Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Smoothie XL Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Smoothie XL Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:39 PM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pappy35, I don't know where your ign. module is mounted but I had overheating problems and found moving the ign. farther aft cured the problem. Another thought open the cowl around the head on the bottom...wont be noticed and has to help. Just a thought good luck! Jim
Old 01-29-2018, 04:30 PM
pappy35

Thanks. It's mounted inside the fuse above and just forward of the LG mounts. Did you have issues with a Smoothie XL or was it another airframe with a similar problem?

I was looking at the cowl yesterday but, given that it's the dead of winter (which in Memphis is a bit of a hyperbolic description I know) I'm not too motivated at the moment. 8-)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 AM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Pappy35, I don't know where your ign. module is mounted but I had overheating problems and found moving the ign. farther aft cured the problem. Another thought open the cowl around the head on the bottom...wont be noticed and has to help. Just a thought good luck! Jim
Old 02-10-2018, 11:28 AM
pappy35

Thanks Jim. Yeah. That's what I'm going to do and I'll report back here if it works...

...is there an echo in here?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default some Help?

does anyone know where the CG is supposed to be?
and throws? hi and low/

cannot seem to find in the manual

never mind.. I found it in a thread maybe even this one

Last edited by coleboom; 03-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 AM
pappy35

I posted all that in this thread or in Check6's. They worked out just fine for me.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:25 PM
coleboom

Default my build

Originally Posted by coleboom
I have a question
I am just starting my build and am still at the making sure I know what I am about stage (grouping parts, removing them from sheets, etc) I am looking at this build and the Landing Gear keeps popping up in my mind.. One of the reasons I like to build myself AND especially Giant Scale is that I like winding up with a trouble free aircraft... There is just something about real hinges heavy control horns, big hefty push rods, etc which screams quality and durability.
so....
though the Landing gear looks pretty nice I can visualize the wood covering and the wheel pants constantly falling off the wires and constantly having to mess with it...

Is this a real concern? I am thinking about having TNT build me a set of aluminum ones..

good? bad?

I went with wire. They seem pretty strong... Have not maidened it yet but will within the next week or so... Here are some pics

love the look that they have now but.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 PM
pappy35

Wow. Looks great. Nice job on the finish. Yours came out a LOT bigger than mine did though!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Crewdog

DA35 powered

Last Year’s Christmas present complete.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:37 PM
coleboom

you posted the build of this right? I like it a lot
Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Crewdog

Originally Posted by coleboom
you posted the build of this right? I like it a lot

No, I followed this thread and built it “stock” if you will.

Thanks.

I hope to fly it in the next week or so, weather permitting.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Eckenroth5

So glad to read this thread. I've had several deadstick landings myself. DA35 with pitts muffler. The plane is a joy to fly. I am now convienced the pitts blocks designed airflow but also deflects heat into the upper area of the cowl. The one gent that mounted an airscoop on the top figured this out. I'm changing out the pitts muffler for the standard side mount. Not sure how the lower cowl will have to be modified yet. I will post results if this solves the problem.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 AM
Eckenroth5

Plan B. Fire wall for DA 35 mounts about 3/8" aft of the front edge of the tank floor. If left like that, the pitts muffler mounts very close to the front of the tank floor and that blocks air to the carb area. Trimmed that part of tank floor off. Flew yesterday in 88 degree. No problems.