Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Taube 90 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Taube 90 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I hope I've made this comment before the build is too far along. Given that this is a BUSA kit and I believe that there being two sheets for the wing plans was mentioned, I would suggest making certain that the plans for the wings match one another. I don't remember if it was an issue with the Bristol Monoplane (also with laminated wingtips) but there were side to side differences on the plans for my N-17. Aside from that I've built three BUSA kits through the years and they have all been good flyers.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, mgnostic. I will check. It appears that in order to make the second (i.e., left) wing sheet, they just flipped the original right-wing sheet upside down to make a left wing plan. All the writing is in reverse. Oddly enough, I do remember a few notes on the left wing plan that were printed correctly (i.e., right-side up) but I will have to look the plan over once I get to that stage.

The weekend was busy with a Club swap meet on Saturday and then I made the bonehead mistake of going to a Major train show on Sunday - for those of you in the Northeast, it was a the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield and it took up four of their buildings. That really got me distracted as I decided to make an 'inventory' of some old but never-used HO stuff that I'd gathered or inherited over the years.

Fear not, I'll get back to the Taube shortly but I do have to scratch this itch. I wanted to do a little bit of a job and see if I could get the engines running. I'm not going to re-direct this thread into railroads, don't worry.

Bob
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I can relate Bob we have a bunch of old Lionel O gauge stuff. I usually take it out about once a year and set it up with the Dept. 56 building for the grandchildren to see and play with under supervision.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 AM
N1EDM

My problem is that I don't have space for a really nice setup. But I'm going to take my time. Before anything, I'm an aviator :-) :-) but I had a bunch of uncles who worked for the RR out in Ohio.

Be patient with me, folks.

Bob
Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, if you only knew just how slow most of the rest of us really are.........
Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

My building is like my running in gym class when I was in school, they used a calendar to time me in the 1/2 mile run!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 AM
N1EDM

Geesh, and I thought that I was slow.....

Bob
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by N1EDM
Geesh, and I thought that I was slow.....

Bob
It isn't easy getting passed by the Tortoise and the Hare both!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:03 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm glad to know I'm not the only aviator/railroader here!
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 AM
N1EDM

Yup, Flyboy, there are a few A/R's in my club alone!!

Bob
Old 02-08-2017, 07:43 AM
UPF-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed Bob!
A little late to the party but glad to be here! This looks like a really interesting build and I'm really looking forward to seeing this one at the field! Is that big one-piece wing going to be tricky to transport? What are your plans for power?

(Oops, missed your earlier post Bob where you talked about engine choices. Glad it's going to be a 4-stroke!)

Mark

Last edited by UPF-7; 02-09-2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 AM
N1EDM

Hi everyone, Surprised to see me????

It's been 14 months since I last touched the Taube and I apologize to anyone that I let down by dropping the build.

I'm getting back into the build now and have to correct a few things. The wingtip has taken some effort and there is one issue that I have to correct (more to follow) because I am not sure if the kit is wrong or if I am. The past year+ has been taken up with Club activities, repairing other planes, doing odd RC modeling jobs, etc. The wing has been on the bench for all that time and one thing that I had to correct was to exile one of the cats... he decided to take a nap on some of the framework and that had to be repaired. I wanted to 'repair' the cat too, but my wife put her foot down. That means that I was outvoted 2-1.

If you are building this kit, II will reiterate what was said earlier about being careful NOT to glue anything into place until the instructions specifically tell you to do so. If they tell you to 'place' something, then just place it.

Part of the
Old 03-13-2018, 07:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well that seems to be the par for the course on a lot of scale builds. Sometimes you need to step away to take care of higher priority items or just to recharge the old batteries.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM
N1EDM

I used a couple of things to help hold the laminated wingtip together. The first thing that I did was to use a dab of hot melt to hold the LE former to a couple of ribs to keep it from slipping around. Here's the trick. Turn on the gun and after the glue starts to melt and drop out of the tip, put a little on a nail head and wipe that on in 2-3 places to keep things aligned. The photo shows how little is needed. Don't glue it from the gun itself, that's way too much glue... I'll be able to pick this little bit of hot-melt off later if I feel like it.

