Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Value Hobby 71" Piper Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Value Hobby 71" Piper Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 AM
dgregg65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value Hobby 71" Piper Cub

Hi all,

There are conflicting power recommendations for this plane. The printed directions say to use a 4s lipo with an 800KV motor. The website suggests using a 6s lipo with a 500 KV motor.

Which would be the better set up? I would prefer extended flight time to power.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:35 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the kind of performance you're looking for. As you can see they're suggesting that motor with a 15" prop. A bit big, especially for that size plane.
71" is bit of 1/6th scale so consider what you may want to use.
If it were me I would go with a motor that would give you adequate power with a 12 or 13" prop. This plane seems a bit heavy so you will have to consider how much power you'll need.
I suggest you take a look at Inov8tive Products and see what you can find there. Lucien has provided performance measurements for most of the motors he sells. His charts list each motor along with the motor stats as well as performance characteristics with given number of cells and prop.
Check it out:Innov8tive Designs/Scorpion products

Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a side note a J3 Cub powered with a Continental 65 flew with less than 50 watts /Lb. power. Most Rcers fly Cubs with more power than needed.
I flew a GP .40 Cub with an O.S. 70 4 stroke and it flew very scale like at 1/4 throttle.
Putttta, puttta, puttta
Old 12-13-2016, 03:43 PM
dgregg65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The printed directions, the ones that came with the plane, suggest the G32 motor on 4s with a 12x6 prop. They suggest this would yield 720 watts of power. If I remember correctly from physics, the higher the voltage, the less amperage is needed to do the same amount of work. This makes me think that the 6s would give a longer flight time. A flying friend said to go with the 4s and just buy a higher capacity battery. The combination would be lighter than with 6s. Being a newbie to lipo power I don't know which to use. The 6s set up produced up to 1000 watts of power. That is way more than would be needed but I suppose the motor could run at a lower speed.

It seems that the 4s is adequately powered and the 6s is over kill. Which one will give the longer flight time if flying at speeds just safely above stall?