Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kaos 60 arf wing tube issue

Old 07-16-2017, 08:03 PM
bhady

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kaos 60 arf wing tube issue

I recently purchased a Tower Kaos 60 ARF. I've found that the wing tube will not go through the fuselage. It seems the plastic tube liner in the fuselage is too tight. The tube fit in the wings is fine. Any solution? the tube liner in the fuse appears to be a thin plastic tube, I don't think sanding it is feasible. Removing it would create quite a bit of slop in the fit through the fuse.

bhady
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 AM
RBACONS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You could remove the existing and replace it with one you make yourself. Wrap the wing tube with a smooth layer of saran wrap and then lay up 2 or three wraps of 1 oz fiberglass cloth and finishing resin on top of the saran wrap (I would lay the cloth out on some wax paper, wet it out with the finishing resin, and then wrap it around the tube.) When cured you can remove the wing tube and cut your layup to the correct length. You'll probably have to open up the holes slightly in the fuse for the new wing tube sleeve. Put tight fitting ply donuts on each side of the new sleeve inside the fuse, put the wing tube in and the wings on and bolt them in. Then you can glue the ply donuts in place which will lock the new sleeve in at the correct placement. It looks like there are alignment pins in the wing so getting the correct incidence when doing this should not be a problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 AM
RCFlyerDan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, sanding is the best method and common with wing tube planes and jets. This is due to the mold release still in there. Take a dowel, cut a slice in one end of the dowel. A slit. Then take very fine sand paper, like over a 1000, 1500 is even better. Put the sand paper through the slit in the one end, and the other end of the dowel into a drill. Drill/sand the wing tube. Not aggressive, just a few passes.

Search this Thread