Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Skylark 70 Build Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Skylark 70 Build Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:21 PM
tapeandglue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Skylark 70 Build Question

Hi all...
Well Winter is breathing down my neck and it is time to build something. I am thinking of a Skylark 70 short kit from Laser Works. I have a couple questions...
1. Anyone know of a good build log for this plane ?
2. Because the plane is a little "tame" I am thinking of reducing the dihedral. It looks from what I can see it is 1 1/2 " on each wing. I'm thinking of going to 3/4" to 1" on each wing.
Does anyone have any experience on this ?

Thanks....!!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A nice looking airplane that never was. The only one I know of has been displayed at Toledo. CG considered kitting the airplane but it never happened so this model was drawn to represent what CG would have produced. It looks to be a nice flyer and easy to build so have at it and start a thread. Eddie produces a nice kit so you should have no problems.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not built one but I can only assume the generous dihedral was to help with stability at the time this was designed. It being a 'low' wing, I wouldn't remove to much but there should be no issue in removing 1\2" on each wing. Also consider removing a bay on each wing. Will increase roll response. Looking at some pics it doesn't look to be 1.5 on each side but that big wing can be deceiving.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a relative r/c beginner in the mid 1980's I built and flew the GB Skylark 56. Built exactly per the plans it flew very well.
Excelled at "Sunday aerobatics" and, as I remember I learned a lot flying it. Met it's demise because I foolishly allowed a full scale Air Force pilot to "give it a try". What engine are you considering for it? I've been racking my brain for a winter project and another, but larger, Skylark would bring back some fond memories.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's one by Dave Platt at Toledo a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2245005  

Last edited by Michaelj2k; 11-13-2017 at 06:17 PM.