Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Piper Cub - Great Planes maybe?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Piper Cub - Great Planes maybe?

I was just gifted this Piper J3 Cub and I see that I need a few parts to get her airworthy. Can anyone identify what brand this might be? The wings are roughly 76" long and use a single servo for the ailerons. The covering feels like fabric and not mono/ultrakote. Based on my initial inspection I believe that all I need are wing struts, landing gear and a cowl. If anyone can help identify this plane I'd be greatly appreciative.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2231760

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2231761

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2231762

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2231763

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2231764

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	2231765

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2231766

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2231767

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2231768

Last edited by flying_lion; 09-13-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe that is a Goldberg Anniversary Cub. The single front wing dowel (not two dowels), the single aileron servo, and the rear wing mounts and bracing are Goldberg Cub. It is a kit built version, not an ARF so the covering type is whatever the builder wanted. Fiberglass Specialties sells a fiberglass replacement cowl ( the one supplied in the kit was plastic) for this plane in both the J-3 and Super Cub style. Yes, you can make it into a semi scale Super Cub with the cowl conversion. You will have to fabricate your own wing struts and you can bent up your own main landing gear or find a dural aluminum that fits (Tower Hobbies sells one for the G.P. J-3 kit that should fit). This plane can be flown without the wing struts as they are on there for looks.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Great Planes Cub seems to match the wing span. Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub 40 Kit .40-.61,76.5" | TowerHobbies.com

The Goldberg Cub, does, too. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYXF6&P=SM

The strip ailerons suggest the Goldberg kit. I believe that the GP version has barn door ailerons.

Last edited by TomCrump; 09-14-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 AM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the Great Planes 40 size J-3 Cub kit and the Goldberg Anniversary Cub both have 76.5" wingspan however the kit built G.P. does not have barn door ailerons, it's the G.P. ARF Cub with 81" wingspan that has the barn door ailerons. Both 40 size kit built J-3's have strip ailerons and both call for a single servo with the G.P. using an old school bellcrank and linkage system and the Goldberg using two torsion rods like most current trainers. The G.P. fuselage has a stringer running down the side to give it some more shape whereas the Goldberg is slab sided like the one pictured. Of course the builder can opt to build that stuff any way he wants. It's the single wing dowel and the rear wing mounting configuration that makes me sure it's a Goldberg. Plus the G.P. uses a different servo plate in the fuselage than what the OP's plane has. I completed a Goldberg Anniversary Cub build about 8 months ago so I am familiar with their construction. Mine got many mods as I built it, dual aileron servos, Super Cub cowl, dural landing gear, but the basic structure of the airframe remains as designed. There are enough detail clues to convince me that this one is a Goldberg. BTY, to the OP.....If you go to Fiberglass Specialties for a cowl, I believe they can also supply a new front canopy (windshield).
Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a Goldberg Cub. I'd throw that in the burn pile. I have landing gear and a
cowl laying around if you want to get the pos back in the air. Shoot me an address and
and I'll mail it to you.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the help folks!

Originally Posted by 52larry52 View Post
Mine got many mods as I built it, dual aileron servos, Super Cub cowl, dural landing gear, but the basic structure of the airframe remains as designed. There are enough detail clues to convince me that this one is a Goldberg. BTY, to the OP.....If you go to Fiberglass Specialties for a cowl, I believe they can also supply a new front canopy (windshield).
The plane came with this FA-80 Golden Knight that I'll need to replace to bearings on and it got me thinking: where does the fuel tank sit?

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	2231929
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM
cubcrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The tank sits right behind the fire wall. I've built a ton of
these over the years. I've got plans too.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by cubcrasher View Post
That's a Goldberg Cub. I'd throw that in the burn pile. I have landing gear and a
cowl laying around if you want to get the pos back in the air. Shoot me an address and
and I'll mail it to you.
I absolutely do! PM on the way!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM
cubcrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the pm. I will send plans and instruction book too. The instructions for building
the struts are in the book, not hard at all.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

flying lion, Cubcrasher used terms like "burn pile" and "pos", and when I read that I went "OHHHH that's harsh, true but harsh"! That's "tough love". IMHO I would put this plane in the "good restoration candidate" category. Your assessment of "just needing a cowl, landing gear and wing struts" is way short of reality. I would make this a complete restoration, striping all the covering, repairing and regluing the airframe as needed, then completing the reassembly with new servos and linkage, maybe hinges, fuel tank, 2.4 RX and 6.0v battery, fiberglass cowl, covering of your choice, your rebuilt Saito, ETC. To just patch it and try to fly it is the wrong way to go. You didn't ask but that's just my opinion of what to do with this Cub. I wouldn't trash it, I would go the long haul and fix (restore) it right. Remember, "you can never have too many Cubs"!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the pm. I will send plans and instruction book too. The instructions for building
the struts are in the book, not hard at all.
You have no idea how big of a deal this is! I really appreciate this!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