The laminated wingtip also slipped around, so I made up some clamps out of 3/4" x 3/16" stock that was trimmed off from some of my old woodworking projects. I tried to use a tiny squeeze clamp, but this didn't work. The leverage from the arm of the squeeze-clamp made the LE lean over. With the homemade clamps (the whole job took 10 minutes) there was no leaning or tilting of the laminated LE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Glue spot - annotatedt.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2259076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp pieces.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	2259077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp in use.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	2259081  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 AM
N1EDM

I want to finish the wings so that I can start on the Fuse. I get a kick out of re-reading Dick Pettit's review where he describes the tail feathers as resembling a Rose Trellis.... The elevator appears to be a bit on the small side according to the plans, so I might enlarge it... but I am getting ahead of myself... WIngs first.!!

The first wing is taking 14 months... The next one will probably only take 14 minutes after what I've learned...

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by N1EDM
The first wing is taking 14 months... The next one will probably only take 14 minutes after what I've learned...

Bob
Isn't that always the case?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
N1EDM

Ayup!!! I over-thought it too much. I think that that is where we all go wrong...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its like buying covering materials you either under order a little or over order a lot!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:39 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

N1EDM, don't feel bad. I have a build thread on RCG for a PT-60 that's been going since September, 2016, and it's still not covered.
And now I'm starting another build for a Top Flite Elder 40.
FlyerInOKC, how does one go about joining your Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Add it to your signature with my blessing I'm too slow to keep count except I do remember someone on the forum taking the VP position. As for slow projects I have a TF 182 I started the month before my third grandson was born and he turn 4 this year!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:09 AM
N1EDM

Just a few notes to keep this build-thread alive. I have already gotten outlines ready for the next four posts. But for now, I would like to say from 'lessons learned' to date:·

As noted earlier in this blog, this is not a beginners kit – but neither is it especially difficult if you follow the directions explicitly. You need a couple of easier kits under your belt first so that you are familiar with fitting and working with balsa and softwood materials.
The wing is going together very well now.·

If the instructions say to ‘fit’ something in place, then just fit it. Do not glue anything into place until the directions specifically tell you to do so. Do not over-think the process. Ask me how I know. Or, better yet, please don't ask and save me the embarrassment.
·

The directions are good, but the photos could be clearer.
·

Anything done after 9:30PM will take you twice as long to undo the next day.
·

The kit has very nice die cutting but still needs minor sanding to shape, as do most kits
·

I cannot find Cut Rite waxed paper any more..... But when necessary, I have been using backing from Monokote under glue joints. Save that backing from your next covering job - even the small pieces. CA does not stick to it.

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-22-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 AM
rammon3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot find Cut Rite waxed paper any more....
I find that the "store brand of waxed paper works fine. You can also use parchment paper.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:13 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Rammone3, I've tried that. To be honest, I think that they've changed the formulation anyway. Does your house-brand waxed paper really protect against CA???

For the record, I also use the Parchment Paper but CA sticks to that too. The only thing that I've found that works against CA is the Monokote backing. Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone has used Ultracote backing and whether that works or not???

Comments anyone???

And, if you reference up to Post 71 again and that comment about 9:30PM.... well, I'm proof that that's the truth. I went and partially glued in a stringer last night. This morning I found out that it still needed more work on it that would have only taken 15 seconds instead of 15 minutes if I had not glued the *&^$@#&% thing in place too early
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rammon3
I find that the "store brand of waxed paper works fine. You can also use parchment paper.
The waxed paper the make now, regardless of brand, is porous to allow for use in a microwave. CA bleeds right thru! I use Ultracote backing and I also use the clear self stick book protector and GP plans protector.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Flyer. I never knew that about the reformulated waxed paper. So, it's no good for us anymore - at least for CA. I have also heard rumors that Plans Protector is nothing more than the backing off the rolls of Monokote. I don't know if that is true or not, but I've been using the old Monokote backing with good success. Thanks for confirming that Ultracote backing also works. I've never tried that book protector stuff. Where do you get that??? An office supply store??? Wal-mart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.