Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultra Sport 60 Gear question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultra Sport 60 Gear question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultra Sport 60 Gear question

To all of you who have built the Ultra Sport 60 as a tail dragger (regular gear, not retracts) I'm finally building one. I will be using a 95ax. What gear (fuselage mounted, not wing mounted) works well with this plane (aluminum, carbon etc..) Keeping in mind the power and prop clearance... I don't want to spend countless hours searching the web for solutions. I hope one of you has the answer!! Id prefer carbon fiber but aluminum will work too. Any ideas? Perhaps gear from an arf that I could special order?

I did order eflight retracts but with a grass runway id rather go regular body mounted gear. Something mounted just ahead of the wing but swepted back.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:37 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most aftermarket landing gears has specs in their description. Maybe something like this, is what you need. Great Planes Dural Landing Gear Large .60 | TowerHobbies.com
Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I used the one posted above for many years on the same plane. It's not CF but mine was a rocket with a ST.75. I just drilled and tapped the chin block and harden the threads with thin CA. Used three plastic 1/4x20 bolts. Never gave me a bit of trouble with hundreds of flights. I'm afraid most of the CF gear you find will be to tall. The Ultra Sport is pretty low slung. Another advantage to the ALUM is you can bend it to whatever height you need. I ran a 13x6 and I think you are going to need something in the 14" range.

David
Old 08-29-2017, 03:53 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a OS 75 on mine and when I build the next (I bought several kits) I will go to a .60 and then can use a 12" prop. I am using a 13" prop now and there is not much clearance with tall grass. The .75 is probably overkill as the original flew great with a 60.

Let us us know how it goes with the .95

Regards