flying lion, Cubcrasher used terms like "burn pile" and "pos", and when I read that I went "OHHHH that's harsh, true but harsh"! That's "tough love". IMHO I would put this plane in the "good restoration candidate" category. Your assessment of "just needing a cowl, landing gear and wing struts" is way short of reality. I would make this a complete restoration, striping all the covering, repairing and regluing the airframe as needed, then completing the reassembly with new servos and linkage, maybe hinges, fuel tank, 2.4 RX and 6.0v battery, fiberglass cowl, covering of your choice, your rebuilt Saito, ETC. To just patch it and try to fly it is the wrong way to go. You didn't ask but that's just my opinion of what to do with this Cub. I wouldn't trash it, I would go the long haul and fix (restore) it right. Remember, "you can never have too many Cubs"!
I welcome the opinions! My son said the same thing just last night, that we need to strip it and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Neither of us have any experience at all with applying new monokote/ultrakote/fabric and I believe this cub is just the one to learn on.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a Goldberg Cub. I'd throw that in the burn pile.
I am curious to know why you'd toss it. Are these particular builds bad fliers?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM
cubcrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No they are great flyers. I probably wouldn't can it either, it's just bad to look at. That
recover job will do the trick. Wifey and I went to lunch today and I mailed your parts
while we were out should have them in a day or two.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:18 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No they are great flyers. I probably wouldn't can it either, it's just bad to look at. That
recover job will do the trick. Wifey and I went to lunch today and I mailed your parts
That is fantastic news I really appreciate this!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 AM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

flying lion, If you do decide to go the full restoration route (and you should) may I suggest covering brands in order of "easiest to use" (again IMHO), 1st place tie with Tower Kote and China Cote; second place Ultra Cote, 3rd place old newspapers , and last place Monokote (or Monocrap as it is called around here). Be assured you will get other opinions on the subject of covering brands to use . Go for it and good luck.

Last edited by 52larry52; 09-14-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

flying lion, If you do decide to go the full restoration route (and you should) may I suggest covering brands in order of "easy to use" (again IMHO), 1st place tie with Tower Kote and China Cote; second place Ultra Cote, 3rd place old newspapers , and last place Monokote (or Monocrap as it is called around here). Be assured you will get other opinions on the subject of covering brands to use . Go for it and good luck.
I do believe that is exactly what we'll do. We'll probably give Tower Cote a day in court as well. I have to admit though that I like the fabric type coating that is one the cub now. What is that type of coating called?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
52larry52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are several brands of iron on fabric covering and I have no idea what is on your plane. Coverite 21st Century fabric covering is the one I have used and I was quite satisfied with how it went on, shrunk up, and has held up over time. The downside is cost. Tower currently sells Coverite fabric covering for $29.99 for a 6' roll, and Towerkote is $4.99 for a 6' roll. Huge difference, especially if you are likely to waste some learning how to do this. The cloth covering is nice but not a good pick at this time. The China Cote from Hobby King and the Towerkote from Tower Hobbies are the least expensive yet I have had good results with both. They both shrink up a lot to hide errors and are easier to get a good looking finished job than some of the other more "name brand" coverings. Of the name brand coverings Ultra cote from Horizon Hobbies is my pick but it also costs more, $17.00-$18.00 per 6' roll. MonoKote goes for about $14 a roll but is not for beginners in my opinion. Go with the Towerkote. Hope you noticed that I put old newspapers ahead of Monokote .
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are several brands of iron on fabric covering and I have no idea what is on your plane. Coverite 21st Century fabric covering is the one I have used and I was quite satisfied with how it went on, shrunk up, and has held up over time. The downside is cost. Tower currently sells Coverite fabric covering for $29.99 for a 6' roll, and Towerkote is $4.99 for a 6' roll. Huge difference, especially if you are likely to waste some learning how to do this. The cloth covering is nice but not a good pick at this time. The China Cote from Hobby King and the Towerkote from Tower Hobbies are the least expensive yet I have had good results with both. They both shrink up a lot to hide errors and are easier to get a good looking finished job than some of the other more "name brand" coverings. Of the name brand coverings Ultra cote from Horizon Hobbies is my pick but it also costs more, $17.00-$18.00 per 6' roll. MonoKote goes for about $14 a roll but is not for beginners in my opinion. Go with the Towerkote. Hope you noticed that I put old newspapers ahead of Monokote .
I did notice newspapers ahead of Monokote! It looks like we have a project for the winter now. Thank you all for the input!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 AM
flying_lion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Box received, and, what a surprise! Yes sir, I do believe that gear will work. Again, thank you!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
cubcrasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad I could help, keep us posted on the rebuild.