Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Taube 90 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Taube 90 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM
rammon3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I don't use CA very many places. I build mostly with Titebond. It takes longer, but it's much more forgiving. The waxed paper works fine for that.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by N1EDM
Thanks, Flyer. I never knew that about the reformulated waxed paper. So, it's no good for us anymore - at least for CA. I have also heard rumors that Plans Protector is nothing more than the backing off the rolls of Monokote. I don't know if that is true or not, but I've been using the old Monokote backing with good success. Thanks for confirming that Ultracote backing also works. I've never tried that book protector stuff. Where do you get that??? An office supply store??? Wal-mart?
I got some at either Staples or Office Depot. I have a tendency to over buy so I don't have to hit the store as often.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oops, My Mistake

OK, Everyone... If you want to know where I screwed myself up on this build, here it is. I will admit, up front, it was stupidity on my part, so don’t get caught yourself. Keep this between you and me, , OK?

I made another call to BUSA (see Post #39 for the first one - I think that the tech’s name was Dave - he was patient with me) and he set me straight. Dave kept referring to a sketch that was on the plans. Huh? What sketch??? I don’t see no stinkin’ sketch!!

Well, call me dummkopf!! I was always there, but I had a bunch of tools, sanding blocks, and whatever piled on top of the sketch, so I wasn't gonna see it unless I was Superman with X-Ray vision! I’m learning to keep things clear of the plans now.......

This next photo is a mocked up version of how I had incorrectly installed the lower tip spar. No taper, just butt-glued. No wonder why the ribs would not set in the right position. Mea Culpa.

Look at the photo below. It shows the sketch in question just below where it says “SECTION AT OUTER END OF MAIN SPARS”. If my bench hadn’t been so messy and covering the plans like it did, I would have seen this and avoided a lot of work and aggravation for myself. Once this was corrected, everything lined up beautifully. This is the way that the spars should have been tapered and installed in the first place.

Here is the lower spar properly tapered and properly installed.

After that I realized that what I had written in Post #48 was completely wrong. I edited that post to keep others from making my same mistake.

For the record, I also made some edits to Post #1 to put a few links there that might give you some casual reading about the Taube. And there is also a link to the Mid-Hudson RC Club who put on the Rhinebeck event, which will be Sept 7-9 this year (2018).

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-22-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

As someone who excels at stupid mistakes when building your secret is safe with me!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 PM
N1EDM

Smile Tips and Tricks I learned on this build.

Thanks Flyer... I needed that!!

I'm about to go back down but thought I would pass along a couple of things...

In jigging up the wing ribs, spars, etc., if you happen to move 'this' piece, then 'that' piece seems to shift out of kilter. I needed something to hold things in place just a little bit. I tried something that I'd never done before - a dab of hot glue. READ THIS THROUGH BEFORE YOU CONDEMN ME!! What I did was to start the gun up on the bench (a piece of paper under the tip to catch the drips). Once the hot-melt starts oozing out of the tip, I took a small nail and ran it under that dribble of glue and then quickly spread it where I wanted it. It had just enough tack to hold pieces in place, and it also left plenty of room to apply the CA. Look closely at the photo to see how small a dab was needed. Note that the gun was never lifted from the bench. I didn't need anything more than what was on the tip of that nail.

Another thing was the use of my trusty X-Acto Miter Box. It seems like I always needed 3 hands - one for the saw, one to hold the stock, and one to hold the miter box. After years of this, it finally hit me that there is a lip on the front of the box. I just caught that lip in my bench vise to hold it. IF you look closely, you can also see some sacrificial lite ply that I cut and put inside the bed to save the saw teeth at the end of the cut.

I also anticipated needing a long clamp for when I get around to doing the aileron. I already have squeeze clamps that will span what you see in the photo, but they are very heavy. I wanted to make something lightweight so I got a couple of $2 squeeze clamps from Harbor Freight. It didn't have to be that strong, so I only used a couple of scraps of hardwood. I could have also used some scrap metal from a small "L"-shaped mending bracket as well.

