Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Park flyer, no covering???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Park flyer, no covering???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park flyer, no covering???

I have this park flyer that weighs less than 8oz when completed that is a solid sheeted frame. Can I skip the covering process and simply paint it?

What paint would be best to keep it light, preferably from Carr hardware across the street? And is there prep to do before the paint is applied. Or would it be best to order dope online?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040001.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	2208402  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Working on the assumption that there is not an .020 hiding under your hand and this is an electrically powered model you could paint it with just about anything. You could decorate it with a sharpie marker for almost zero weight gain. On a model like this you can cover it with tissue in which case the paint serves to adhere the covering. On small models the tissue can add quite a lot to the strength of thin section wood without adding a lot of weight. You can also use colored tissue to give color to the model without adding a lot of heavy pigment. This is where dope would be used for the paint although I have used shellac to adhere tissue, it just doesn't shrink as well as dope and isn't fuel proof. One thing that painting the wood does for you is it hardens the wood. This give resistance to dings and hanger rash and helps prevent warping due to moisture. There are a number of hardware store products that can accomplish this. I would avoid rattle can enamels due to the weight but shellac, lacquer or minwax polycrylic will all do a nice job of sealing the wood. Be aware that some of these products will cause the ink to run if you use a marker for decoration. The prep is usually specified by the product but for modeling purposes it is sand, lay down a thin coat of the product, sand off the fuzzies that the first coat raises and than give it a second light coat. All that being said I would probably go with one of the lightweight iron on coverings for the color and added strength.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with above post, paint might really add some weight, tissue or markers is the best for adding a nice color scheme. I think tissue would be best if done right.. but definitely easier to use markers.