Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Making templates

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Making templates

Old 08-26-2017, 02:42 PM
swify

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making templates

I recently purchased a Midwest Aerostar 40 from a local hobby shop. I planning to make templates of the bulkheads and other parts that are not shown in the plans as to their size so I can perhaps reproduce them at some point. Just wondering if anyone has any hints as to the best material to make the templates out of?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:07 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably not bother making templates of the parts at this point in time. Depending on the complexity of the parts, it helps greatly to have a scroll saw and a good disc sander. If it were me, I would either trace them on a clean sheet of paper using a mechanical pencil, or even just xerox them. The copied parts will have a shadow (due to the part's thickness) but its easily discernible and can be ignored when cutting new parts.

If you really want templates at this point in time, probably the easiest for you to work with would be a clear plastic material call See Temp.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:04 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on photocopying. Many (if not most) home inkjet printers also have scan/copy capabilities these days and a color copy of the part is very easy to use as a pattern to cut a new part.

Last edited by aymodeler; 08-27-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some 1/4" square graph paper and tape the parts to it, then scan and save as a PDF. You can correct for any errors in scanning using the graph paper as a reference.