Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Hog Bipe and OS .61FX .....opinions????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Hog Bipe and OS .61FX .....opinions????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Hog Bipe and OS .61FX .....opinions????

I have a an OS .61FX sitting around and have always wanted a SIG Hog Bipe. I know that most guys put either a .91-1.00 4strk on theirs but I have seen a couple where guys put various .60 sized 2 strokes on them too. I'm looking for honest opinions on how the .61 would pull the Hog Bipe around. I like aggressive flying but cannot afford another engine right now with all the other projects that I have needing completed. So, would the .61FX be a dog or would it still provide spirited performance?

Thanks for any insight you can give!!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hog

The .60 2 stroke will pull it around fine,but a .90 4 stroke has the power in verticle performance.A biplane has a lot of drag,so you want power over speed.jeffo
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Saito 100 in mine and thought that it was overpowered and torquey. Later on I put an OS 65LA in it and I think the Hog was better behaved with the 65LA. I think the 61FX will be a good combination and more than adequate power.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

MIne started out with a K&B .65 and was a dog. I put an OS .91FS in it and it made quite a difference. I never did like that plane though. I felt it was way overweight and didn't fly right. However; a lot of guys love them around here. Anyway, the performance with an OS .60 2 stroke should be somewhere inbetween the K&B and a .91FS

carl
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The prop will make a big difference. You can probably use a 13x4 or 13x5 on your 61FX, which should give it tremendous low speed thrust, similar to a larger 4 stroke.

Also, I would take heed of the remark above about being overweight. Most kit designs from several years ago are built heavier than they need to be, and you can find places to reduce weight and still have a strong airplane. Keeping weight down is just as important as thrust when it comes to climb. It also allows you to fly slower and land slower.

Jim
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
F4 Phantom blue angles

I had a Hog Bipe with a 4-stroke on it, I think a .80 .I agree with the others, The .60 will do OK,however With a 4-stroke,that will turn a bigger prop,will be a great advantaged to you if you fly in the wind and go vertical.You have more pull with a 4-stroke than a 2-stroke. Most Biplanes are not meant for speed,rather for differant manuevers, Especially when landing, You want full control of your plane. Bottom line is, A .60 will fly it,but a good 4-stroke will give you total control. This is just my personal opinion.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

I used to have this combo, and while I preferred saito 100 the 61 flew it plenty well.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

I have a hog bipe with an OS 61 fx in it. I have absolutely nothing to complain about. It doesn't have unlimited vertical but it is still very decent. Pulls it around with a good deal of authority. If that is what you have to put in it you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 AM
flygilmore

Well, thanks guys.....I certainly appreciate the responses I got. Sounds like I should give it a try with the .61FX. I can certainly loose some weight here and there to reduce the total RTF weight. I've always enjoyed the SIG builds and always wanted a Hog Bipe so why not!!