Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Picking the right battery

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Picking the right battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM
eli.musgrove9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking the right battery

Hey all!

I am finding parts for my plane build and I don't know if my battery is correct. I was going to go with http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...dproduct=40267 (motor)

And http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...=&idparentcat= (battery)

I calculated the rpm on the motor as 81,600 (1.6 * 30 = 48 volts * 1700 kv). Is this too high for a 6* 4 prop or will my Esc/motor be fine?

All help very appreciated!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

You might want to review your formula. 81,600 RPM would be amazing fast.. Around 300 MPH. On a more helpful note it looks like the motor would spin a 6x4 prop around 18000 which is still pretty zippy. What you are looking for is 1. does the voltage of the battery match the requirements of the motor/esc. 2. does the battery have a discharge rate that can supply the requirements of the esc. That is can it supply the needed amperage. This is usually described in some multiple of the battery's storage capacity i.e. 20C . 3. Does the battery have enough storage capacity to provide a reasonable flight time. That is the mAh rating of the battery and 4. will the battery physically fit in the plane you are flying. I am primarily a nitro flyer so this pretty much hits the limit of my knowledge but three are electric gurus out there. You might get more answer on the electric flight threads.