Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build

Old 03-28-2018, 03:05 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Rick, I bought those wheels about 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure this is where I got them from...they are very good quality wheels.
3.5"-89mm Eight Spoke PU Wheels(pair)_Wheels(Tire and Rim set)_Welcome to SPOTONRC
Thanks Vince,
and yes, those are very nice tires/wheels.

Hope you'll show us the fiberglass work once you get to building the cowl and pants.
I have yet to try my hand at building a mold/buck and fiberglassing. I have done some repair work on bigger stuff.
But very little fiberglass work for RC planes.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I sure will Rick, I'll probably start on it in the Fall, until then I plan on getting my share of "flying" in at my club.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 AM
VincentJ

Still waiting for the weather here to clear and warm-up so I can get this Tiger in the air! Still having on and off snow showers, in fact it's snowing as I type this...

Tomorrow night my club is having its annual "Show-n-Tell" event. Members bring their winter builds finished or not to display, members and guests in attendance will vote on Best Scale, Best etc... I am going to enter my big Sig Morrisey Bravo, and if I can fit it in the back of my truck my Tiger will also make its first public appearance. My Tiger may be plain, but I think those that take the time to look at it will appreciate the time and effort that went into it. I am proud of them both. I hope they are well received! I'll post some pics of the event...

Last edited by VincentJ; 04-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure that both models will be well received. Have fun while displaying them.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 AM
VincentJ

Thanks Tom, it was a lot of fun last night on so many different levels. It was great to see friends that I haven't seen in a while. There were some very impressive looking planes last night and I was happy to display both my Bravo and Tiger there. Both models were very well received. It was gratifying to have others look at my planes and appreciate the time and effort that went into making them. My Bravo was awarded best in Scale and my Tiger was awarded best kit/scratch model! I enjoyed answering all the questions that were asked. One gentleman made me smile when he had asked about the rivets on my Bravo. After explaining to him just how I did it, he shook his head and in a typical NH Yankee droll said " Seems to me you need to get a life"... lol

I got home late last night, and as I pulled in my driveway the wind was gusting pretty hard. I opened all the doors and turned on all the lights to make entry into my house easier with my big Bravo in my arms. Trying not to ding my model, I carefully made my way into the first doorway and then wouldn't you know it, power failure! There I was in pitch black darkness holding my Bravo. I think I may have shouted a few choice words... it took me quite a while to find my way into my house without damaging my planes or my walls. I really don't know how I did it without causing some type of damage.

When I get home from work today I'll post the pics I took last night...

Last edited by VincentJ; 04-05-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Apologises in advance but since this thread is on the Goldberg Tiger I thought I would add part of an email I just received with a clue of the fate of this kit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hbysrvicelogo.gif
Views:	46
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	2259842
Important Notice Regarding the Sale of Your Personal Information and Your Right to Opt-out
Dear Valued Customer:As you may be aware, Hobby Services' parent company, Hobbico, declared bankruptcy in January 2018 and has initiated a sale process.We are excited to share with you that the RC brands and Hobby Services website that you have come to rely on over the years will continue. The Bankruptcy Court has approved the sale of Hobbico's RC business to Horizon Hobby, LLC. Horizon Hobby has been in business since 1985 and serves customers in the United States and around the World. Horizon Hobby also maintains a strong online presence and warmly welcomes Hobbico customers to its growing family. With this acquisition, Horizon Hobby looks to build upon Hobbico's great reputation for providing quality RC products to customers across the country. More information about Horizon Hobby can be found at https://www.HorizonHobby.com.As part of the sale, Horizon Hobby is purchasing Hobbico's customer databases. The Hobbico Privacy Policy provides that the company will not share any personally identifiable information with any third party without your consent. Under this Privacy Policy, you have the right to opt-out of the sale and the transfer of your personal information to Horizon Hobby, and of receiving future e-mail or mail communications from Horizon Hobby.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Vincent, good to see you had some fun with your airplanes until it came time to get them in the house, sorry I laughed as it was kinda comical from my end. "Boy", no end to your weather, spring has to show up some time, things aren't much better here.

Shop is a busy place, trailer takes up most free space, A/C is finished, new step is on and I'm almost finished stripping that small amount of vinyl off. I have some new vinyl to finish cutting for replacement. Nice to have the heated shop to do these things.

Take care Vince,

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 04-05-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM
VincentJ

My Tiger!

