Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building is Fun!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building is Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building is Fun!

Back in the 70s and 80s, There were so many companies out there selling kits,it was great. The same goes with engines. Now,things are going to ARFs.and RTFs.and it seems kits are fading out. It is just like the Cell and I phone, Everybody is in a hurry to get things done fast. Kit building is the fun part of this hobby. You learn allot about a plane and how it works,and it also builds up anticipation and excitement and pride, rather than buy and fly. Just thought I would offer my opinion. Thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
beepee

Agree on all points. Building is a whole different hobby than flying. I get many hours of therapy in the shop. True, builders have few choices in kits any more. There is always scratch/plans building. Ah, even more therapy.

Later. Going back to do some more building.

Bedford
Old 04-11-2017, 02:50 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is room for both in the hobby. I too really enjoy building, but I also have quite a few ARFs that I like to fly. Some of the newer foamy RTF birds are really impressive and fly fantastic. By lowering the initial barriers to entry, ARFs/RTFs are bringing new people into the hobby. Franky, without the ARF/RTF crowd, there wouldn't be much of the hobby industry left.

There is still a contingent of kit builders out there, and as Bedford pointed out above, even as new kits become harder to find, there is always scratch/plan building for us diehards.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Building planes is not only a hobby,but like Bedford said,Its Therapy. Especially when you get older. It keeps your mind active! using numbers,reading and figureing out what goes where. It will also (in my view) Delay Altzimers from setting in We under stand the dinamics of flight,But if you ask someone who is getting started using ARFs and RTFs. that is OK to. I flew Full scale along time a go (my uncles plane) never got my licence,but learned alot. Anyway, It never gets dull flying! Thankyou.

Lucky
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 AM
ibuild

It keeps the mind exercised and the bottle away, and you can continue enjoying the hobby the rainy days (or seasons!). I would not say that ready made planes is not valuable to actually get out flying, but personally I have a fundamental different consciousness and attention to something flying that I have actually build up my self, it just never gets boring.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:26 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree building is one of the fun things about the hobby. Started building the Small Change rcm #873 from plans a while back. Should be able to finish it up in a couple more weeks. I hope to retire soon and build for some of the plans I have picked up over the years.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
moparbob498

I kinda am back into building...Uhh, probably could use some pointers (hint..Hint) on this, I've found some info,..
I don't have the equipment to do a full-on build program, or I would attempt it, I will however upload my progress ect..
& When I get frustrated..Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_4568-temp_2-1432527861.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	2210737   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_4568-IMG_20170420_195523529_HDR878772156.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	2210738   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_4568-IMG_20170416_164840721_HDR-2096661571.jpg
Views:	20