If you look at the above photo, you can see where a couple of colorful spring clamps to hold the aileron in place along the TE. Those el-cheapo clamps do a good job. I put some tabs of ply beneath them and put some monokote backing between the pieces so that when it came time to apply the CA, I wouldn't accidentally glue the aileron and the TE together by mistake. Here is a better close-up of the clamps. And no, I wasn't trying to make a fashion statement with those colors - it just happened that way.

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-22-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM
FlyerInOKC

Actually I may steal that hot glue idea.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM
N1EDM

Go right ahead, Flyer.

First, I want to emphasize that that hot glue idea was strictly for jigging things up... I was surprised at how little I needed just to baste the parts together. I have no intention to use hot-melt for anything structural. And like those old Brylcreem ads,(remember that stuff??) 'just a little dab 'll do ya. Gawd, I just looked it up on Google - I think that stuff is still around!

Part of the purpose of this thread is not only to build an unusual airplane, but to point out some of the issues that might come up building it. And if I can point out some of the pitfalls one might get in building this kit, it might encourage others to try the idea themselves, or to toss out better ideas to solve problems.

Bob
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Jigging the parts up was what I had in mind. I too run into situations where you need a third hand to hold a part so you can get glue on it. Hot glue sounds like a great way of doing this. It will hold the parts and then you can apply your favorite adhesive, Titebond II, CA, whatever, and you don't have to sit and hold it or try to get a pin in it while you watch it dry.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 03-23-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM
flhattrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ran into this forum and post as i am thinking about doing the same build,, its been since the early 80s that i have done a build/or fly and that was the ole ugly stik. have a 16yr old boy i will be doing this with, was curious you guys thoughts on Taube as a build and flying being so long removed from the hobby. thanks friends
Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 AM
rammon3

This is not a beginner's kit. That being said, if you have plenty of experience, then you can pass on some knowledge. This would not be a good model to learn to fly with, however. You might consider something like a Sig Kadet or GP PT40 for a learning tool. I hope your son gets into the BUILDING and flying as opposed to the ARFs and ready-to-go stuff out there. There's a high degree of satisfaction in watching something you actually built take off. We need some younger blood to keep this hobby going.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 AM
flhattrick

exactly rammon, although it blows my mind what is available as far as kits go, almost everything it ARF, i am thinking 4 stroke for the fuel cost savings compared to glow but the more i see all the electric available i am starting to look at those also ( to my disbelieve )
Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM
rammon3

I have a few electrics and they do have some pluses. No starting problems, minimal cleanup. But, the batteries ain't cheap and they are a fire hazard (I know from experience). I also consider electric power more dangerous than fuel simply because whenever you have a battery connected, you have a live cobra waiting to strike. And, unlike a fuel engine, they don't stop when they hit something. I will continue to fly both, but I like the sound and smell of nitro power. I also own a few ARFs simply because they were on sale, looked good, and quick to get airborne.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM
flhattrick

going to build the great planes PT-60. nice big plane for my old eyes and larger planes tend to react slower, and thats good for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM
N1EDM

HI Flhattrick,
I have to also emphasize that this is not a beginners kit. Your choice of the PT-60 is a good one but I made a couple of other suggestions below.

If you ever do build one of these Taubes down the road, bookmark this thread so that you can go back through it and not make the mistakes that I made along the way. This plane isn't especially complicated, but it is tedious in parts. You build this plane because you 'like to build'.

I think that your choice of the PT-60 is a good one. Along with that plane, a couple of other kits to consider would be Bruce Tharpe's Venture 60 (low wing, like the old Sig Four-Star 60) or his Flyin' King for a high-wing job. I've built some of his planes and they're hand cut and very precise for parts fit. www.btemodels.com

Just my $.02

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-24-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:39 PM
N1EDM

Str8aero,
I was re-reading some of the early posts and you said that you had started your Taube about a week ahead of me... (Post #8) How is it coming??? Just curious... and am curious about comments from anyone who's built one or is in the process....

I'm still going to work on the Taube but I got a bit waylayed this afternoon... I'm working on a plane for a friend, sprucing up a Funtana 90. I also inherited a pond skimmer (home brew) if I would only help another person by repairing his own Pond Skimmer, an Aquacraft Alligator.

