Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hanger Designs Sea Cruiser II Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hanger Designs Sea Cruiser II Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger Designs Sea Cruiser II Build Thread

After lusting after one of these for some time, and not being able to find a kit, I finally got a hold of a set of plans for the 40 size model from a member (thanks Scott!) of my club. After several days of planning and sketching, I finally started cutting today. After a little more than two hours of work, including the 1/16th ply pattern, the wing is ready to start assembly.

Pic#1- The pile-o-lumber
Pic#2- 1/16 ply pattern with paper pattern adhered. Notes written on pattern help my short term memory loss problem.
Pic#3- The finished ribs. I still need to make the dihedral braces, but I need my copied plans back from from printshop first.

If there is interest in this project, I'll keep going. Right now I have planned to cut at least four of these for members of my club to build. I even found and called Bill (I think it was Bill) Johnson, the original proprietor of Hanger Designs and the designer of the Cruiser. He seemed truly happy to know that was still interest in his model, and gave me permission to copy his prints and cut kits for our club. Great guy and really great conversation.

Anyone with thoughts or ideas, please chime in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57606.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1077808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32710.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1077809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62988.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1077810  
Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Hanger Designs Sea Cruiser II Build Thread

Hi do you have a pic of the finished product. Might help stimilate interest. Thanks Huck
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 PM
reincarnate

Not me, but [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_788617/tm.htm]here's[/link] a link to a thread in the Seaplane forum.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Is that the wood you bought at Phil's? If it is, it looks beter than I thought it wood. Get it? Wood instead of would. This is going to be a great project. Maybe they could be test flown at your dad's pond.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Sounds like a great project reincarnate. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
reincarnate

Yup 4*, all wood came from Phils. Only thing he didn't have was 3x3 square balsa stock, and I had 3 blanks in the shop anyway. Hard to believe, I know!

Thanks Straightup. I gotta tell you, yours was the one that caught my eye and made me want one of these. Thanks for the inspiration

Anyway, not a lot of progress tonight, so I'll wait to post pics later. Got the fuse sides cut 2 solid 1/8" light ply blanks and got all the formers cut. I did all these on my band saw, and since I got a great deal on 4 sheets of the light ply that was cracked, (in an area that was cut out anyway!!) I cut 4 fuse sides at once; enough to do one more complete fuse. A few more nights on the saw should get all the parts cut, and then the real "build" can start.

More later.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 PM
silverwings
My Feedback: (21)

reincarnate, I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a Sea Cruiser II kit on RCU market place. I am interested in the status of your build. Did you complete it and if so, do you have any tips on construction and/or modifications that may be needed. I really like the looks of this airplane and was really surprised to see it for sale. I really love flying off water and am looking forward to having a flying boat type seaplane, again. My first was a Sea Monster, which was properly named. It was a monster on the water and hooked all the time. It was a little better in the air, but still was not that easy to fly.
Please send some pics of yours if you have them as I am trying to figure out how to cover it.
Rick
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Silver wings, I know reincarnate. We are in the same club. Here is a video of the finished Seacruiser. It turned out really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihPOQBsF2Q
Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Goinstraightup

Nice find Silverwings! I love mine! I would highly recommend building it stock. The plane is great as is. Follow the directions and plan and you will have a great plane. In my opinion the SeaCruiser is far superior to the Seamaster. I've flown both and the Seamaster is trainer like sometimes, but has some quirks with the tall motor pylon. The SeaCruiser is solid in all flight areas, and water handling is superb. It performs fine with the recommended powerplants. No need whatsoever to overpower it.

Any more questions let me know.

Here's some pics of mine in a thread that I started:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_788617/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]SeaCruiser II[/link]
Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM
silverwings
My Feedback: (21)

fourstar,
Thanks for the video, I have a grandson that loves Spiderman, also, so I like the color scheme he came up with. The video is great and the plane looks great in the air.
goingstraightup,
thanks for the tip about building it per instructions. The only question I have is about the ailerons. Would you use 2 servos or keep the touque rod design? I like the idea of 2 separate servos, but I do not know if water would be an issue. With the center mounted servo keeps the servo in the dry area, though. I really liked your SC II scheme, also. I am still torn about how to cover mine. I am looking forward to getting my kit and starting it.
What would you think about upscaling to a .60 size plane? I like that size airplanes and wonder what it would be like.
Rick
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Goinstraightup

You're not the 1st person to talk about blowing up to 60 size. I heard several people here on the seaplanes forum were thinking about it too, but I never saw any results - so don't know if it was done or not.

I also prefer dual ail servo's, but for this application the single and torqe rod works great and keeps the ail servo dry. I'd stay with the internal servo.

Any simple yet visible scheme will do. Just stick with something that shows up good in the air.

One of my fav moves with the SC is to get it up on the step and you can kick in some rudder and it does some nice side skids on the water. Very cool and fun!!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 AM
[email protected]

Default Sea Cruiser 11 60'' wingspan

Looking for info on the kit Sea Cruiser 11 kit i recently purchased. This Hangar Designs kit has 60'' wingspan. thanks in advance for help. orgin pricing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8843.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	752.4 KB
ID:	2218772  
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 AM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

I had one of these back in 90's. I thought it was a great kit. only thing I would have changed was that i Had an OS 61 on hit. more than it needed and probably accounted for excess weight. It seemed to ride low in the water and I had to "goose" it so the side sponsons were not catching heavy water.

cool plane for sure. will be watching build