Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New user-anyone be willing to tell me what planes I have?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New user-anyone be willing to tell me what planes I have?

Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Dean1967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user-anyone be willing to tell me what planes I have?

As stated, I'm a new user. This is my first post. Please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong forum, however, since I don't know exactly what type of RC Airplanes I have, I wasn't certain where to post this. I have read the forum rules, and am quite certain that I'm not breaking any rules by asking my question.

My situation is that I've recently come upon four completed RC Airplanes. I know they were built from kits and are the non-electric type, made and flown from the 1970s-1980s. What I'm basically dealing with is an estate clean-out situation. The man (my father-in-law) that made and flew these planes is now 90 yrs old. He has given me/us the go-ahead to clear out his planes and the house contents as well.

Ive done some research yet can't find any planes that look like the ones I'm dealing with, and I imagine it would take many hours to be able to locate even one of the planes to identify what it is called, (and the name or brand of the kit he made it with as well..).

my question is, would I be allowed to post some photos so that people in this community, if willing, would be able to have a look and take a stab at what these planes are called?
thank you in advance.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:36 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Dean,
Go ahead and post em, lets see what you got.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:36 AM
Dean1967

Thanks very much.
Three of my photos show three different planes hanging from the ceiling. That fact, as well as poor lighting makes for not-so-great photos, but hopefully you can see enough to get an idea. The photo that has two planes standing vertically does show some lettering on the side, so I might do well to start my research with those. These seem more, (for lack of knowledge) commercial/kit-looking to me. The planes hanging up look like they may have been hand painted. Also, one of them has a mismatched nose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	2220607   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender[1].jpg
Views:	135
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	2220608   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender[2].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	2220609   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender[3].jpg
Views:	144
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	2220610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	2220611  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Airman98
My Feedback: (9)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been around since the 80s and those look like something that were probably built from a set of plans. If you are looking for a value I would say if I saw these at a swap meet I would guess they would sell for 20-40 dollars. The 2 standing up are more of what people might want today and depending on the condition you might get 100-150 for each one.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

The second photo looks like something from the Scimitar family of designs and the third is either a Balsa USA Force One or a Balsa USA Enforcer, Airman 98 is pretty much on the money with prices unless there is an exceptional or desirable engine mounted on one of them. Although they can often be revived old glow engines are often stuck after years of hanging from the ceiling.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Dean1967

Thank you both so much. I didn't know the hanging from the ceiling thing was at all common. I so appreciate your knowledge and feedback.
Thank you again!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

That white one with the stars might be a scat cat.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by Dean1967
Thank you both so much. I didn't know the hanging from the ceiling thing was at all common. I so appreciate your knowledge and feedback.
Thank you again!
Just to clarify;lots of us hang our models from the ceiling. What I was referring to was the tendency of model airplane engines to get stuck after long periods of not being used. The castor oil in the fuel congeals and stiffens until the motor wont turn. Motors can often be revived with judicious use of a little heat and solvents to soften the castor.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Dean1967 you might consider contacting a local club president to see if he or she could be of help .
Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 AM
Dean1967

Default New pic

Thank you for the suggestion that I seek out a local club president. I know that our dad used to fly these planes Somewhat locally, as there's a pennant from Rhinebeck NY, ( dated 1974) hanging on the wall still. But it seems to me there was a field even closer that he used regularly. From here I'll simply google, and see what results I can find. I think the graphics on this pennant are pretty cool, so here it is:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	2221915  
Old 06-30-2017, 08:17 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by Dean1967
Thank you for the suggestion that I seek out a local club president. I know that our dad used to fly these planes Somewhat locally, as there's a pennant from Rhinebeck NY, ( dated 1974) hanging on the wall still. But it seems to me there was a field even closer that he used regularly. From here I'll simply google, and see what results I can find. I think the graphics on this pennant are pretty cool, so here it is:
That pennant is totally cool!