Stay with me folks!!

Bob
Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by flhattrick
going to build the great planes PT-60. nice big plane for my old eyes and larger planes tend to react slower, and thats good for me.
Good choice! I've been working on one for longer than it should take, but right now I'm waiting to see what happens regarding Solartex. https://solarfilm.co.uk/password
Here's my build log at 'the other place':https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-60&perpage=25
The plane is not entirely stock, however.

The pirate now returns the hijacked thread.

Last edited by flyboy2610; 03-25-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Needed it.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM
N1EDM

Avast, Matey!!! Trying to Hijack my thread, eh?? I'm going to lurk on your two just to get even!!

The caption on one of your photos said you had a 'messy' man-cave?? Ha!! Why do you think I crop my photos so close!! I'm trying to hide the evidence in the background.

Back to work on that Funtana 90!

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 03-25-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
N1EDM

This is a test post. I have been unable to get into my own thread and edit posts. I can't tell if the problem is with the site or my own browsers. I am trying to see if I can at least post a simple message and then edit it, at least. I tried earlier but the site locked up my browser(s).

It has not been for want of trying to get in. So far, there has been no acknowledgement or reply to my requests for help or info. I don't know if my requests are even getting through.

Sorry for the SNAFU,

Bob
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Here is a reply so you will get a link to a new reply.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:49 PM
N1EDM

It appears as though my last post was loaded OK. It says that I can edit my last Post (the button is there) but I cannot get to any of my other posts for editing, which I want/need to do in some cases.

I'm still working on that Funtana but hope to be finished soon (ref Post #90) and will then get back to this and finish the Ailerons.

I heard that Balsa USA is going to discontinue Solartex because the company providing it may be closing up shop in order to retire. Can anyone confirm/deny/refute/update this news????

Thanks for the note, Flyer. Our posts must have cross paths in the ether... FYI, what I am attempting to do is to edit some of my own, older posts but the site doesn't seem to want to let me do that. I can edit these two most recent posts though. I am guessing that this is a result of the latest Upgrade... very frustrating. Thanks for your Post.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 04-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I recall reading a post somewhere on here that the user was complaining about not being able to edit posts after 24 hours, so I think the site owners may have put a time limit on editing.
As for BUSA and Solartex, the company that made Solartex is no longer selling to distributors. They were planning to go direct sales, and it appears that that is just what they have done! https://solarfilm.co.uk/
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

I would have thought they would have kept a USA distributor or at least a Canadian one.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Flyboy2610... it appears that you are correct. I notice that I cannot edit my latest post (#95) which was posted only a couple of days ago- the "Edit" button is now gone. Last week, I was able to edit posts that I had put up months ago - but not any more. And, if I happen to open this thread in Firefox (I'm using Internet Explorer for this) the FF version open in the 'print' version and there is no button to let me change back.

I am going to keep this post open for the time being but am considering options. I was a faithful follower of RCU but I find that its recent changes are not to my preferences. I hate to say that 'out loud' but perhaps the Moderator might take these comments back to the software guys.

And FlyerInOKC, I agree with you - why wouldn't someone want to buy out a successful, established business for themselves??

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 04-15-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:03 AM
N1EDM

As promised, I finally got back to the Taube build and have been working on it for about a week now as well as making notes.

There is another thread on another forum entitled "Taube 90 Wheels" but the thread includes some building hints too:
https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...512&PN=1&TPN=5 as well as construction photos. If you are curious, it might be worth your time to subscribe to that as well. I'll be monitoring and adding to that if anyone is interested.

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 07:06 AM
RonsHangar

Default Balsa USA Taube 90 kit mods

Has anyone tried building the kit with no ailerons? How well does it fly? I found a Nick Ziroli version that someone was selling, built with no ailerons. The builder said it flies very well. Since I have the Balsa USA version. The rudder design is a little rounded in comparison to the one I have. I am curious as to how well the Balsa USA version flies with just rudder, elevator and engine control. Ailerons just don't belong on this design and wing warping is something I don't want to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.