Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Engine/Radio selection

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Engine/Radio selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Y3kim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/Radio selection

Hello I'm looking for suggestions for a glow engine and radio for my first rc plane/kit. It's a Great Planes Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 Trainer kit.

I plan on making it a tail - dragger. I have looked quite a bit and read of some others build on this plane, but still I am stumped on what radio and engine to get.

My budget for full radio setup and engine is around $300, keep in mind I don't mind tinkering with engines I actually enjoy it.

If I enjoy RC flying as much as I think I will then I think the radio should be one I can use with later, more complicated builds

thanks for any advice,
Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 AM
Calvinman

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the world of rc addiction. I think your choice for your first build is excellent, I would build it as a four channel and maybe relax the dihedral a bit. I hope you are able to join a club so you can get your "wings" without destroying all your hard work on the first flight.

For 300 dollars you might want to look at getting a used engine, perhaps a used radio too. Here again being a member of a club you may find some great deals from fellow club members. Beware buying a used radio though as it may need new batteries etc and may end up costing more than a decent new system. If you join a club, find out what radio the use for training.

Calvi
Old 03-13-2016, 05:56 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend an OS 2-stroke for your first engine. Easy tuning and good reliability. A used OS .40FP or a newer used 45AX would give you plenty of power. Radios are a whole different ball game. Everyone has their own pet radio brand and consider everything else to be junk. I would recommend seeing what is prevalent at the club you joined/are going to join (don't skip this step) as they can help you with any programming/set up issues you might have and you will be compatible with their radio for buddy box training. My only recommendation would be to stick with a major brand (Futaba, JR, Spectrum).
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As to what radio, you might check out the Tactic 850 (now available at Tower Hobbies for $159). It is a great 8 channel radio with 30 model memories, easy to program, very reliable. I have several 2.4 systems (Futaba, Spectrum, Orange, Hitec and Airtronics) and seriously believe that the Tactic is by far the best buy for the money. Not only a good radio system but inexpensive receivers as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:09 AM
Y3kim

Thanks for the advice fellas
I looked up the Tactic 850 and that looks like a good deal, I also looked at a frsky taranis.im curious if the frsky is worth the extra $40 and if id be better off with something more simple. Im leaning towards the tactic because its more in my price range. any input is appreciated because I do not know much about radios other than the basics.
I also found a couple used 2 stroke OS engines as well, $45 OS Max LA 40, and a $55 OS Max FX 40. the LA looks like an older version and looks like the FX is in better shape. there is some other brands too but they are about the same price
Old 03-13-2016, 07:12 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike and welcome to the madness

I started out with glow, but quickly switched to electric. I found that when I was first learning (on my buddy's plane), we would spend 10 min flying for every 1-2 hours of tinkering When I switched over to the club's trainer (which was electric), we were getting back in the air almost immediately (we had a several packs charging in rotation) and was able to progress much, much faster. But that said, the OS glow engines do have a great reputation and I know many flyers who swear by them.

With regard to radio, you are right that you need to think about the long term here. Once you start with a particular radio and receiver system, it will be a real hassle (and potentially quite expensive) to switch later on. I started with Futaba, but ended up switching to Spektrum. I still have a few planes with Futaba receivers, so I end up lugging multiple radios around. I personally like the layout and feel of the Spektrum transmitters better than the Futaba, but this is just a matter of preference. I also ended up with a number of bind-and-fly Horizon Hobby planes over the years too, so Spektrum became a path of least resistance for me. You can get a DX-6i setup for under $150 and this will be plenty to grow on for quite some time. If you move up to a more sophisticated transmitter down the road, your old receivers will still be usable. I have had great experience with Horizon Hobby customer service too (and no, I am not on the Horizon Hobby payroll )

Hopefully, you are flying with someone on a buddy box who can help you get started. It really is the best way to learn (especially if you are on a budget). You will crash (we ALL do - no matter what anyone says), so having someone to bail you out and prevent those first few mishaps will get you going much faster and much more economically. So, as others have said, another major factor should be what kind of equipment is most common at your local club or flying field.

Great to have you aboard and happy landings!!!

