Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review

Old 08-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are almost done. As of Friday. Takes time to engineer then draw up plans for production get them to the guys to cut make and ship out pluss draw up instructions on how to install. At least thats how i look at it. Of course when i get mine i get to pretend that i have a plane to put them on.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you saying your plane is beyond repairing? I was under the impression that with help from "Crunch Jr" you could do anything. Was I wrong?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 PM
wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the approximate wing thickness of the center section?

Not much help for those who've already built but I don't see why you couldn't just go to longer/stronger wing tubes... Struts are a band-aid solution.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:13 AM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Are you saying your plane is beyond repairing? I was under the impression that with help from "Crunch Jr" you could do anything. Was I wrong?
well i put the whole plane in a 30 gallon garbage bag.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 AM
mogman

Originally Posted by wheels
What's the approximate wing thickness of the center section?

Not much help for those who've already built but I don't see why you couldn't just go to longer/stronger wing tubes... Struts are a band-aid solution.
The wing tubes are not the problem. They hold the outer panels on.
The center section is 6 ft. long. The wings are breaking near the middle of the center section, where the wing is shaped to fit around the cabin/windshield area.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
well i put the whole plane in a 30 gallon garbage bag.
I guess that answers that question. Just out of curiosity, did the plans have templates so you can build another from them?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Captcrunch44

No plans with the rascal 168 just a instruction manual. The plane can be built with just a manual. Only option is to keep all the blanks or copy the parts as you go. Its part of an idea to produce a giant plane that any one with little experience with big planes can build. ??
gues what I didn't do?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Can we say OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You would think Sig would have included a sheet that would let you make repair parts, like with the Kadet kits

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Tommybey

Just received shipping notice.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Can we say OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You would think Sig would have included a sheet that would let you make repair parts, like with the Kadet kits
that was part of the idea, you don't need plans to build. With the way its all jug locked together it aligns itself and does come out pretty straight. And if its not, losing up the locks and straighten it out. Once its the way you like it apply the glue. The sheeting can only go together one way. So if you can read the instructions you can build a giant airplane.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Received the strut kit today. About what I expected. Two 3/4" wide strips bent at each end, two 3/8" strips bent at each end(approximate, didn't measure) and 4 each 3/8 and 3/4 wood strips along with a wood and hardware pack for the fuse and wings.

Placement is pretty much where I did mine, though mine is a little more towards the LG. The wing attachment is the same, a bolt in each panel, with a ply backer in the outer panel. After seeing this I will stick with what I made since there really wont be any difference in lateral strength. They also want you to add a fiberglass strip along the center seam on the CS, though that is not where the breaks occur.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4298[1].JPG
Views:	114
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	2228315  
Old 08-17-2017, 03:58 PM
wheels

Originally Posted by mogman
The wing tubes are not the problem. They hold the outer panels on.
The center section is 6 ft. long. The wings are breaking near the middle of the center section, where the wing is shaped to fit around the cabin/windshield area.

Yeah, my mistake... I somehow got to thinking of it as a 4 peice wing instead of 3. Still, my thinking is the same... there are plenty of +40lb aerobats out tjere being flown HARD on nothing but a 1.5" tube center section, no reason this wing can't be built strong enough without struts.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Moutianman

Default In the mail.

Just ordered my rascal 168, question I have is. What do you like and dislike of it. Second I am making mine a float plane. Is there any good ideas on floats. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM
acdii

It goes together very easily, but is very heavy. Another builder was doing floats, but by the time they got it built found it to be too heavy for floats. The concept is great, but it is a very tail heavy plane. The stab and fin need to be lightened up drastically to make it a lighter plane, then it would make a great float plane. As it is, with mine built by the book, with the only mod being a bolt and t-nut for the front of the fin, and a hatch in the nose, I needed 7 pounds of weight with a DA-100 on the nose, and that is after extending the motor mount out several inches. After I saw the video of the wing folding, I added aluminum struts to it, which are pretty close to where the SIG struts are now located. Since they are so close to CG that made zero difference in balance.

