Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

which one? hots or stinger?

Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 PM
supersparky
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default which one? hots or stinger?

If you could pick which one? Big hots or giant stinger? Both on a g62. Anyone flown both? Which one is more capable? Stronger? Faster? More agile?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both fly well but build heavy by modern standards. Take your pick, you won't go wrong either way but I prefer the Stinger. I think it presents itself better in the air. I always thought the Hots to be a bit of an ugly duckling but I guess the Stinger is no beauty queen either.

You might want to consider the new Great Planes 50 / 60 size stick if an ARF will fit your needs.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:59 AM
supersparky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually kind of like the look of the hots, I've got the plans for the big Hots and if I were to build it I'd enlarge all the surfaces and probably even add provisions so I could put winglets on it like all the new planes have my extreme flight certainly likes them. I do have the Great Plains 50cc reactor and love it I also have the old school uproar and love that figured either of those two airplanes would be like the Uproar good for yanking Banking and lots of touch-and-goes
Old 12-27-2017, 05:13 AM
carlgrover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For my money I'd go with the Stinger because I like the looks of it better. However; I think it would be a very worthwhile investment to do a search for a build thread for both planes before making a decision. If I remember correctly, I think the Stinger is hard to build and there are some mods that have to be done to the fuse to keep it from breaking just behind the wing saddle area. I think the Hots may have similar issues due to it's design. The original Hots was built in one piece with a non removable wing. Years ago you couldn't go to the flying field without seeing a couple. I miss those days.

carl
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One severe drawback from both of these planes is the HUGE one piece wing. Its like transporting a piece of plywood everytime you go flying. These days, I much prefer planes that have separate wing panels as it makes transportation so much easier. The Stinger wasn't especially hard to build but it is old school with lots of wood and foam ..... and plastic. Another problem with the Stinger was all the molded plastic .... cowl, wing cover, deck and wheel pants. Many people modified these planes to use more wood structure. The plastic cowls / wheel pants were often replaced with fiberglass parts. The big Hots was mostly a wood structure and lots of wood at that. I no longer remember if the Hots used a foam wing or not. While I'm old school and much prefer to build, these days it would be hard to justify the cost of one of these planes. By the time you buy and assemble all the components, the cost would probably be twice that of an equivalent ARF.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:50 PM
supersparky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one piece Wing does not bother me up until recently due to a buddy of mine flying his trainer straight into the side of it I've been flying a Nifty sporting a G62 and right in the ballpark of 90 in Wing. Basically a g 62 size trainer. It's been a riot I love the big airplanes I love the old school airplanes. That's what I'm looking for is a big old sport plane. Just want to know which would be the better one. I do have a 55cc reactor, 50cc Katana, double vision, 30 cc Yak 55 and about 25-30 others. I just seem to have the most fun with the old school designs, thekind I dreamt about 25-30 years ago when I was a kid just walking across the street to the RC field and saving lunch money to build my first PT 40.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Truckracer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Supersparky, I understand your desires and direction very well. Sounds very similar to my own. I too enjoy a wide range of airplane designs, both new and old. Each has something unique to offer.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up Hots

Originally Posted by supersparky View Post
if you could pick which one? Big hots or giant stinger? Both on a g62. Anyone flown both? Which one is more capable? Stronger? Faster? More agile?
hots