Al
Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Y3kim
Thanks for the advice fellas
I looked up the Tactic 850 and that looks like a good deal, I also looked at a frsky taranis.im curious if the frsky is worth the extra $40 and if id be better off with something more simple. Im leaning towards the tactic because its more in my price range. any input is appreciated because I do not know much about radios other than the basics.
I also found a couple used 2 stroke OS engines as well, $45 OS Max LA 40, and a $55 OS Max FX 40. the LA looks like an older version and looks like the FX is in better shape. there is some other brands too but they are about the same price
Avoid the LA engine. They were OS's attempt to compete with China on price, and they are no where near as smooth running, reliable or easy to tune as the FX engines. Used engines, though, usually have crash damage or bad bearings. I would suggest a new Magnum 46 from Hobby People or the ASP 46 from Hobby King's USA warehouse, $61. (Same engine.) These have proven over the years to be an excellent copy of the OS FX.

The Tactic is a better choice than the FR-SKY. Although both are made in China, the Tactic is made under the quality control of a US company, the FR-SKY is not. The FR-SKY also has a lot more programming options and unless you are a gadget freak, that just means there are a lot more ways to screw it up.

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 03-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Y3kim

Originally Posted by jrf
Avoid the LA engine. They were OS's attempt to compete with China on price, and they are no where near as smooth running, reliable or easy to tune as the FX engines.

The Tactic is a better choice than the FR-SKY. Although both are made in China, the Tactic is made under the quality control of a US company, the FR-SKY is not. The FR-SKY also has a lot more programming options and unless you are a gadget freak, that just means there are a lot more ways to screw it up.

I think you already have your best choices to start. Go for it, have fun and be careful.
I think it'l be the tactic then. Does it also work with simulators ?
Im looking on tower hobbies and they have it, says it comes with a free reciever but when I click on it and look at details it does not say its included. I'm gonna email them about that hopefully they get back to me soon as Id like to order it asap.

Thanks again for the help, there is a boatload of radios to choose from and I typically take forever to make a decision so Im just gonna go with it and stop browsing various radios and recievers before my head explodes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM
jrf

Y3: I just looked at the Tactic 850 on the website. The free receiver is a limited time offer. The detailed describtion page is what you would get if there were no sale. Just use the product number on the sale page, LWC 137 ,and you will get the receiver.

No, I don't work there, just a regular customer.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:43 AM
jrf

Y3: Please see my edit to my post #7 regarding used engines vs Magnum/ASP.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Y3kim

Originally Posted by jrf
Y3: Please see my edit to my post #7 regarding used engines vs Magnum/ASP.
I would like a brand new engine over a used one for sure. I was eyeing an ASP FS52AR Four Stroke earlier on hobbyking not sure if that would be too much power. Any magnum/ASP 2-strokes you recommend?

edit: I dont know how much of a difference this will make for weight but I plan on reinforcing a couple areas of the plane specifically where the landing gear is attached. I dont know how much weight this will add/if that will effect engine choice

Last edited by Y3kim; 03-13-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM
jrf

The 46 two stroke makes a lot more power than the 52 four stroke. The 52 will fly the plane, but the 46 will give you the reserve power to get out of the bad situations that you WILL get into. Just throttle back the 46 and you can fly as slow and gently as the 52 would.

Jim
Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM
jrf

BTW, adding reinforcements to the airplane will make it heavier and that means it will have to fly faster, and land faster. The Eagle 2 can handle a fair amount of weight, but be careful. Your reinforcements may mean that you are less likely to break something in a mishap, but it will also make the mishap more likely.

Jim
Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Y3kim

Hmm thanks for the word of caution I didn't think of that. The kit is supposed to get here tomorrow so I will be able to look at the plans closer. I don't want to do an extensive modification but I have read where the landing gear connects to is a weak spot (I'm going to replace it with a more durable main gear)

It looks like Ill have to get the ASP .46 from JustEngines because they are on back-order on Hobbyking and everywhere else I've looked. If I were to get an ASP 4 stroke, would the .61 or .70 be best?

Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 11:22 AM
jrf

The 61 would be my choice. It should give performance roughly equivalent to the 46 2 stroke and be lighter and less expensive than the 70. Remember, you still have to buy the servos, switch, battery(s) prop and spinner within your $300 budget.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 AM
jrf

Another caution if you replace the wire gear with aluminum. The wire gear is designed to flex and bend in a mishap. Aluminum gear will transfer the forces to the mounts in the fuselage and is much more likely to tear up the fuselage. My suggestion would be to try the wire gear first and just bend it back when needed. Most of your gear problems will be with the nose gear anyway. You should reinforce the firewall because the nose gear will tear that out long before you ruin the main gear.

SORRY, I FORGET THAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO MAKE IT A TAIL-DRAGGER. NEVER MIND.

Last edited by jrf; 03-13-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Calvinman

Here is what I use, Dubro Super Strength Landing Gear .35-.61 epoxy in some 1/4 ply during the build with some blind nuts and use some nylon bolts to hold it in place so it can break away on a hard landing. Don't forget to move the gear close to the leading edge of the wing as you said you were making it a tail dragger right? Sorry about the font it just stayed after I cut and pasted the "Dubro Super.......
Old 03-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Y3kim

Originally Posted by jrf
The 61 would be my choice. It should give performance roughly equivalent to the 46 2 stroke and be lighter and less expensive than the 70. Remember, you still have to buy the servos, switch, battery(s) prop and spinner within your $300 budget.
I should have clarified, I meant only the transmitter preferably with a receiver and a engine for $300. I imagine the rest will add $100 (i hope its not much more) or so on top of that. it will be more like $400 for everything for the kit +cost of kit-$100 = $500 total. If I have enough Id like a 4 stroke but Ill probably have to settle with a 2 stroke

Mike

Last edited by Y3kim; 03-13-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Y3kim

Originally Posted by Calvinman
Here is what I use, Dubro Super Strength Landing Gear .35-.61 epoxy in some 1/4 ply during the build with some blind nuts and use some nylon bolts to hold it in place so it can break away on a hard landing. Don't forget to move the gear close to the leading edge of the wing as you said you were making it a tail dragger right? Sorry about the font it just stayed after I cut and pasted the "Dubro Super.......
Yes I want to make it a tail dragger because I like war birds in general, might as well learn on something similar I thought.
I just looked that gear up is pretty much what I had in mind thanks for the link.
A secondary reason is my friend is gonna be my trainer, he has a grass airfield on his land and it can get long so I think the tail dragger will help if/when the grass does get long

Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Calvinman

Keep in mind during the build to use a shaft or somthing to link the rudder down to where the tail wheel will be so it will steer. Alternately you can us a pull pull system off of the rudder servo to steer the tailwheel with. I have my Tiger's tailwheel freewheeling as the thread broke for my pull pull set up. it works, but if there is any wind taxiing to the runway and back to yourself and the pits is out of the question.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Y3kim

Originally Posted by Calvinman
Keep in mind during the build to use a shaft or somthing to link the rudder down to where the tail wheel will be so it will steer. Alternately you can us a pull pull system off of the rudder servo to steer the tailwheel with. I have my Tiger's tailwheel freewheeling as the thread broke for my pull pull set up. it works, but if there is any wind taxiing to the runway and back to yourself and the pits is out of the question.
Did some looking I think Ill use the "Sullivan tail wheel bracket 20-40" for steering, unless someone recommends a better one.

this is slightly OT but Is there a preferred battery type for airplanes? I see a few different kinds, not really sure on what type I should get, and will I need 1 or 2 ?

Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Calvinman

I kind of like the Dubro Semi-Scale Tail Wheel System Size 20-60 but anything will do

Calvi
Old 03-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Y3kim

Thanks for the help everyone I appreciate it I plane on documenting this build and will post a new thread once I have all supplies to start

Mike
Old 03-13-2016, 03:50 PM
jrf

Y3: The Sullivan tail wheel bracket won't work on the Eagle because the rudder does not go to the bottom of the airplane. You will need this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD850&P=7 and you will probably need to make a new, longer wire strut.

Jim
Old 03-13-2016, 03:53 PM
jrf

As far as batteries go, Nickel Metal Hydride is the best for an airplane the size of the Eagle. They are cheap, easy to care for, use cheap chargers and they never catch fire and burn your house down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.