out there. It's a little small for me, the top wing only has about a 48" wingspan. I've thought about blowing one up to accommodate a Supertigre .90 one of these days.

The kit build SS flies very nice but it's a short coupled bipe and you have to control it well on takeoff. I put a .40 in mine and it required a ton of nose weight to balance so I switched to a .50 and it balanced perfectly. I also made huge cutouts in the stab and fin to save weight.

Carl
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM
rye

hi
the one i have is a 60 size kit that i want to build as a bipe,i found great planes plans on ebay and it is a 40 size set of plans now i have to figure out the % of blow up on the plans to get to the 60 size, the plans i bought are 46 " wing i need to get the plans wings to 61" anyone know what % i need,thanks ron
Old 01-27-2016, 01:04 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't help you with the % but maybe give a little advice. I would not just shorten the wing of a 60 size and build a top wing. The wings are thinner on the bipe not just shorter. Besides the fact that the top wing id swept and bottom wing is straight. Blowing up the plans of a 40 SS bipe would be the way to go. I would also change how the top wing mounts. The SS bipe does not have struts only the center cabanes. Because of this the top wing and fuse have to be built much heavier than really needs to be. A flat alum center support bracket with a couple nylon bolts would be much lighter. Then build a couple of struts with light ply in the center and balsa outsides for shape. This is how a Goldberg bipe is done. It is a stronger and lighter setup. I would also build the tail surfaces out of sticks and sheet both sides. the solid balsa surfaces back there also add weight you don't need.

David
Old 01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
pd1

The plans for the Sportster Bipe 40 can be downloaded from here.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6672

If you plan to build a 60 sized one, I'd look for an Aamco Aeromaster kit. Looks similar and flies great.
Those plans can also be downloaded from outerzone too.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
rye

thanks i look for the Aamco Aeromaster didnt show on outerzone ,rye
Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM
rye

i found it the Aamco Aeromaster , thanks again guys i am going to build a allien aircraft arrow 55 first for a freind then the ss bipe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	505_arrowmaster_55_d.gif
Views:	139
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	2143856  
Old 01-28-2016, 10:17 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Hay Rye, There is a G.P. Supersportster 40 Bipe kit listed on Ebay now. It was listed on Jan 28 @ 17:40, if that helps you find it. There are no bids yet and starting bid is $99.99. It is NIB and unstarted. Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that if you blow the 40 sized plans to 133 %, you will get to the desired size.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 AM
rye

hi
yep thats right but i have the 60 size ss kit that i going to use will the ribs for the top wing be the same so alli have to do is copy them thanks