Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Proctor-Enterprises 1:4 scale Fokker DVII Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Proctor-Enterprises 1:4 scale Fokker DVII Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
usrbinkevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proctor-Enterprises 1:4 scale Fokker DVII Build

Hello everyone, my name is Kevin, and I'm from Folsom, CA. I thought I would introduce myself with a full build of Proctor-Enterprises 1:4 scale Fokker DVII. I am expecting delivery of the kit within 1-2 weeks, and will be updating the post as frequently as possible. Feel free to subscribe, and I'll be sure to respond to any questions or feedback you may have.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: Proctor-Enterprises 1:4 scale Fokker DVII Build

Welcome to RCU Kevin. Looking forward to your build.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Great idea... There are very few build threads on this particular kit on any of the forums. You might also want to sign up and check out the Proctor sub-forum at rcscalebuilder. Lots of good ideas there...
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll love the kit! Lot of nice parts and the plans are exquisite!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 AM
usrbinkevin

Thanks for the welcome guys! It shouldn't be much longer now.

jharkin- I made an account on RCSB not too long ago, and did some fairly extensive research in the proctor sub forum. It was a very thorough site. The fact that I was unable to find a full build of the DVII on that site, or, to the best of my knowledge, anywhere else on the web, made me want to start this thread.  Do you know of any that exist?

arup- have you built the kit yourself? I'd love to hear any related input
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Suscribed
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM
usrbinkevin

Excellent. I just spoke to Joe of Proctor Enterprises and he says that the kit will be shipped tomorrow. Shouldn't be more than a few a days now
Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome and nothing but the best of luck doing a build thread on RCU. New builds are always a welcome item.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the never built it but have all the scale Proctor kits except the Albi. I have an Antic Bipe kit, too! I've built the VK Triplane and use lots of Proctor fittings in other scratchbuilds. I have been mulling over starting the E-III or D-VII once some other projects can get finished.... you know how that is, lol. Looking fwd to your build.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM
usrbinkevin

Today is a great day! The kit has arrived in excellent condition, and the cuts are truly incredible. The metal cowlings are a work of art on their own. As to be expected, there's plenty of lumber to sort and label. Here's a photo of the contents. I'm going to be using an iPhone for the majority of the build, so let me know about picture quality. Plan pics to come shortly..

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
usrbinkevin

Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

I have the full kit and a Laser V-300 sitting on a shelf awaiting retirement in 7 or 8 months. As build threads on this kit are scarcer than hen's teeth, I'll be following your build with great interest and probably not a few annoying questions :-)

sp
Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
The Old Skeptic

Hi Kevin and the rest of you. My name is Ed and I'm from Sunny Newbury Park (really Shangrila because it's so beautiful here), CA. I'm in the final stages of building a Proctor 1/4 scale Fokker D.VII and chose to emulate Rudolph Stark's "Lilac" of Jasta 35b, p. 42 of Anthology 2. I am powering it with the Laser 300V twin engine with a FEMA onboard starter. The fuse and all of its components are complete and both wing structures are completed also. I just finished covering the lower wing with Glenn Torrances' lozenge linen fabric as I did the fuse (multi coats of dope to follow when it's warm) and am in the process of doing the same thing now with the top wing.

I has really been an enjoyable project, while very clearly a labor of love, but I won't tell you how many years I have been working on it. I have taken 200+ pics so far of the construction so that I will have its build documented in the event that I will want to compete with it in the Scale Masters event. You will want to take a lot of pics along the way also and don't worry about taking too many. You can always get rid of ones you don't want.

When I finish this baby and successfully fly it (it HAS to fly - otherwise it will just be a "model airplane" that finds its way hanging from a ceiling somewhere) I would like to start a thread of my own just to show its stages of development. I don't want to interfere with your thread here, because this is YOUR project, but if you would like to see pics of where I'm at right now, I would like to share them with you. You can PM me with your email address and I can email them to you. Otherwise, I could show them right here for you as well as for any of your interested viewers. It would give you kind of an idea of what you're shooting for. I have been greatly encouraged by many other's efforts all along the way. I think we need some of that just to keep going, because there is a lot of work to this - especially a "museum piece" like the one you're building.

Ed
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
wireman
My Feedback: (13)

Good news Kevin as I have also found building info very scarce. I am just starting on the Arizonas Models DVII with all the neat scale pieces. Keep the info coming.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:33 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SO???? Do any of the Proctor DVII's ever get finished? Every thread on the RC sites just stop somewhere along the build. Just thought I would ask.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Nintendomaniac_00

Good question Jeff. I also have a Proctor D-VII kit and would like to see what others have done building this great model
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
wireman
My Feedback: (13)

After 2 1/2 years I finally did finish and maidened my Arizona Modelers D7, balance point on the plans turned out to be a little tail heavy so it was hairy to get back down but went well otherwise. Added some more nose weight and waiting for a calmer day to try again, it really did not like the crosswind at all!!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crosswinds and WWI do not mix. Nope, not at all. I have thought about buying a Proctor kit. I have built 4 Balsa USA DVII's and I think I would like to really go all out in the scale department just once. But that is easier to do with a closer to scale from the start kit. I love my Balsa USA birds, and have made over 80 changes and scale up grades to a few. But I really think its time to do my "master piece". And I can't find a Glen Torrance kit for sale. So I think its a Proctor for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale_Fly_2013_121.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	2125189   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030832.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2125190  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Nintendomaniac_00

Nice! Proctor kits are first class - you wont be disappointed
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Aalaadin
My Feedback: (1)

Default Well this just petered out...

Originally Posted by usrbinkevin
Click image for larger version

Name:	dba126f0.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	2245897

...Okay then what?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, there are a lot of hard checks to enthusiasm on complex builds. I often wonder the rest of the story when you see a post like this?

Many big Bud Nosen kits don't get finished until the 2nd or 3rd owner...
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Yes, there are a lot of hard checks to enthusiasm on complex builds. I often wonder the rest of the story when you see a post like this?

Many big Bud Nosen kits don't get finished until the 2nd or 3rd owner...
I must agree I have picked up several unfinished projects because the builder gave up for lack of enthusiasm, health, and assorted other reasons. I know I have several projects stalled because life gets in the way. It seems scale WWI are a common victims, the builder gets to looking close at the complexity at the task in hand and start to question their abilities or psych themselves out. I have been fortunate in when I have started questioning myself and just dove in I discovered it was as difficult as I thought. Fear of the unknown I guess.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really think wire work breaks a lot of hearts... And then making the wings aligned just right.. it can be tough sometimes.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Aalaadin
My Feedback: (1)

Default Proctor D7

I have to agree. I lucked into such a project last week. I purchased a started Proctor D-7, taking delivery this Sunday. Maybe I'll document it here. All that is started is one side of the fuselage... which was cut to fit back in the box , so a quick run to the hobby shop or home depot for the dowels, steam the curve back in and Bob's yer Uncle new kit again. I hope I don't get discouraged as I also bought an Enya VT 240 N.I.B. to fit in the nose.

Last edited by Aalaadin; 11-23-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:22 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Foodstick, your posts are particularly relevant to me just now since I have been inspired by your Proctor N.28 rehab over on RCSB. I framed up and mostly covered an N.28 over a decade ago and then got sidetracked with a BUSA N.17 and the N.28 has been on the back burner ever since. I've been cleaning up the N.28 and the fuselage will need to be recovered. I'm particularly interested in your carbon fiber modifications and the aileron linkage. When I bought my kit it showed signs of having been passed around. It came with a Dubro belt drive for a .60 engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.