Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Venture 60 vs Flyin King

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Venture 60 vs Flyin King

Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 AM
gunnarmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venture 60 vs Flyin King

Hey all,

I was about to order a Venture 60 from Bruce Tharpe Engineering when a friend of mine offered to sell me his Flyin' King kit for about half what he paid for it. Now I am not sure which to buy.

Does anyone have any experience with this planes? Any preferences one way or another? I am graduating up from a trainer that I have been flying for 2 years (Hobbico Superstar 40) so this will be a second plane. I want to start learning basic aerobatics with the next plane but I also want an easy flyer that won't be too much of a handfull. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Lowvoltage

I think you would be very happy building the Flyin' King or the Venture 60. When you open the box and look at the kit and the wood used you will be glad you got it. Instead of building over the plans, I figure out the rib spacing and lay the center lines for the ribs out on white paper with a square. These kits will spoil you.
Joe
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Flyin' King is not really an aerobatic plane. Its a slow, high-wing plane. Trainer like. Loops, rolls, basically anything you can do with your existing trainer. The Venture is a more aerobatic platform but still forgiving. A good step up plane from a trainer. You can learn to do things like a cuban eight, immelman, split S, inverted flight, maybe knife edge, etc. Read up on the Four Star 60 to see what to expect.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I vote for buying both of them to satisfy whatever flying mood your in! ��
Old 07-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Bruce makes the best kits I have ever seen. If you get one, you will want the others. I have bought Ventures and Deltas. A Flyin King would be a lot of fun. A Super Flyin King may be even better.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Never owned a Flyin' King but have observed several in the hands of good pilots and they will do things you never thought possible, a great second plane. Check out covering on the Hobby King site, large planes require lot's of covering and the HK stuff works well and is the best value I have found.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I covered my Flyin' King with China Kote, and it turned out pretty nice.

[ATTACH]2171251[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Flyin' King 015.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2171251  
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Nice plane!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I have had both. Flying king will do everything the venture will do. Plus drop candy... Put a nice little lightweight 20cc gasser on it and you will have a blast. My current one has a evolution 15cc gasser and just a bit more umph would be nice. One of the old rcs 140 gassers would be good too as they were super light.