This is my Morrisey Bravo.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

I like the way you shot the pictures to conceal the guard with the 10ga. shotgun!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:46 PM
TomCrump

Both are high quality builds. You've done an excellent job !
Old 04-17-2018, 10:24 AM
VincentJ

Still waiting for the weather to cooperate for my maiden. Yesterday we had a two hour delay at school because of snow, ice and rain. Today a bit of snow. If anyone knows where Spring is, could you please send it my way! My Tiger is patiently waiting!!!

Last edited by VincentJ; 04-18-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

We may hit 60 by the end of the week in the Seattle area. Doesn't mean we won't have rain though, had over 3" this month alone, roughly double what's normal
Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 AM
VincentJ

Nice Hydro, send some of that my way please! I'm off next week and it would be grand if the weather cooperated so I could maiden my plane!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:32 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Nice Hydro, send some of that my way please! I'm off next week and it would be grand if the weather cooperated so I could maiden my plane!
After 6 six days of snow, it finally stopped yesterday. We are expecting 50s by the weekend. Hopefully the improved weather will be heading your way.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

How long do you think it will take to melt the snow and dry the ground out?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
How long do you think it will take to melt the snow and dry the ground out?
We had 6-8" a week before this last storm. It melted within a week, just in time for another blast.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well I certianly hope you have had your last Spring blast and you don't get any summer blasts!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 PM
VincentJ

Well Tom it appears that winter is still in your area as well. Let's hope for some warm weather soon!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 AM
VincentJ

My first attempt last week to maiden my Tiger didn't quite go as planned. It was last Tuesday, I loaded my plane into my truck and headed down to our flying field which for me is about 45 minutes away from my home. Weather was near perfect. While assembling my Tiger I felt excited about my maiden. All nuts and bolts were re-checked followed by a range check. Everything was good, all that was needed was to fuel her up, so I went to my pick-up to get my gas can only to realize that I left it home! Not good

Fast forward to yesterday, 2nd attempt to maiden my Tiger. This time I remembered my gas can!!! Couple of quick flips of the prop brought my DLE to life. One of my flying buddies lifted my Tiger off our clubs test stand and set her down on the runway. I gave him a nod and he let her go, now with my Tiger on her own I gently advanced the the throttle stick. My Tiger didn't disappoint me, it tracked dead nuts straight down the runway and was quickly airborne! After gaining some altitude all that was needed for her to fly straight level and true was a few clicks of up elevator which got her flying level and hands free, no other adjustments were needed. After a few laps I held my breath as I put my Tiger through a few rolls. Now confident that the wing wasn't going to break off, I made a few more circles around the field then decided it was time to bring her back. She landed without any mishap, but a bit hot for my liking. I am going to experiment moving the CG back about 1/2 inch and see if that slows her down.

All in all it was a great ending to this build, my DLE engine proved more than capable pulling my Tiger around with authority. All of the modifications made to the wings, tail and fuselage were a huge success and would highly recommend them if you are considering building your own Tiger. Fueling my tank with the canopy in place also went as planned, I didn't spill a drop! I look forward getting my engine broken in so I can have some real fun! I took a few pictures, but I'm afraid I don't have any airborne shots to post. I will though next time out.

Last edited by VincentJ; 05-02-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:50 AM
TomCrump

Congratulations, VJ !

Once you remembered the gas can, I'm glad that all went well.

I enjoyed your thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your build.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Does this mean Vincent is a HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Congratulations, VJ !

Once you remembered the gas can, I'm glad that all went well.

I enjoyed your thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your build.
Thanks Tom! I enjoyed sharing this build with all of you as well. It went pretty quickly, 3 months from opening the box to redesign to finished product! Don't you just love happy endings...

Last edited by VincentJ; 05-02-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Does this mean Vincent is a HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!?
Yes, Vincent is very happy and now has a plane to fly! Thanks for following this build Hydro...
Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 AM
CLuessen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vincent,
it was great fun following your build!!
hope you have many hours of flying her this spring.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Vince, Finally a job well done will also fly well, I never expected anything less and it's always a good feeling getting the maiden in on a modified build. Your Tiger will surely give you a lot of joy, it's that kind of plane now. I was kinda surprised when you said it lands kinda hot, Mine almost floats in and doesn't even need the flaps, matter a fact it doesn't even really stall and drop like a lot of planes.I think after you get some time on it you will be surprised at how wild or tame it can be.

Leroy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.