Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First build Sig Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First build Sig Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 06:44 AM
michaelgantt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First build Sig Somethin' Extra

I got into the R/c hobby this year, after a failed attempt 23 years ago. still have my old Hobbico Trainer, and moved to it after flying a foam cub first. I bought a Four Star 54 ARF, and moved to it. Started a Something Extra kit build a few weeks ago. judging form the camera timeline i started this on September 5th, progress is slower than I'd like, but with a full time job, family and 9 month old baby, spare time is pretty slim. I am learning a lot, making plenty of mistakes, but none i was not able to correct or work around. i read the entire plan and instruction manual twice before starting the build, then i read the step twice before completing the step and i still manage to make a mistake, or ten....
I'll load some pics of the build, i am very close to covering the plane, still need to sand the fiberglass mat at the control horn mountings, and do the final sand. cover then fuel proof the engine bay and firewall. I have an older O.S. 46FX that's going to be pulling the plane through the air, Hitec servo's, Spektrum receiver and a LIPO battery.
Hoping to finish this bird soon so i can fly it, and get started on the next project. Fellow club member gave me an incomplete Goldberg Cub, around a 78 inch span complete with servos and O.S.91 four stroke, says the plane is built, but needs final assembly and covering. it was a project in limbo for about 15 years so it really needs to see some air under its wings
that will satisfy my want of a slow flying bird, then i'll move on to the 1/5 scale Chipmunk kit i have from SLEC out of some place called England. I think I've heard of it. something about tea and biscuits....
Old 10-05-2021, 08:10 AM
michaelgantt

not letting me post pictures until i have ten posts. kind of a let down, so know its basically forcing me to go make some posts and clutter a thread for no reason
Old 10-06-2021, 02:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Just so you understand, the 10 post rule was enacted after several people joined the forum, posted what amounted to sales ads in several forums and swindled members out of their hard earned money on products that were never intended to be delivered. When the 10 post rule was enacted, the problem almost totally disappeared. It wasn't something the admins wanted to do but it was something they needed and were forced to do.
The following users liked this post:
daveopam (10-07-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 06:13 PM
TomM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of cluttering up threads for no reason, you could contribute....
Now that you're building a Sig kit, roam over to the Sig Brotherhood thread here on RCU and check in.
Here's a post back when one of my SE's was under construction. I shedded some weight, enlarged the tail control surfaces, and added flaps. Compared to my SE ARF, it's a floater.
~~SIG Brotherhood ~~
Old 10-07-2021, 06:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The SIG SE is going to be a great next step for you. You will be at 10 post in no time, hang in there.

David
Old 10-14-2021, 06:16 AM
michaelgantt

ALRIGHT!!! I can post pictures now
covered 1 wing, have a little wrinkling i couldn't iron out, but so far its almost as good as the cover jobs on my ARF's. was hoping to get this gal in the air before deer season, but that's this weekend. i normally put 4-5 deer in the freezer each winter, so building will take a step back until i get my meat in the freezer for next year. once the freezer is full, i'll hang the rifle up till next year. never got into hunting horns, as some do for trophy hunting. i prefer 1-3 year old Doe's for their tenderness.
anyway, back to building... this plane is really coming together, won't be long. finish the covering, then final assembly and outfitting and she will be ready for the first flight

Old 10-14-2021, 01:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice job on the build and covering!

David
The following users liked this post:
michaelgantt (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:36 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your SE is looking fine. Its a fun plane to build and with the .46FX will give enough power to be fun yet it will be easy to control.

I too prefer tender meat over horns when it comes to hunting deer. Except where I live, I can purchase a pig or 1/3 beef that is equal to my cost to hunt. State makes a killing of the sport hunters.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:43 PM
Starwolf2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your plane looks great!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:47 AM
michaelgantt

scottrc i hunt on my own land, so no permits needed. cost of the bullet, and freezer bags. i dress and quarter, and process my own meat.
Starwolf2 Thanks!!@

I finished covering this weekend. instructions said to cut hinge slots before covering

, which i did. and now i can't find them. so i'll cut new slots, and engine needs to be mounted. electronics and this bird will fly!! getting close
Old 10-20-2021, 09:47 AM
michaelgantt

Installed the Elevator this morning before leaving for work. loving the contrast between the checker and green. i was not sold on the green while it was on the roll. glad i went with it now. already planning the next project.... i could build all day