Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Sukhoi 40

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Sukhoi 40

Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Midwest Sukhoi 40

I know this kit has been out of production for sometime. I got a Midwest Sukhoi 40 on its way (in the mail). I would like to know if there is anybody out there that build one. As this is only my second kit build. It states that it has a D- tube constructed wing. I'm not to sure what that is. Is it a good flying plane? Is it all balsa other that the ABS cowl? Should I renforce it with fiberglass? All around nice kit? How about ease of building? Thanks in advance, JT
Old 10-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Sewerdude

Anybody????
Old 10-13-2002, 01:51 AM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Built one years ago. Great kit, easy building, and a good flyer. D tube refers to the way spars and the top and bottom leading edge sheeting appear. Kind of like a "D". You don't need to fiberglass this kit, if thats what your asking, its plently strong. You'll enoy it but watch your elevator throw. I had to much and it snapped (to low). Never built a Midwest kit I didn't like.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Sewerdude

Ok, Great news Rugsmil. I was beginning to wonder if anybody ever built this kit. I'm looking forward to building it. Your in Demotte? Heck your only a stones throw from me. I'm in LaPorte. I belong to the Northern Indiana Modelers Assc. I plan on putting a TT 46 Pro in this bird. Thanks again, JT
The following users liked this post:
Jray74 (04-17-2021)
Old 10-13-2002, 03:18 AM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

I belong to the Crown Point Aeromodelers and we have a small field near Lowell. I flew my Sukhoi with a OS 45 FSR. Today I would use a 52 or 70 4C. Either engine is a good choice. Enjoy!
Old 10-14-2002, 02:23 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The "D-tube" has become an industry standard for many years, and is used in most kits right up to today.
Build it as called for in the manual/plans and your guarenteed to have one nice plane.

When flying though, especially landing, it will take a bit of technique, and land a quite a bit differently then any trainer. I've had several Sukhoi's of different manufacters, and every one lands the same. Typical of low-wing aerobatics they need a bit of power while on approach, right up to the threshold of the runway. Other then that, they will do anything in the book.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:32 AM
Jax RC-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Default SU-26

I built one and I am currently flying it every Sunday. It's an easy build, and the only fiberglass you'll nedd is where the wings join. I had a little trouble attaching the cowling, so it was modified some. I have an OS 46 with a pitts muffler, and it is very quick. The wing will stall really hard if you get too slow, and it will snap if too much elevator is used. But it will do all the maneuvers in the book. I especially enjoy the Lomchivics(spelling?), spins, snaps and knife edge. Have fun with it.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:47 AM
Comoxflyer

I am looking for the recommended C of G for the Midwest Sukhoi. I bought a finished model without the plans and plan to fly it shortly but the c of g is 1/4 inch behind the spar with the battery under the tank, the ABS cowl fiberglas reinforced and a TT 38 Pro up front.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2017, 10:25 AM
JayRec
My Feedback: (38)

I know this is a long shot but does anyone here still have the plans for this Midwest kit? I need wings for a finished fuse that I bought and cant find wing plans anywhere. I called Midwest and they no long have plans available
Any help is appreciated
Old 06-10-2017, 07:33 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I did a few quick searches... nothing so far... but there might be a few possibilities if you try the AMA plans service. I was surprised the Outerzone didn't have them, as they actually have many plans from discontinued Midwest planes. Just try a Google search every once in a while and see what pops up... and/or maybe someone will post back here.

This thread was kind of funny for me tonight... I surfed in on it as I was reading the "kit builders" forum... Then I read your post.. and thought I'd just do a quickie Google search for you.. then this thread came up on the Google search... so I was reading it... and I realized I posted to this thread almost 15yrs ago... so yeah... Some of us are still here.. on the same bar-stool we were 15yrs ago... Maybe the original poster is still around... look at their profiles and it will tell you "last activity"... or send one of them a message. Good luck with it.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 PM
JayRec
My Feedback: (38)

thanks so much I will keep searching. They must be out there somewhere. I will try your suggestion and message the original poster if he is still here.
I did find a full Sukhoi here locally by at $180 with no plans it's not a deal I'm willing to make. Thanks again and I hope your still flying in another 15 years from
now.