Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Required Tools & Materials - BUSA 1/4 J3 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Required Tools & Materials - BUSA 1/4 J3 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Threelittlefish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUSA 1/4 J3 Cub Build

I am getting back into building after a 20 year hiatus. Life has a way of getting in the way. I purchased a 1/4 scale BUSA J3 Cub. With 20 years of change I was wondering if I could get suggestions in regards to what I will need to build this kit. Tools and materials. I also need a recommendation for a radio and engine. Thanks in advance! This is going to be fun!

Last edited by Threelittlefish; 12-08-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I built my BUSA Cub using an x-acto knife and razor saw, c-clamps, and a band saw. Pins were used to hold parts to the building board. Soldering is required, if you use the kit supplied landing gear. A dremel tool is always handy in any build. Mine is covered with Solartex, so a covering iron and heat gun were used.

I was using these same items 20 years ago. LOL

For an engine, a 1.60 to 1.80 glow twin would be awesome. If going gas, I suggest an engine with a rear carb and rear exhaust. This will reduce the amount of cutting required to fit the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0539.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2246984  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:41 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

A J3 cub flies on its wing - not by an abundance of power. I have a quarter scale J3 and it's powered with a .91 4-stroke and flies just like a cub should. More than enough power. I may however re-power it with a small gasser as I have a use for the 4-stroke in another plane.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Balsa USA ¼ cub I built several years ago and it is still flying. I powered it with a gasoline engine (Zenoah 38) because I use it the tow a 30’ banner, tow gliders up and a camera platform. The high cost of glow fuel is enough reason to go with a gasoline engine. There are many gas engine and everyone has your favorite brand, the forums will help you decide. Zenoah engines have proven the be one of the best on the market I think, plenty of power, user friendly and they last forever. I have had a Zenoah 23 on a several planes & now on a WW I ¼ scale airplane, that I know is 20 years old. The Zenoah 26 will provide good power for your cub. Sometimes if you watch the classified section (Gasoline Engines) of this site, you can find some great deal on used & new engines. I have bought new 26’s for more than $100.00 less than the listed price at the hobby shops or mail order sites. You have plenty of time to look for the engine, I would hold out to find a new one over a used one. Also, you can find other hobby related tools & equipment on the classified section, IE, covering tools, starters & build tools. Also, for build tools, you should look at Harbor Freight, Wall Mart, Amazon, name a few. For example, I bought a rotary tool from Wall Mart, same as Dremel, for several $ less. Harbor Freight is good for wood working tools, power saws, sanders, drills & bits, clamps, small screwdrivers, etc. Seem like items list as RC related are higher than the same type of items else where. It pays to look around and ask other modelers.

I would strongly suggest you check out the construction threads in the forums on this site RCU and RC Scale Builder (RCSB), better yet you should do your own construction thread. Buy doing your own thread you can show progress of your build, post pictures, and other modelers will offer suggestions, comments and advice. These forums are a great source for information and help. Also, if you don’t have your radio equipment yet, they will suggest them. I recommend you select a name brand, the rc system is the most important item. It controls the model you spent time and expense building. I hope this will point you in the right direction. Ask questions, molders are great guys who are more than willing to help. The forums are great.
Here are some pictures of my Cubs over years.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin’
Rich

Name:	CUB-5-.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2246988   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F  Cub Man.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2246989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar-24-1-x.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2246990   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC-14.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	2246991  

Last edited by jwrich; 12-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Threelittlefish

Thanks for the responses. I just bought CA thick and thin, 15 minute epoxy, Gorilla carpenters wood glue, xacto knife and blades, mixing cups with sticks and t-pins. I'm sure there will be tools I'm forgetting.

I also bought a Saito 182TD 2 cylinder 4 stroke. $719 with free shipping seemed like a good deal. Any objections?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Threelittlefish
Thanks for the responses. I just bought CA thick and thin, 15 minute epoxy, Gorilla carpenters wood glue, xacto knife and blades, mixing cups with sticks and t-pins. I'm sure there will be tools I'm forgetting.

I also bought a Saito 182TD 2 cylinder 4 stroke. $719 with free shipping seemed like a good deal. Any objections?
I like your engine choice.

Add a razor saw to your tools, and you should be able to start building your Cub.

It's nearly impossible to buy everything you need, all at the same time. There's always something that you'll want to add.

This is a link to my BUSA Cub build thread, if you're interested. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-1-4-Scale-Cub
Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

An additional tool that is both inexpensive and very useful is one of the little refillable propane torches from Harbor Freight. They are very handy for soldering landing gear.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget the wax paper to cover the plans!

carl
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's good to see another returning to building R/C after a long time away from it, something a lot of us older guys have done. there hasn't really been much of a change when it comes to building but the kits are better quality for the most part. Bigger planes build pretty much the same as the smaller ones, if you have past building experience the Sig cub should be no problem for you, it's a nicely done kit as your probably finding out. I see you have started buying supplies, you might add some medium CA and 30 min. epoxy for engine and gear mounts, it's stronger than 15 min which works well on lighter stress areas

Just getting started again I assume you will be building out of the box and following the instructions, which is a good way to go at it. There is scale landing gear made for this plane by Robart, Tower hobby has it, you might even want to shop for a scale strut kit with hardware for the 1/4 scale J3. Fiberglass specialties might still be making a glass cowl for the Sig 1/4 scale J3 cub, much better than the ABS that came in the kit if you can still get it.

As you see there are many options available when building these planes, it's nice to have some choices. As one mentioned why not build it here with your own build thread, there is a lot of good help and knowledge to be had along the way.

My plane is a Balsa 1/4 scale J3 made into a super cub, not much different than the Sig kit, shows what can be done with these kits. good luck with yours Threelittlefish.

Leroy

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2247124  
Old 12-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Threelittlefish

Changed the title of this thread to show it as a build. Lots of beautiful cub pics. Wow! I purchased the Robart gear already and Dubro tires. I looked for the Strut kit but nothing so far. I am also researching a fiberglass cowl and tailwheel. Any recommendations for a tailwheel?

Things to get...

Wax paper
Propane torch
Dremmel
Clamps
Medium CA
30 minute epoxy
Tailwheel assembly
FG cowling
Struts
Razor saw

Thanks for the link to your build Tom! Lots of good info there! Leroy your Supercub is amazing. Looks real if not for the scale of the doors in the background!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:00 AM
TomCrump

I've been using tail wheel gear from Ohio Superstar. They have a couple that are suitable for your Cub.

This is the one I use, but there is a more scale like version, too. Large Leaf ? Ohio Superstar Products
Old 12-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Threelittlefish another Ohio Superstar tail wheel at tower hobby, part# LXBN39 for $21.95 and a strut set at Horizon Hobby for the H9 1/4 J3 cub part# HAN4562 for $ 87.99, I used them on my super cub, very nice aluminum set.

If you would like to go scale on parts of your build you might find some interesting ways to make them on my build sight.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2278119 An example of what can be done to that tail wheel and many other things that are hand made for this plane, here's one here.

Leroy

Name:	IMG_1064.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2247233