Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Skybolt build - advice needed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Super Skybolt build - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes Super Skybolt build - advice needed

I'm building my first balsa kit in about 17 years and really excited about it. I've completed the tail of the Skybolt so far, but have a few questions because its been so long since I built a kit. I've read where people have said the main landing gear that comes in the kit is too weak. Can anyone comment on what after-market solutions people are using? I haven't been able to find anything via google that is a replacement. Same for the tailgear - is there a better replacement online? The one that comes with the kit is a bit chintzy looking. Lastly, I will be using a OS 91 Surpass or OS 95 Surpass for a power plant. What engine mount is recommended? I think OS make a custom mount (OS71901200) that looks to be of good quality. Any comments anyone has, or advice on the kit in general would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 PM
BelAirBob

I would use a Sullivan tail wheel. They come in several sizes and come with a few different springs. You might be able to order the OS mount from Tower or get a Great Planes motor mount. I use them in most all my plane including two with OS .91 4 strokes

have fun building
Old 06-11-2016, 07:32 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

"great plane", I powered mine with an OS 91FSR, flies great, here are some pic's of my gear reinforcement . I used the stock gear but added braces and springs made with rubber bands, i also fixed it so that it can be removed to straightened when necessary. happy building
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	skybolt 001.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2167441   Click image for larger version

Name:	skybolt 002.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2167442  
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Skeezix4me

Great pics. I read that some people have used some kind of after market gear that is stronger than stock - ever heard of that?