Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How much do I pay?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How much do I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do I pay?

Hi guys!! I'm wanting to find a builder to finish my 1/4 scale N -17. I already built the wing halves upper and lower but have not joined them.
What would be a fair price to pay to have the kit finished by another builder? How much should I pay?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I had to look up the plane. Is it a Newport 17? The questions become, how scale do you want it? The more scale, the more in cost. I see you live down here in SWFla. A Top Gun Builder lives in Naples. True scale builders are not cheap. You could have more than a $1500 for just the builder. Remember too, built planes are always more expensive than ARF's from China. If you just want a 10' stand off finish, then it will be a lot cheaper. I suggest you get in touch with Bill Hatcher in Naples for a quote.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Drube, do you have any friends that also build? If so I would try to see if any of them wants to build with you.. whether its each of you working on your own plane...or both on yours.. Might make it easier.

It used to be a lot easier to hire someone to build for you . But now so few build it might take some serious money to convince someone. Your best bet might be to buy the same plane finished somewhere at a sale or online.. and keep yours for parts..or just slowly build it.

I can tell you from some past experience though.. building with friends on a kit is really enjoyable.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, yes it's the 1/4 scale Newport 17 from BUSA. I forgot to add that I plan on doing the covering with Solartex myself. I had a couple friends a few years ago that could have helped me out but they moved. I'm going for at 10' away it looks good look..lol Thanks Dan, i'll get in touch with him.