I only have two short flights on mine, so I can't say anything on flight characteristics other than it flies heavy and will need power throughout its flight.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by Moutianman
Just ordered my rascal 168, question I have is. What do you like and dislike of it. Second I am making mine a float plane. Is there any good ideas on floats. Thanks

it does fly big heavy and slow but has very gentle flight characteristics i got 8 flights on mine. And i loved it. Flew mine on a DJ 85. And 9 pounds in the nose. But it flew fine. Struts are mandatory!!! If i were to build another one I would scarf the spar caps so they are more one piece. Maybe lay a thin strip of carbon fiber on top and bottom of spar then put the spar cap on. And use epoxy to glue all that together. After that its build to spec. I would also extend engine out as far as you can get a way with. To take some weight of the nose.
So you bought a great kit its easy to build and you should enjoy every flight. But to put floats. You are definitely going to need power. But I don't recommend any thing over spec but what you do is your business. If you know what i mean. Not to mention do not (and everyone will tell you ) fly this plane wit out struts!! Good luck and if you have any questions just ask there are three of us here who have built one and can answer about any thing you would like to know.
One last thing if you bought this with any kind of 3D in mind don't do it it was never designed for that. Sorry.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM
acdii

I am still wracking my brain to figure out how the hell you came in at 44 pounds with 9 in the nose.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 PM
mogman

Read through the build thread here on RCU and over on RCG.
There have been a few people involved in the build and we all basically had the same issues....incomplete instruction manual (may have been updated/corrected by now), very tail heavy, needs a ton of weight up front, comes in quite a bit heavier than Sig's claimed weight. Most likely will not fly with Sig's recommended gas engine size. I don't believe Sig ever flew a prototype with a gas engine, only electric. NEEDS STRUTS!!!!
Other than that, it goes together quite easily, there's just a lot of it...it's a BIG plane.

Dave.

EDIT...The landing gear is marginal for strength. I used some 1/4" piano wire inside the landing gear using stand-offs from B&B Specialities.
Have fun!

Last edited by mogman; 08-22-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM
mogman

Originally Posted by acdii
I am still wracking my brain to figure out how the hell you came in at 44 pounds with 9 in the nose.

Me too!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Moutianman

I was thinking of using the evolution 125gx. One of you has used a 85 and the other a 100 can you please tell me what you liked about the motors you decided on or if they where under or over powered. Thank again.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Captcrunch44

I was thinking of using the evolution 125gx. One of you has used a 85 and the other a 100 can you please tell me what you liked about the motors you decided on or if they where under or over powered. Thank again.
the Dj 85 from Mile High Rc. Had what I would say as the right amount of power. Not to mention it was only 309 dollars. Runs great for an 85 cc engine.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:28 AM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by acdii
oh shoot. I forgot to tell you guys i did get a chance to re weigh before my incident and it cam in 48 pounds. I guess i was more upset then I thought and forgot to post the re weigh. And looked back and I even said it again about how much it weiged, and I even re stated the wrong weight. I am really sorry about the headaches that i may have caused while in my state of morning. I guess untell now I didn't realize how upset I really was.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:58 AM
Moutianman

I am thinking that the 6.1 lb evo 125 is my best bet. It weighs more and with the tail weight that is a good thing. If I put a 29 x 10 prop on. It should slow the power range down a tad. Thoughts please?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
oh shoot. I forgot to tell you guys i did get a chance to re weigh before my incident and it cam in 48 pounds. I guess i was more upset then I thought and forgot to post the re weigh. And looked back and I even said it again about how much it weiged, and I even re stated the wrong weight. I am really sorry about the headaches that i may have caused while in my state of morning. I guess untell now I didn't realize how upset I really was.
I think we all can understand why you were so upset Cap, it was a very heartbreaking situation.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM
acdii

Reason I got the 168, no joke, I had a DA 100 sitting around on another plane I had no gumption to ever fly. Now that the struts I made will be good, I need to get the fuse in my shop and replace the RX and mount it in a different location.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Moutianman

Ordered 82" floats today and am moving all tail servos forward. Any other ideas on how to make the tail a tad lighter so I can cg this planes with the floats?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.